Tim/Mav

Does it feel like you had to "buy" your Spouse ?

130 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Women are like cats - they go where it's warm

If you don't feed your cat, it will leave you

When I lost my big job I was unemployed for a year

My g/f was a blonde hairdresser - you know the type- I asked her if she wanted a beer and she said she wanted a gin and tonic - in fact make it a double

She knew I was living on my savings

She saw my face and said "If you can't afford a girlfriend, then you shouldn't have one"

She started 2 timing me with a manager who had a good job and a nice car and we broke up

Then I got a job and he lost his

sweet revenge!

I think that answers the question about whether we buy our women

I met my wife om match.com and I told her I was 10 years older than I am in order to attract gold diggers

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Country:
Timeline
It does make more sense for the beneficiary to be responsible for the visa expenses, they are after all the person that 'benefits'. (which he is! contributing at least)

I guess this makes sense when the beneficiary is able to but just like it's not uncommon for one member of a relationship (or their family) to be the primary provider of a local couple's wedding expenses I'd say you have to keep it in context with each relationship.

Before they arrived here Anna wouldn't have been able to care for Gabby, work full time and contribute substantially towards the expense of the process. It just made more sense for her to stay home with Gabby (who is deaf) while I covered everything.

Now she's working full-time and contributes substantially to the household so in my mind it's just fine...

I feel like I bought one hell of an experience, that's for sure. But I was already in too deep to not have forever with him, long before we started thinking about immigration stuff.

Ready for my grand ol' timeline? Alrighty then!

10-05-10 - Married in California
06-13-11 - I-130 approved
10-13-11 - CASE COMPLETE!
12-02-11 - Interview - 221g due to a washed passport
12-17-11 - POE - YYC (preclearance in Canada)

2011 to 2013 - Life happened

06-26-13 - Divorce finalized

10-07-13 - I-751 divorce filer paperwork journey begins

07-03-14 - ROC interview - approval pending delayed background checks

07-25-14 - APPROVED! 10 year GC is finally in production!

08-01-14 - 10 year GC in hand. The journey has finally ended. :)

2014 to 2020 - Living paperwork-free and focused on me!

11-09-20 - N-400 filed online - welcome back VJ fam!

6-22-21 - Interview in Nashville, approved! And then...

6-22-21 - Pledge of Allegiance taken. Holy shirtballs I'm a US Citizen.

I've spent so many years in the loving arms of the USCIS, but now it's time to fledge. So long, my friends, may all your journeys also end on the doorstep of whatever you're searching for.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I like to think of it as a bribe to the US government to let me live with my husband in my own country

This is the best summary of this topic that I have ever seen.

I am really too broke to be buying husbands or to be a sugar mama.

And about the age thing, I have always dated older men. There have only been two in the 25 years of my dating experiences that any were younger at all. Most had at minimum of 10 years older than me. I never got any jabbing about it. The one time that I dated someone 10 years younger than me, I got so much grief that it was a daily thing. (My supervisor in my job put a picture of a baby in sunglasses on the front of my work folder with this caption, "I like older babes!" ) The age thing was a big issue for me with him. I couldn't stand the "music" he inflicted on me!

While it is not atypical for women in the US to date men their age or younger, it is still much more acceptable to be with someone older. (My fiance is 4 years younger and a couple of US-born-and-raised women have asked me if that will be a problem. Seriously. I am 40. Bwah ha ha ha ha. I respond that it would have been a problem when I was 17 and leave it at that.)

For people who have enough disposable income that this is not a hardship, then "good for you"! For the rest of us where we do have to budget this, while it is not overwhelming, I am working overtime and eating more "beans and rice and rice and beans" to accomodate unexpected expenses without dipping into emergency savings. I know I am not alone in this.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Women are like cats - they go where it's warm

If you don't feed your cat, it will leave you

When I lost my big job I was unemployed for a year

My g/f was a blonde hairdresser - you know the type- I asked her if she wanted a beer and she said she wanted a gin and tonic - in fact make it a double

She knew I was living on my savings

She saw my face and said "If you can't afford a girlfriend, then you shouldn't have one"

She started 2 timing me with a manager who had a good job and a nice car and we broke up

Then I got a job and he lost his

sweet revenge!

I think that answers the question about whether we buy our women

I met my wife om match.com and I told her I was 10 years older than I am in order to attract gold diggers

That about sums it up. :yes:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
For the rest of us where we do have to budget this, while it is not overwhelming, I am working overtime and eating more "beans and rice and rice and beans" to accomodate unexpected expenses without dipping into emergency savings. I know I am not alone in this.

Nope, you're not! I eat rice & beans everyday anyway, but it was financially rough.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Sorry, the "beans and rice and rice and beans" is a Dave Ramsey reference. It is one of the things he always preaches to focus on when cutting your expenses. Eating out or eating expensive it not necessary.

When my better half gets here, that is one of the first things we will do together is take the Financial Peace class in Spanish so that he can bette understand money here in the US.

:)

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

When my better half gets here, that is one of the first things we will do together is take the Financial Peace class in Spanish so that he can bette understand money here in the US.

Don't rush on that... the hubs was always a cash guy in Peru, just switching to paying with a debit card, writing checks, etc. was a big deal for him. We don't realize how complicated stuff actually is when we have done it our entire lives. The simple stuff, like pumping your own gas (yep, they don't do that there)... or paying your bills online was totally foreign to him. You don't think about all this stuff when you move to a new place.

I would say in about a year try the Dave Ramsey class... LOL. I actually found that my husband made me a better money minded person than any financial class could have.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
As reported elsewhere:

A few weeks ago, Mrs. T-B. announced, "I bought you cheap."

I said, "What?"

"I bought you cheap!"

"You did WHAT?"

"Cheap, CHEAP! I bought you CHEAP!"

Upon further investigation, it turned out that Mrs. T-B. had been to the supermarket and bought me a bag of potato cheaps, si man.

I bought her cheap.

At the supermarket, tonight. However, I kidnapped the bag and have already eaten most of the cheaps, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I bought her cheap.

At the supermarket, tonight. However, I kidnapped the bag and have already eaten most of the cheaps, si man.

Good thinking Tbone...you don't want to over feed her. :star:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Good thinking Tbone...you don't want to over feed her.
Oh, she doesn't need my help for that, no man. :lol:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).