vweeks

CSPA: Did Not Petition Within One Year

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Under CSPA I definitely aged out. My mother received her green card 3-4 years ago after over 10 years of waiting and her lawyer never informed her of "aging out". I was 21 at the time. I know it states that a petition must be sent in within a year but is there anything we can do at this point?

She contacted her previous lawyer and he quoted her $600/hr for his time just to see if he could do anything...which just seems ludicrous.

I've been educated in this country since I was 3 years old(elementary-college), its crazy that at the age of 25 I am still being dealt like a 2nd class citizen. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Edited by vweeks

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Who filed for your mother....? A spouse.? Or a different family member...?

What was your legal status in the usa when your mother was approved..? I am only asking these questions to know but it is too late to do anything based on her approved petition

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Under CSPA I definitely aged out. My mother received her green card 3-4 years ago after over 10 years of waiting and her lawyer never informed her of "aging out". I was 21 at the time. I know it states that a petition must be sent in within a year but is there anything we can do at this point?

She contacted her previous lawyer and he quoted her $600/hr for his time just to see if he could do anything...which just seems ludicrous.

I've been educated in this country since I was 3 years old(elementary-college), its crazy that at the age of 25 I am still being dealt like a 2nd class citizen. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.

First you are not a citizen, second what is your legal status in which you feel you can AOS from.

Obviously I am not a citizen. But I do all the things that citizens do. I pay taxes, paid for my whole college education, own a home...might as well be. situation just sucks

I was on TPS when my mother was approved...now DED for Liberians.

My maternal grandmother(US citizen) filed for my mother.

Edited by vweeks

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

She is trying to help you.. Relax. The petition is deduction to me. But hear the others

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Obviously I am not a citizen. But I do all the things that citizens do. I pay taxes, paid for my whole college education, own a home...might as well be. situation just sucks

I was on TPS when my mother was approved...now DED for Liberians.

My maternal grandmother(US citizen) filed for my mother.

DED Period: October 1, 2007, through March 31, 2013

I agree with Richardo...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

it's my understanding that the clock starts on YOU when your mother's petition was filed, not when her aos or visa was approved.

If you study CSPA a bit more, you should find that IF you were under 21 WHEN THE MOTHER'S PETITION WAS FILED,

well, you qualify.

But, do study a bit on CSPA, yes? [CPSA??]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

She is trying to help you.. Relax. The petition is deduction to me. But hear the others

I dont know if youre telling me to relax, but I am relaxed. I was just releasing my frustrations (and not on anyone)... :blink:

Could you please explain to me what a deduction is? Thank you.

it's my understanding that the clock starts on YOU when your mother's petition was filed, not when her aos or visa was approved.

If you study CSPA a bit more, you should find that IF you were under 21 WHEN THE MOTHER'S PETITION WAS FILED,

well, you qualify.

I was listed as a derivative when her petition was filed. I know i qualify, its just been over a year since her visa was approved. None told us about CSPA. Just finding out through research. Is there anything I can do at this point??

Edited by vweeks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

call the NVC, give them yer mother's case #, mention CSPA, and ask what they know about you.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

well, you qualify.

Are you sure? If grandmother petitioned for mother, and daughter is eligible as a derivative, then it's not an immediate relative case. It's got to be either F1 or F3. In an immediate relative case the age is locked when the petition is accepted, and it stays locked throughout the process. Family preference categories lock the age (sort of) when the petition is accepted, but they begin aging again when the petition is approved. The age isn't locked again until they take steps to acquire the visa or visa number, which is after the priority date is current. In other words, the only thing she can deduct from her age is the time spent waiting for the petition to be approved.

The Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) status should be considered as a "period of authorized stay", according to an INS memo issued in 1997, so the requirement that she has maintained her lawful presence appears to have been met. The two potential problems appear to be:

1. Did she age out? We need to know her birthday, what day the petition was accepted by USCIS, what day the petition was approved by US, and when the priority date became current.

2. Did she lose her eligibility to apply as a derivative because of the delay in filing for adjustment of status? The statutory limit is that a visa number must be issued for a derivative within one year of the primary beneficiary. My guess is that this will be the killer.

I think the OP's mom should file an I-130 immediately, as a backup plan. If she's lucky, her DED status will be extended long enough for her new priority date to become current.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.