jordanianprincess

Lifestyle Changes

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Now that I've had more experience with this topic, I can add:

I've had to become comfortable with a little bit of mess as my husband is a slob.

I've had to realize that if I want something from him I NEED TO ASK and not just assume he'll read my mind. (Saves on frustration.)

I've had to become comfortable with the Egyptian habit of "advising" concerning such matters as what you eat (that will make you fat)... even though HE is eating twice as much of the same thing. Pah! (I have a whole repetoire of snappy comebacks... I should publish a book.)

But the toughest adjustment I'm facing... the experience of being HAPPY. Almost 2 years of struggling to be together and I'm still catching myself when I'm alone thinking "I hope he calls on time tonight..." and things like that. Then I remember I had to pick up his dirty socks in the morning and we're going for burgers after work.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i LOVE topics like these! this is the reason i found this board... to learn from all your experiences and share my own someday. :yes:

i haven't experienced my fiance here yet but i imagine it will be so similar to all of you!

my fiance is very health conscious so i'm sure he'll be asking for salads and nagging me to go to the gym with him all the time. or hiking, cycling, etc. he really loves outdoors more than anything. i look forward to the nagging though. god knows i need the motivation! hehe i do love working out and eating healthy too...its just making it a consistent thing that i have a problem with.

i have to share my closet, bathroom, and dresser space. i don't know how i will ever manage that. i think its time to figure out a better space saving solution! if we stay where i currently live there is really hardly any space for clothes and shoes! any tips?

i'm going to make a better attempt at learning arabic down the line so we can teach it to our future kids together. and so i can talk to his mother better! i only know about 20 words at the moment. ugh! but for now i will do my best to teach him to be more fluent in english. patience..breathe....patienceeeeeeeee....

i'll let him get his own cell phone and all that. he hates it when i buy him anything. he feels a lot of shame regarding the money issue so i'm going to hold back on completely spoiling him like i sooooooo want to.

i'll have to buy halal meats from now on. i assume. we didn't discuss this yet but i'm betting on him wanting it especially since its so readily available here in nyc.

i probably won't be able to lie around for an entire day, never getting out of my pjs, not cooking, and vegging out. :wacko:

i probably won't be able to go out with my male friends alone anymore. even if they are just friends.

i'll have to cook all the time now! no more eating a frozen lean cuisine or bag of popcorn for dinner.

but i'm happy to do it all...and more. he is going to have to change so much of his life to come here! its the least i can do. i hope we come to a really good understanding and compromise. :dance:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

abdoujen,

maybe the lounging is still a go! my fiance def enjoys resting the day away and he'll even get up and make breakfast (of course it's at like 3pm lol). that mainly what we did my last trip there with his family dropping by in between, but it was perfect.

the going out with guys friends alone - buh bye lolol.

where in nyc are you again, i work in chelsea.

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Timeline

ahhh the lounging thing. i hope there will be days when we can veg together.

chelsea, huh? i work in the UES and West Village (two jobs now) but live in Queens! What about you? Where do you live?pm me!

world-map.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ive heard the health things to, "what did u have for lunch" popcorn, ohhhhhhhh im sure that is not enough for you. "How are you today?" little tired ohhhhhhhhhhhh i think because you didnt rest well last nite, you need the hot shower or the hot milk to help you sleep etc. :lol:

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

One of our changes has been in how we buy food. The concept of frozen food does not appeal to him, at least not at the moment. Maybe when he is working and does not have time to cook he will change his thinking!! :lol: But for now we buy our meat and vegetables every few days.

And yes these Moroccans at least, seem to like to give advice on everything, even when it doesn't pertain to them! Omar talks about how my roommate SHOULD be raising his son....don't go there man!

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
One of our changes has been in how we buy food. The concept of frozen food does not appeal to him, at least not at the moment. Maybe when he is working and does not have time to cook he will change his thinking!! :lol: But for now we buy our meat and vegetables every few days.

And yes these Moroccans at least, seem to like to give advice on everything, even when it doesn't pertain to them! Omar talks about how my roommate SHOULD be raising his son....don't go there man!

Not just a Moroccan thing!!! I got a lecture two days ago because I have a cold. Of course he had the flu for like the third time in five months but I'm the one with the problem. :whistle: He kept asking, do you go from a cold room to a hot shower to a cold room? uuuuhhh..no i have heat in my house...you outta try it!!! lol. Do you wear a coat when you are outside? :wacko: No I go out in my shorts and t-shirt in the midst of a coldfront. lol.

For indigestion apparently the solution is to wait an hour after eating the offensive food and then drink a glass of milk. That would make it go away and if it doesn't there's something wrong with the milk because apparently Egyptian milk makes it go away.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

so funny!!! my fiance and his family seem to think if you don't wear slippers in the house on the cold floor (even in summer)... you'll get sick! they are always checking my feet to see if i'm wearing any. if not, one runs to get me slippers. :wacko:

world-map.jpg

Wow, the weird health beliefs totally rings true. They're really obsessed with hot, cold, and the wind. I'm a freaking DOCTOR and my husband is always telling me the reason I have a headache is because I went from the cold outside to the warm inside, or the reason I have a cold is that I had bare feet on the floor. Arrghh. I've given up arguing. I've just started smiling and nodding :yes:

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Wow, the weird health beliefs totally rings true. They're really obsessed with hot, cold, and the wind. I'm a freaking DOCTOR and my husband is always telling me the reason I have a headache is because I went from the cold outside to the warm inside, or the reason I have a cold is that I had bare feet on the floor. Arrghh. I've given up arguing. I've just started smiling and nodding :yes:

i always scoffed at that too. in a round-about way though you both could be right. there was an interesting study done in wales a little while back that found

"When colds are circulating in the community, many people are mildly infected but show no symptoms," Prof Eccles said.

"If they become chilled, this causes a pronounced constriction of the blood vessels in the nose and shuts off the warm blood that supplies the white cells that fight infection.

"The reduced defences in the nose allow the virus to get stronger and common cold symptoms develop.

"Although the chilled subject believes they have 'caught a cold' what has, in fact, happened is that the dormant infection has taken hold." cold

doesn't dispel the germ theory of disease or anything of course, but it can be a provoking factor in symptom development.

cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this...

36119104_l-1.jpg

smiling and nodding.... :lol: the art of being married a long time :P

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

I've had to become comfortable with a little bit of mess as my husband is a slob.

This makes me laugh... because it's the other way around for us! I'm kind of a slob and Maj has to get used to me :blush:

The theory on why going out in the cold brings out cold symptoms kind of makes sense... but I find it hard to believe that only a few minutes of vasoconstriction would dampen immunity enough to allow the viruses to flourish. AFter all, they need a good warm host too... The cold might be as damaging to them as it is to your nose! Interesting thought though, maybe I shouldn't scoff so much at "non-medical" peoples' opinions.

Edited by kerewin21

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

hahaha I just had to laugh at the slippers inside thing. My husband has given up on that with me as my feet are ALWAYS steaming hot and I can't stand to have them covered at home. It is hard enough to keep shoes on at work all day. When I was in Jordan, his family forced me to wear house shoes everywhere. I would even try to sneak around without them but they would run after me, stop me, and force me to put them on. I ended up giving in every single time. :whistle: They also made us drink a cup of water before going outside. hehe...maaan I miss them... *sigh*

(F) amal (F)

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.