jordanianprincess

Lifestyle Changes

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering about what kind of lifestyle changes you have made since you SO has moved to the US? Since my interview is around the corner and he has decided to come this year if he does get the visa, I'm starting to mentally prepare myself for this. I have started thinking about some of things I need to change in my lifestyle but wanted to know what others have experianced.

Thanks,

JP (F):luv:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I hope I can pitch in here....

There are two kinds of adjustments that I had to make...

1. A few cultural ones (not that Australia is too different from Us)

and more majorly

2. Married ones...

The adjustments that I've made ...going from a single woman living with a roomate or alone to living with my HUSBAND have been the big ones.

I know ya'll will have more to adjust to since the ME/NA culture is different....but that's my two cents :)

I'm glad to see your interview got moved up!!!

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Well to name a few...

Ive stopped eating pork (although i never really cared for it anyways)

Stopped wearing clothes that show alot of my body(any married women should in my opinion)

Cook alot more than i ever did...

and well i think thats about it.. pretty common things when you have an american/muslim marriage :lol:

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

For me it was adjusting to having another person living in the house. That means 2x's the stuff to pick up (3x's in our case lol), accomodating his preferences in cooking and shopping, also accepting that I'm not going to be the perfect wife. At first I tried to manage being, super wife, mom, student, employee etc but I got burnt out fast. I learned it's ok to ask him for help and that he wanted to he just wasn't sure what to do. Patience is my biggest thing, explaining EVERYTHING drove/drives me crazy! At times I lose it and just can't answer then I settle down and try my best to explain. I guess those are some of the things.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am now a personal chauffeur, I cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 2 (finally!), I have to clean much more since now there are two untidy people around, more laundry (and yes I do mean clothes), more groceries, more fun!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

The biggies for me have been:

- Having to cook everyday, for two people. I can't just come home from work and drink tea and eat a microwave bean burrito anymore :crying: BUT... on the plus side... :) ... I'm eating much fresher food there days, since I'm doing so much cooking and I don't like canned vegetables (with the notable exception of beans), so everytime I make anything, it's with fresh veggies

- Having to pick up after someone else. I usually pick up after myself as I go; I hate going to bed with dirty dishes everywhere, clothes on the floor, etc, and I cannot concentrate or think clearly with a lot of clutter and confusion in my home and with my husband here I do the picking-up for two. He tries to be neat, but... sorry to admit it... it's not neat enough for me :blush: so I'm doing lots of straightening-up after him lol I'm proud to say that I am NOT nagging him about this though :thumbs:

- Having to wash clothes with relative frequency. It's embarassing to admit this ( :blush: ), but I can go WEEKS without doing laundry -- I will clean underwear/socks, but outer clothes, shirts, pants, etc I don't consider dirty until WAY after most others would. But my husband likes clean clothes, so... I do more laundry now. The plus side is that I too am learning to want freshly washed clothes :)

But mostly, as Amera touched on, it's learning to have PATIENCE which has been the biggest adjustment, and tolerance for things not being just-so-the-way-I-like-it I have my own way of doing things around the house and I'm like torn between asking him to help clean the living room and just being like "Sit there on your hands and don't touch ANYTHING!" Some advice -- make sure your fiance' will have his very own area to put clothes/shoes/etc. so that 1) he will feel welcomed and at home and 2) You won't feel like his shite is everywhere.

Edit: for strange mistake I made and to add that life in general has gotten a lot more fun and happy since my husband has arrived; after missing someone for such a long time, not feeling the absence anymore is a WONDERFUL new part of life :D

Edited by Karen_L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I shaved my mustache.

Wait I thought you were a woman?

Wait let me check. Nope it's still there. LOL

your mustache?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.