I Love Islam

K3 switching to CR-1

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Newbie and confused.. I received new information, after doing a lot of reading.. I thought I wanted to do a K3, but it looks like the CR-1 is a lot quicker. I received my I-797 NOA yesterday. I was going to mail out the I-129F Petition to Texas, but those are the the steps to the K3. Since, I want to do the CR-1, is there anything i need to resubmit to notify USCIS?? Anything, I can do or send out in the meantime while my I-130 Petition for my spouse is being processed??? Any assistance would help.. Thank you.

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh
Meaning: "Peace be unto you and so may the mercy of Allah and His blessings".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't do anything, since you are not (and should not) file the I129F for a K-3, your natural path is now a Cr-1. Even if you labeled or put some intentions to file for a K-3, don't so anything.

Just sit tight and wait

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If I ended up mailing the I-129F for the K3 anyway, will it affect the progress of my CR1? I was not sure of that initially and since it was free I thought what the heck let me file it anyway and see what is quicker. Does it make a difference?

USCIS

07/24/2011 Got married in Toronto

09/12/2011 Filed I-130

09/13/2011 NOA1

09/16/2011 Touched

03/23/2012 NOA2 (192 days from NOA1 date)

NVC

05/08/12: NVC Case Number, IIN, BID Received

05/08/12: Filled DS261 Online

05/08/12: Sent Optin Email for Electronic Processing

05/08/12: AOS Fee Paid

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Ok so since you already mailed I-129F, then you'll just wait and see. You will get NOA1 for I-129F also, same as I-130.

I was gonna suggest you to not mail I-129F so that it remains CR1.

In anycase, I did K3 thinking it would be faster but nope, no luck.

I'm still waiting for NOA2, almost 5 months now. I still don't know if mine will be processed as K3 or CR1. (I did note in the I-129F cover letter that this is for K3)...hmmmm i guess i just wait and see :whistle:

If I ended up mailing the I-129F for the K3 anyway, will it affect the progress of my CR1? I was not sure of that initially and since it was free I thought what the heck let me file it anyway and see what is quicker. Does it make a difference?

Edited by VisaJourney2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From my experience, when we petitioned - those who filed the I129F for the K-3 were approved 6-8 weeks after the I-130 stand alone. And that was back when NVC wouldn't shut it down

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Don't do anything, since you are not (and should not) file the I129F for a K-3, your natural path is now a Cr-1. Even if you labeled or put some intentions to file for a K-3, don't so anything.

Just sit tight and wait

Good luck

Thank you so much for your help..

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh
Meaning: "Peace be unto you and so may the mercy of Allah and His blessings".

How do you file for K-3 without first filing I-130? I understood the K-3 can be applied for only after you receive NOA1 for I-130?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Done: I-130/CR-1, I-751/ROC

Done: I-327

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yes.

For K3, first I-130, then you get NOA1, then you send NOA1 from I-130 with your I-129F

But avoid all these and just go straight CR1 which is better. I did K3 but i should have gone CR1.

How do you file for K-3 without first filing I-130? I understood the K-3 can be applied for only after you receive NOA1 for I-130?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Base in my experience, my husband mailed 129F with NOA1 from 1-130 for K3. We receive both approved I-130 and I-129F same date, but we are notified later that NVC processed my CR1. So, I don't think mailing I129f will affect the progress of your CR1. I think K3 is very rare nowadays. They still process it because I knew someone here in my country, she is under k3 process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.