Timore

An Iranian Fiancee

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Hello!

I'm an American citizen who currently lives in Turkey. My fiancee is from Iran and is looking to leave this part of the world as soon as possible. I've contacted a number of immigration lawyers in the US and there is a general consensus that it ought to take between 9 and 11 months to get a K-1 visa for my fiancee because she can't be processed by an embassy other than the one here in Ankara, which is one of the slowest in the world. Most folk I spoke to were confident that the only benefit of getting married before immigrating was the money saving, so we thought it best to wait until arriving in America to get married.

My fiancee has spoken to friends of friends who have immigrated and has heard stories about people going over as tourists, then getting work visas and then marrying. It sounded like such a scheme saved a good deal of time, and my fiancee's pending master's degree should make finding work rather easy for her. My concern is that the people I've spoken gave me the impression that walking the straight and narrow and taking the extra time that getting a K-1 or relative immigrant visa would require is undoubtedly the best way to go.

Given that we want to leave as soon as we can, but also don't want to ruin our chances, is there any particular path that is recommended?

Thanks a ton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does she have a Tourist Visa?

Does she have a job offer from a Company willing to sponsor her for a work visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

I would DEFINITELY not chance it. Do it the right way. Iranian citizens are scrutinized even more than the Turkish in Ankara. The benefit of being married first, is the green card is automatic upon entry, and ultimately cheaper in the end. In many cases, it is faster even than the fiance visa. The financial support and proof of real marriage is a little stronger also if you're both living there together. Since you're living there in Turkey, I might recommend you take this route. Just an idea.

In many cases, it is faster even than the fiance visa.

This is not really true. Most of the time you can get fiancee visa within 5-7 month. My fiancee interview is next week and we are only 5.5 month into the process. While CR-1 visa most of the time will take 10-12 month, especially with extremely slow embassies. Though I agree it is somewhat cheaper and yes playing the safe route is the best bet.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: Timeline

It depends on the country. Look at visa timelines for those in Turkey: http://www.visajourn...2C27%2C28&cfl=0

And then Iran: http://www.visajourn...210%2C211&cfl=0

When you look at the timelines, they are traditionally shorter for the CR1.

The Ankara embassy takes much much longer for fiance visa. Ukraine and other areas around you are much faster for fiance visa.

This is not really true. Most of the time you can get fiancee visa within 5-7 month. My fiancee interview is next week and we are only 5.5 month into the process. While CR-1 visa most of the time will take 10-12 month, especially with extremely slow embassies. Though I agree it is somewhat cheaper and yes playing the safe route is the best bet.

Edited by tolsab

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Absolutely agree with tolsab. You are in a good position in that you are looking at all options now. If I had the opportunity to do it again I would have gone IR-1/CR-1.

I'll probably catch some flak for this but...entering on a tourist visa with the plan to marry, stay in the US and file AOS is fraud so for me it would be off the table.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.