jessicaDiana

I need to get rid of my furniture, but how?

10 posts in this topic

hi everyone!

(sorry in advance if im not posting in the correct forum..)

Im living in canada in Surrey, waiting to move to the USA with my fiance on my k-1 visa. Currently though, i live alone, I dont drive, and i dont know anyone where im currently living to help me get rid of this stuff. When I do decide to move to the USA on my visa, im not bringing any of my furniture. Is there anything I can do to get rid of my furniture? I have a couch, bed, table, a speaker system, dishes that i need to get rid of (Yes i have tried selling it and putting this stuff on craigslist but no luck lol). I dont care if any of this stuff goes into the dump, alot of this stuff is old and wrecked anyways. Ive loooked at 1-800 got junk, and it seemed rather expensive i thought. anything for cheap or free i can loook into?

what can i do to get rid of all this stuff im not bringing with me when i dont have a truck nor can get one?

please helppppp!

Try any local thrift and or charity stores, or even local church groups, see if they can collect it ?

Does your local authority collect "junk items as well as waste ?

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
NOA2 May 30th 2012 (not a typo, 187 days no RFE)
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 3 rec Jul 9th 2012 (sent before received)
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Interview Jul 30th 2012 (refused for lack of ongoing relationship evidence)
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Visa delivered Oct 10th 2012
POE JFK-NYC Nov 28th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
Package sent Jan 30th 2013
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013
EAD/AP card in production Apr 5th 2013
EAD/AP card in mail Apr 11th 2013
EAD/AP card arrived Apr 13th 2013
SS card arrived Apr 19th 2013

AOS approved Sept 19th 2013 (no interview)

ROC

Package sent Sept 13th 2015

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Extension Letter 1yr Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Infopass 1yr extension Aug 26th 2016

RFE response Sept 30th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

"You are lucky we are busy today, we are trying to clear this area, otherwise I wouldn't let you in" - Atlanta CBP Securing America's Borders

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi everyone!

what can i do to get rid of all this stuff im not bringing with me when i dont have a truck nor can get one?

please helppppp!

Check this out!

101 Things to do with all your old stuff guide :dance:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/publications/publications/101things.pdf

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from the K-1 visa forum to the Canada Regional forum as it isn't part of the K-1 process and relates to a Canada specific concern

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JessicaDiana, look into Freecycle - it is a way of getting rid of things you don't want anymore and if you are thinking of disposing of them, you might want to consider giving them away. You need to sign up to list stuff available and then you get responses. It goes fast and there is a lot of traffic! My Dad joined the Freecycle group in Kingston, Ontario, and I joined the local one here in Stockbridge, GA for a while. ( I left after I had 'moved' what I wanted to move because it was far more active than I needed every day).

Here is a link to the one in Surrey - there are a number of requests for items similar to what you have available. In your listing just make it very clear that it is for pick up only, that you can't deliver. There is no charge to belong and no money ever exchanges hands anywhere.

http://groups.freecy...cycle/posts/all

Also, there are a number of charities that pick up clothing, furniture and other sorts of household items. You can contact places like the Canadian Diabetes Association, GoodWill, Salvation Army and organizations like that. There will be some that are specific to Surrey and area. You may also check with the local Fire Department and see if they know of any local families who are in need of furniture and things to hold them over after a fire. They may be able to arrange for pick up as well.

If anything is really 'wrecked', however, your best option may just be to put it out for garbage pick-up. Call your local Municipality and find out when they are able to pick up large items.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

hi everyone!

(sorry in advance if im not posting in the correct forum..)

Im living in canada in Surrey, waiting to move to the USA with my fiance on my k-1 visa. Currently though, i live alone, I dont drive, and i dont know anyone where im currently living to help me get rid of this stuff. When I do decide to move to the USA on my visa, im not bringing any of my furniture. Is there anything I can do to get rid of my furniture? I have a couch, bed, table, a speaker system, dishes that i need to get rid of (Yes i have tried selling it and putting this stuff on craigslist but no luck lol). I dont care if any of this stuff goes into the dump, alot of this stuff is old and wrecked anyways. Ive loooked at 1-800 got junk, and it seemed rather expensive i thought. anything for cheap or free i can loook into?

please helppppp!

I know you said you tried craigslist (there's also kijiji.com) but have you tried listing as free stuff instead of selling? People who say they will come get your free bed/table/whatever aren't always reliable, but many people WILL zip on over to your place to pick up something for free that they would normally have to pay for. My fiance just got rid of his old bed by making a free bed post on craigslist.

03/15/2011 - NOA1

05/31/2011 - NOA2

06/??/2011 - NVC received

06/14/2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal

06/20/2011 - Packet 3 sent from Mtl

06/27/2011 - Sent Packet 3 back

07/07/2011 - RFE for Packet 3 sent from Mtl

07/18/2011 - RFE sent to embassy

07/21/2011 - RFE logged

07/25/2011 - Packet 4 sent, interview date made

10/31/2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

11/11/2011 - Visa ready for pickup

12/21/2011 - POE

02/24/2012 - Married!

05/14/2012 - AOS, EAD, AP forms sent

05/21/2012 - NOA1

08/13/2012 - AOS interview...APPROVED!

07/21/2014 - I-751 filed

Timeline

I've had luck just putting stuff out by he curb witth a free sign, or just as trash. I know that seems kinda ghetto, but people will pick up almost anything that's free. I put an old ceiling fan out for the trash, and someone came and took it within the hour. It was an ugly gold shinny mess...

If you're a renter and you hate your landloard, you can always just leave everything behind and take off :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Craigslist is funny! I tried selling a few items that were in excellent conditions and at give away prices! No bites! You state FREE and wham, your swamped with replies. There are goodwill organizations that may come and pick it up for free as well

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

We've had a lot of luck doing a Craigslist ad that indicates 'Free at curbside'... that way I don't have to deal with someone coming to the door or into our house. I describe the condition of the piece with a few details, a picture and add the 'Free at curbside' wording...works like a charm everytime :)

Craigslist is funny! I tried selling a few items that were in excellent conditions and at give away prices! No bites! You state FREE and wham, your swamped with replies. There are goodwill organizations that may come and pick it up for free as well

Yep - calling Goodwill,the Salvation Army or St Vincent dePaul or CP - many charitable organizations will pick-up furniture in good condition

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

all fails, might be able to find a person on craigslist to haul the stuff to the dump for cheap.

If you have lots of dishes/appliances/stuff on their list, http://www.gatherandgive.org/ is pretty good about picking stuff up, if you have 8-12 boxes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.