nicolev

URGENT: UK to US Immigration

99 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Go to Canada? neither of you require visas for that. I would look into that option. :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-08

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-07-03

Packet 4 Received : 2011-07-21

Interview Date : 2011-08-24

Interview Result :Approved!

POE: 2011-09-12

Married: 2011-09-30

AOS filed: 2011-10-17

NOA1: 2011-10-25

Biometrics Appt: 2011-11-09

Case transferred to CSC: 2011-12-23

EAD approval: 2011-12-28

Husband secretly pulled I-864 thus cancelling I-485 application 2012-05-10

F22zm4.png[/center]

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you so very much! I have just sent Centrepoint an email, and I am hopeful to receive some help from them asap! :)

We wouldn't need Visas for Canada?! :o I hadn't even considered Canada, but I shall definitely look into it now! For the long term, I was interested in moving to Canada anyway! Thank you so much for the tip, I will look into Canada now :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yes, neither country needs visas. Canada is England's child, so ya know... Vancouver is beautiful! immigration stuff is easier too from what I've heard my American friends say. I had a bf from Mexico who attended school in Canada, and after 3 months of living there, he got a letter saying he qualified for health care, and all he had to do was pay some fee, and they sent him a health care card. Another friend told me he lived in Canada for a few years and applied for resident. Said all he had to do was pay about $300 and fill out some forms. I'm sure that is the short version, but he made it seem like it was like getting a passport or something! Def look into it. Good luck! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-08

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-07-03

Packet 4 Received : 2011-07-21

Interview Date : 2011-08-24

Interview Result :Approved!

POE: 2011-09-12

Married: 2011-09-30

AOS filed: 2011-10-17

NOA1: 2011-10-25

Biometrics Appt: 2011-11-09

Case transferred to CSC: 2011-12-23

EAD approval: 2011-12-28

Husband secretly pulled I-864 thus cancelling I-485 application 2012-05-10

F22zm4.png[/center]

Thank you so very much! I have just sent Centrepoint an email, and I am hopeful to receive some help from them asap! :)

We wouldn't need Visas for Canada?! :o I hadn't even considered Canada, but I shall definitely look into it now! For the long term, I was interested in moving to Canada anyway! Thank you so much for the tip, I will look into Canada now :)

No worries! All the best :thumbs:

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'll definitely look into the VWP a bit more since it seems like the best option. I definitely think being away from her mother for a bit would really help the situation, and perhaps when she returned, her mother would calm down a bit! Is applying for the VWP a long process? About how long did the approval process take for you?

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c4B13883D-0384-D4AB-1228-2BC1DC3D3C9A_kB78AC067-F363-E140-F70C-51FE803DFEAA

just fill in the ESTA, it takes about 5 minutes and costs $14 i think. that is all you have to do when using the VWP

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

x2!

From memory, and what I can see on the website, they do offer more than simple hostel, such as supported flats and the like.

There's a phone number there to call as well.

I wish you both good luck, and I hope you can find a solution soon that works well! (F)

Between love and madness

DOH!! i sent similar info in a PM to nicolev.

lmao i should have read all this thread !!

star_smile.gif

Between love and madness

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I apologise if I have placed this in the wrong section. I also apologise if I refer to any idea with the incorrect term ... I am not very well educated in this area, and I am also very, very nervous. :( I would also like to ask if everyone could please refrain from judging me. I am in a very tough position as is and I am very fearful of what could happen. The last thing I need is added stress. I'm sorry, I don't mean to come off as aggressive, I'm just in such an unbearable situation. :(

I am an American citizen, born and raised, and I am female. My girlfriend lives in England (no, we did not meet online) and her mother is quite horrible to her. She is being kicked out within the next day or two and she does not have a definite place to go. She does not have any family or friends to stay with, she is completely alone in this. I do have a friend who has a place in England, and he and I have been trying to sort something out with her staying at his place until everything is properly sorted for her permanently staying somewhere.

She can stay with me, but, of course, this is a difficult situation since she is British and I am American. She is under the age of majority, and therefore our options are quite limited.

What can I do? I understand that I cannot get here within the next two days, but how soon can I get her here? I know that she could stay here as a normal tourist would for less than 30 days, but we need a more permanent solution. She cannot come here using the Visa Waiver Program because I don't believe she qualifies considering her situation. What can we possibly do? What are our options? I need any tiny bit of hope at all, so any suggestions will be taken into consideration! I will be most likely attending a university in London in September, but we are in desperate need of a solution for our situation which would suffice from now until then.

Please help. :(

EDIT: I'm not certain why this says I live in the UK .. I certainly wish I did :(

The first thing that pops into my head after reading this post is an underage person might need parental permission to travel outside the country. Second thing is if you are over 21 or significantly older than the underage child other legal issues might evolve from encouraging or financially

supporting a out of country move for a minor child.

I would be very careful with this moving a minor across international borders could become a serious problem for you.

Timeline

oh wow! Canada definitely seems like the better of the three! Any idea on what I should do next? I'm so shot on what to do about anything ... my mind's a bit mixed up today. :(

And thank you! I will definitely look into the VWP application process now and have her go through with that at the very least. She does need to renew her passport, so we're going to get straight to that beforehand, of course.

I'm just really hoping that her mom will allow her to stay until everything is completely sorted. I keep trying to convince her to explain everything to her mom, and she said that she has and it's no use .. ugh, I just wish everything could be okay already :(

I'm 17, it's an 8 month age difference ... we're fine with all of that. :')

Edited by nicolev

anyone know the age one is considered not a child in the UK?

The first thing that pops into my head after reading this post is an underage person might need parental permission to travel outside the country. Second thing is if you are over 21 or significantly older than the underage child other legal issues might evolve from encouraging or financially

supporting a out of country move for a minor child.

I would be very careful with this moving a minor across international borders could become a serious problem for you.

Between love and madness

Timeline

anyone know the age one is considered not a child in the UK?

I believe it is 18, though there seem to be some strange exceptions with this! I'm not entirely certain as I'm not British myself, but it seems to me that it's very legal to kick a child out when they're 16 or older in the UK, as it seems to be fairly common .. I'm not certain how this is legal at all, but ... sorry, I know I'm talking around in circles!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

this says 18 but others say 16...

http://www.lawandpar...ld-son-out.html

this isnt about the law but it does tell you what she would be entitled to...

http://england.shelt...nd_17_year_olds

Edited by Dan & Jenni

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

i think it is 16 but am not sure.

I believe it is 18, though there seem to be some strange exceptions with this! I'm not entirely certain as I'm not British myself, but it seems to me that it's very legal to kick a child out when they're 16 or older in the UK, as it seems to be fairly common .. I'm not certain how this is legal at all, but ... sorry, I know I'm talking around in circles!

Between love and madness

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

She is in Nottingham, and I did find Centerpoint during a desperate search for answers earlier in the day. I'll have to try to convince her to go for it if there truly aren't any other options! I think she was a bit weary on staying with other people, because she assumed that the experience would be like staying in a hostel, which she is afraid of. :( Thank you for reminding me! I shall look into it now and see what I can do about that. :)

I'll definitely look into the VWP a bit more since it seems like the best option. I definitely think being away from her mother for a bit would really help the situation, and perhaps when she returned, her mother would calm down a bit! Is applying for the VWP a long process? About how long did the approval process take for you?

just a Little info that may help. I would not apply for a visa, if you do and get denied. she will No longer be eligibly For the VWP. :bonk:

also if she comes over on the VWP. don't let her over stay a short term fix would cause bigger issues down the road

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.