badbeatjackpot

what my attorney told me

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

my attorney said that they are cracking down on these cases where the wife leaves. I dont know where my attorney gets this information, but I thought it was interesting. He said that he didnt think my former wife is going to get to stay in the country even though I am not going to pursue the issue.

my attorney said that they are cracking down on these cases where the wife leaves. I dont know where my attorney gets this information, but I thought it was interesting. He said that he didnt think my former wife is going to get to stay in the country even though I am not going to pursue the issue.

Yeah, I saw my immigration attorney prior to the divorce and he told me she would have a VERY difficult time with the USCIS, told me that "they would be all over her case with a fine tooth comb"...

Good luck to you... whatever happens... it's not an easy time to deal with but "one day at a time"...

-- Dan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Dang :huh:

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

May I ask to those of you that have had this happen - did you meet your ex-wives through a marriage broker?

No, I did not.

I saw her profile on a "dating/agency" website. NOT an IMB. She was from the same town as another woman I knew, who was married and here in America, we'd known each other for a while.

She put us in contact with one another, and actually became good friends with her as well. She even attended our wedding, although she was separated from her American husband at the time.

I happen to know that later this woman divorced her American husband and filed a "fake" Lifting of Conditions with the USCIS, pretending to still be living together with her husband, although they were 100's of miles apart.

I have no doubt that later on, toward the end, she was also coaching my (ex-)wife in the finer points about how to "slip out the back, jack" and "make a new plan, sam". In other words, giving her advice about how to get around some of the USCIS "conditions", American processes for divorce, try to cause "domestic violence" events, and other sorts of lovely things like that.

Which is why I've made some comments in other threads about "be careful about the friends someone makes", not that they shouldn't have a choice, but....

-- Dan

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

May I ask to those of you that have had this happen - did you meet your ex-wives through a marriage broker?

No, I did not.

I saw her profile on a "dating/agency" website. NOT an IMB. She was from the same town as another woman I knew, who was married and here in America, we'd known each other for a while.

She put us in contact with one another, and actually became good friends with her as well. She even attended our wedding, although she was separated from her American husband at the time.

I happen to know that later this woman divorced her American husband and filed a "fake" Lifting of Conditions with the USCIS, pretending to still be living together with her husband, although they were 100's of miles apart.

I have no doubt that later on, toward the end, she was also coaching my (ex-)wife in the finer points about how to "slip out the back, jack" and "make a new plan, sam". In other words, giving her advice about how to get around some of the USCIS "conditions", American processes for divorce, try to cause "domestic violence" events, and other sorts of lovely things like that.

Which is why I've made some comments in other threads about "be careful about the friends someone makes", not that they shouldn't have a choice, but....

-- Dan

I'm just weary of dating sites or marriage brokers (I think USCIS defines many international dating sites just that), because it means that these women are specifically looking for American husbands and you'd have to ask yourself why. I don't want to start a flame war and I'm sure there are many, honest and sincere women that use international dating services, but it's still an important question for American men to ask themselves why are these women specifically interested in American men?

I used to know an English woman in the US married to an American; they were married less than two years, she left him, he filed for divorce, the INS (pre-9/11 days) ordered her home and gave her x number of days to leave the country. Tuff stuff.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

I'm just weary of dating sites or marriage brokers (I think USCIS defines many international dating sites just that), because it means that these women are specifically looking for American husbands and you'd have to ask yourself why. I don't want to start a flame war and I'm sure there are many, honest and sincere women that use international dating services, but it's still an important question for American men to ask themselves why are these women specifically interested in American men?

There was nothing that meant "looking specifically for American husbands", as the site was certainly open to English, Aussie, other European nationalities.

In fact, as I recall, she had been communicating with a guy from Germany but wasn't interested in him.

And you know, there are a lot of other nationalities, not just American, who use internet "profile" websites to meet people.

We can debate whether a website with profiles is an IMB or not, but I don't view a website where you go look at profiles and then send someone an email is anything like a "personal matchmaker service" or an IMB.

From what I've seen in the IMBRA forum there's a lot of people who would agree with my assessment.

-- Dan

Edited by PurrSuede

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can you ellaborate on why it is you think that would really make a difference?

Some of the men here have indicated possible fraud on the part of the women. Some of the less scrupulous IMB seem to perpetuate that type of fraud, IMO. Part of the purpose of IMBRA was to scrutinize more closely how these marriage brokers screen applicants.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I used to know an English woman in the US married to an American; they were married less than two years, she left him, he filed for divorce, the INS (pre-9/11 days) ordered her home and gave her x number of days to leave the country. Tuff stuff.

Didn't happen with my Romanian ex-wife. I applied for the removal of conditions, she got an 11 month extensioin, she cheated on me, I filed for divorce and let the USCIS know. She evidently continued the process on her own on the east coast, but somehow some USCIS paperwork for her ended up in my mailbox and my wife (oops!) opened it. It said the conditions were removed and she should fill out a form to get her 10 year LPR card.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Didn't happen with my Romanian ex-wife. I applied for the removal of conditions, she got an 11 month extensioin, she cheated on me, I filed for divorce and let the USCIS know. She evidently continued the process on her own on the east coast, but somehow some USCIS paperwork for her ended up in my mailbox and my wife (oops!) opened it. It said the conditions were removed and she should fill out a form to get her 10 year LPR card.

Wow...how'd she do that??? My friend was ordered to leave the US mere weeks after her husband filed for divorce. This was 1997 though; maybe things were different then?

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Some of the men here have indicated possible fraud on the part of the women. Some of the less scrupulous IMB seem to perpetuate that type of fraud, IMO. Part of the purpose of IMBRA was to scrutinize more closely how these marriage brokers screen applicants.

I agree. Most places that already have a high percentage of fraud already go thru a lot of scrutiny (PI, Columbia, VietNam, FRS, etc), though some still fall thru (disneyland anyone? how about 2guys here with 1 girl syndrome?). And there are some dating sites/IMB's that will keep a womans profile active to get more $$ I am sure. IMBRA as stated above, was put in place to screen applicants for previous police issues.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.