Ruteger

She wants to bring her Mom here

45 posts in this topic

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god my husband's mother doesn't want to move to the US. I'd rather chew broken glass than have that harridan in my house.
Alright then. It's not like I'm an a$$hole. However, I married my husband...not his weirdo family...and I don't like them in my house for any longer than is absolutely necessary.

must be comforting to know that you've fallen in love with someone raised by such a weirdo family! :thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

We're both Indian by heritage and in our culture you marry a family, not an individual.

That's the theory. In reality, you have to temper expectations with practicalities like health insurance and other things. I'd let my in-laws move in with me in a heartbeat if they could pay their own medical insurance.

They're visiting us right now and it's been nice having them around.

Moms home cookin eh..? ;)

always a treat

Thank god my husband's mother doesn't want to move to the US. I'd rather chew broken glass than have that harridan in my house.

Alright then. It's not like I'm an a$$hole. However, I married my husband...not his weirdo family...and I don't like them in my house for any longer than is absolutely necessary.

must be comforting to know that you've fallen in love with someone raised by such a weirdo family! :thumbs:

sister monique..you are right thinking type of lady

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
That's the theory. In reality, you have to temper expectations with practicalities like health insurance and other things. I'd let my in-laws move in with me in a heartbeat if they could pay their own medical insurance.

They're visiting us right now and it's been nice having them around.

What is this? Are they looking over your shoulder as you type or something?

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Timeline

He turned out fine in spite of them.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

He turned out fine in spite of them.

That you know of....so far.

But he has the same blood that they do. Bwahahahahaa... :unsure:

@(((<<<

You know it takes years and years and years to bring a parent to the US, right? I mean, it's not like they'd be moving in the week after the honeymoon.

My wife can apply for citizenship 3 years after her entry into the US. It takes about a year to petition a parent so that's 4 years.

We talked about this but what in the world would she do here? She doesn't know any English and there are not many Filipinos in Tucson. I don't think she would be very happy being alone and isolated even if living with us. All her family and friends are back home.

If she enters on a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, three years later she can apply for citizenship. From application to oath is between six months and a year. If she then files the I-130 the next day, it's another six months to a year before it's adjudicated. Then it has to be sent to the consulate, she has to get an appointment, then be interviewed, and so on. I'd say the best-case scenario from your wife's entering the US to her mom's entering on the IR-5 is four years and three months, more likely five and a half years.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

That you know of....so far.

But he has the same blood that they do. Bwahahahahaa... :unsure:

He's adopted. No, just kidding. He's like his dad...phlegmatic. His mom and sister are something else entirely, though.

phlegmatic!?!? i certainly wouldn't list that as one of my husband's positive qualities. *shakes head* although you are vehement at times so maybe that makes for a good match ... :thumbs:

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

phlegmatic!?!? i certainly wouldn't list that as one of my husband's positive qualities. *shakes head* although you are vehement at times so maybe that makes for a good match ... :thumbs:

Well, don't worry about it. You're not married to him; I am.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

I don't think I would ever have this problem. My parents-in-law have a decent life in Germany and below zero interest in coming to the US, though they encourage their son to do so. At most, it could be that my siblings-in-law could eventually express an interest, but that is a stretch right now.

No way in hell I would live with my mom or let her live with me. She is master of the guano. I would live with or allow to live with me any other member of my tiny family.

I would be very surprised if my fiance's mom wanted to move here, but we'd do it if she wanted to. His family is huge and very close-knit.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I wouldn't have this problem either. My parents own a small business in Indonesia and they have zero intention of moving here. They are happy with their lives there, have friends and other things that will make it hard for them to move.

Neither of us want our in-laws to live with us under one roof. It's just privacy thing above all else.

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Ruteger,

Better be sure that your fiance(e) is of the same opinion, then. In most instances a person is marrying the spouse's family. You'd best recognize the nature of the familial relationships - whatever they are - before considering the deal.

Yodrak

I know the family unit in other countries seems to be much tighter, but my opinion is that, "hey, I am marrying you, not your mom and dad."

As for me this would be a deal breaker.

Edited by Yodrak