jo&jo

GC not received after 5 months of entry

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey All,

I got my I-551 stamp on my passport (CR1) and reached US on Sept 1st 2011. But I haven't received the Green Card yet, and it has been 5 months since I got here. I called the USCIS # 800-375-5283 a couple of times, and they said that the card is in production and that I would get it soon. Anyone has any idea on whether I could at least know why its getting delayed?

Have you received the welcome notice yet? It should have the tracking number for your GC. If not, do yourself a favor and have USC spouse contact the local congressman and have them look into the matter for you. The last thing you want is USCIS saying they mailed it out but post office lost it and asking you to do I-90 WITH fee payment -- you shouldn't have to pay for something you never received. If you do a search on this topic my info will come up how I dealt with this and finally received my GC through congressman's assistance.

Good luck!

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Suggest you call back, get an ISO, a Tier 2 Rep,

then ask the ISO -

do you have any mailing pieces that were returned to you?

If so, lets verify my address ..

Then after you verify the address, ask them to remail all returned mail pieces to you.

and then, after hanging up the phone -

PRINT UP A NAME CARD of all that live at that address, glue it to the inside of the post box. USPS carriers are notorious for returning mail if they are uncertain about who lives there.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

are u able to issue a driver license without the GC? and did you received your SS#?

====================================================================================

USCIS

September 16, 2011 - petition sent

September 20, 2011 - NOA-1

September 27, 2011 - NOA-2

NVC

SEPTEMBER 30 2011 CASE RECEIVED waiting for case number

OCTOBER 19 2011 RECEIVED THE CASE NUMBER BY PHONE

OCTOBER 26 2011 AOS BILL INVOICED AND PAID

OCTOBER 26 2011 Choose of agent email sent(DS3032)

OCTOBER 28 2011 Received AOS/DS3032 email

OCTOBER 31 2011 AOS package reached NVC by DHL

November 1 2011 IV bill invoiced and paid

November 7 2011 IV package received by the NVC

November 9 2011 Case completed --waiting for the interview date

---Interview Date December 8 2011 approved

Timeline

@milimelo: I got my welcome notice soon after I reached US.

@dan_leb: I have my drivers license and SS#. I can legally work/travel with the I-551 stamp on my passport.

As Darnell suggested, I am going to call them and ask for a Tier 2 rep. If that doesn't work, will contact the congressman as milimelo suggested.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

@milimelo: I got my welcome notice soon after I reached US.

@dan_leb: I have my drivers license and SS#. I can legally work/travel with the I-551 stamp on my passport.

As Darnell suggested, I am going to call them and ask for a Tier 2 rep. If that doesn't work, will contact the congressman as milimelo suggested.

one more question when did u get ur SS#?

good luck with your case

====================================================================================

USCIS

September 16, 2011 - petition sent

September 20, 2011 - NOA-1

September 27, 2011 - NOA-2

NVC

SEPTEMBER 30 2011 CASE RECEIVED waiting for case number

OCTOBER 19 2011 RECEIVED THE CASE NUMBER BY PHONE

OCTOBER 26 2011 AOS BILL INVOICED AND PAID

OCTOBER 26 2011 Choose of agent email sent(DS3032)

OCTOBER 28 2011 Received AOS/DS3032 email

OCTOBER 31 2011 AOS package reached NVC by DHL

November 1 2011 IV bill invoiced and paid

November 7 2011 IV package received by the NVC

November 9 2011 Case completed --waiting for the interview date

---Interview Date December 8 2011 approved

Timeline

one more question when did u get ur SS#?

good luck with your case

I had my SSN when I was here before on H1B, so I didn't have to apply again when I came on Green Card. If you are coming for the first time, you will have to apply for your new SSN.

I had my SSN when I was here before on H1B, so I didn't have to apply again when I came on Green Card. If you are coming for the first time, you will have to apply for your new SSN.

Make sure to update SSA with your PR status so you can get the unrestricted SS card.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Make sure to update SSA with your PR status so you can get the unrestricted SS card.

Can I go to the SSA to get the unrestricted SS card with the I-551 stamping on my passport; that is, before I get my physical green card?

Yesterday I called up USCIS and spoke to a Tier-2 rep. He said that I would have to wait and there is nothing they could do about it :( he even said it takes almost a year for some people to get it. He said I should go to the local USCIS office with a InfoPass to get a new stamping on my passport if the current one expires.

Timeline

did you confirm returned mail pieces, or no ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

did you confirm returned mail pieces, or no ?

I got my welcome notice through mail...and I confirmed with them that they have my correct address in their system. They looked up and said they haven't mailed the card yet. So its not a question of the mail being lost.

Timeline

excellent. one less thing to worry about.

is really strange about the lag time, though. I truly wonder whats caused it.

Now would be the time to contact your local congressman's immigration aide and have them get your green card. Copy the welcome notice and write a cover letter detailing all steps you undertook to see you get this card and what the USCIS people told you (dates, times and short descriptions of conversations will suffice). Then ask them to step in and get the card for you.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Now would be the time to contact your local congressman's immigration aide and have them get your green card. Copy the welcome notice and write a cover letter detailing all steps you undertook to see you get this card and what the USCIS people told you (dates, times and short descriptions of conversations will suffice). Then ask them to step in and get the card for you.

Sure. I am inquiring about that now.

You have any idea whether I can go to the SSA to get the unrestricted SS card with just the I-551 stamping on my passport; that is, before I get my physical green card?

Sure. I am inquiring about that now.

You have any idea whether I can go to the SSA to get the unrestricted SS card with just the I-551 stamping on my passport; that is, before I get my physical green card?

Yes, you can - I-551 is a temp green card - says so on the visa itself: "upon endorsement (ie stamping at poe) serves as temp I-551". If the first person can't help you, ask for a supervisor/manager.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.