웃

Barney Frank Will Not Seek Reelection In 2012

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Barney Frank Will Not Seek Reelection In 2012

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) will not seek reelection in 2012, according to WBZ News Radio.

CNN has confirmed the news with the Democratic congressman's office. Frank will address his decision to forgo running for another term at a press conference at 1 p.m. ET in his home state.

The Boston Globe reports that according to a close adviser to Frank, the new congressional district in which the Massachusetts Democrat would have run to represent was a big factor in his decision to retire.

While it retained his Newton stronghold, it was revised to encompass more conservative towns while Frank also lost New Bedford, a blue-collar city where had invested a lot of time and become a leading figure in the region’s fisheries debate.

Frank was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1980. He was one of the first lawmakers to announce publicly that he is gay.

Frank is the ranking Democrat on the House Financial Services Committee. As chairman, he helped shepherd to passage legislation that provided the most extensive overhaul of the nation's financial system in decades. The measure was a response to the near collapse of the banking industry in 2008 and disclosures about Wall Street practices that stirred mass anger.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Generally I am pleased when a liberal Dem leaves...for any reason. MASS lost seats in the census which means the old district will probably end up being held by a Red State Republican. Barney himself will likely be replaced with another liberal Dem, but it will ultimately be "one less Dem"

I also think we have not heard "the rest of the story" as his description of why he is resigning is ...vague.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Generally I am pleased when a liberal Dem leaves...for any reason. MASS lost seats in the census which means the old district will probably end up being held by a Red State Republican. Barney himself will likely be replaced with another liberal Dem, but it will ultimately be "one less Dem"

I also think we have not heard "the rest of the story" as his description of why he is resigning is ...vague.

Welcome to America Gary. I hope you take the time while new to this country to learn about our political system.

Timeline

Welcome to America Gary. I hope you take the time while new to this country to learn about our political system.

Perhaps you will enlighten me? Where am I wrong?

MA lost a seat in the house. That seat will be added to a state that gained population and representation...most likely Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona, Florida. What are the odds that the seat MA lost will be filled by a liberal Dem in one of those states? The population shift to the south and west has increased the influence of conservatives and Republicans.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Barney Frank was on the wrong side of the housing financial disaster, and a large part of the problem.

But, he can now leave very wealthy and with fantastic benefits for the rest of his life.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Barney Frank was on the wrong side of the housing financial disaster, and a large part of the problem.

But, he can now leave very wealthy and with fantastic benefits for the rest of his life.

It is rather stunning how he gets to walk away after so so many people were hurt by action and inactions.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

Perhaps you will enlighten me? Where am I wrong?

MA lost a seat in the house. That seat will be added to a state that gained population and representation...most likely Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona, Florida. What are the odds that the seat MA lost will be filled by a liberal Dem in one of those states? The population shift to the south and west has increased the influence of conservatives and Republicans.

Gary, reread your post again, maybe one of these days you'll actually see the error in your thinking, or at least the perpetual hypocrisy of it. Your grasp of American politics is about as acute as a freshly arriving immigrant. Maybe read actual news a bit more and stay away from VJ for your political news.

Timeline

Gary, reread your post again, maybe one of these days you'll actually see the error in your thinking, or at least the perpetual hypocrisy of it. Your grasp of American politics is about as acute as a freshly arriving immigrant. Maybe read actual news a bit more and stay away from VJ for your political news.

Oh jeez, listen to Mr. Astute prattle on about others needing a new source of News.

Now "that" is good.

William Penn

Timeline

Same old Danno, offering nothing of substance, again.

Well let's take a look at Mr. Substances last post and see -who is more guilty of his charge.

-The_Dude

:rofl:

William Penn

Timeline

Well let's take a look at Mr. Substances last post and see -who is more guilty of his charge.

-The_Dude

:rofl:

Danno, why would I go into a lengthy debate with someone like Gary, or you for that matter when I know full well you will obfuscate, deflect, and deny any and everything. You are a hyperpartisan devoid of any real substance or even real ability to delineate your true positions. You passive aggressively post threads that paint minorities and people of other faiths than yours in a negative light. So you tell me, why would I argue with an insipid old man like you? In that post, I was pointing out Gary's ever nescient grasp on politics. Simply regurgitating what Glenn Beck tells you to Danno doesn't constitute a point.

Filed: Other Timeline

One of the top five politicians in Congress. He's leaving because of the redistricting.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

That sucks. Barney is one of the smart ones.

He was not aware his room mate was running a male prostituion ring from their apartment. :wacko: And he is a "smart one"????

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I know how it works. I shall not obfuscate.

MA lost a seat in the house due to the new census, that seat will end up in a state that had a substantial population growth. Choose which one you like.

The subsequent re-districting in MA caused Barney to lose his gerrymandered "safe" district. It now includes a region of the state the liberals call "Utah", seriously, that is what thaey call that region, because it is largely populated with conservatives. Oddly enough a few months ago Barney had bragged "Give me Utah, I don't care, I will still be re-elected" He got his "wish".

Now, MA is already going to have one less Democrat in congress after 2012 and if Frank runs again there is a very good chance he would lose to a Republican and they would have TWO less Democrats in the House. One of the less liberal other Dems may fare better and Barney may fare better in the future if he does not have a mark in the "loss" column. The seat that was lost will be given to another state and given the population shifts in the last 20 years or so, that means it is highly likely it will go to a Republican in a Red State.

If you can give another explanation, please do.

Danno, why would I go into a lengthy debate with someone like Gary, or you for that matter when I know full well you will obfuscate, deflect, and deny any and everything. You are a hyperpartisan devoid of any real substance or even real ability to delineate your true positions. You passive aggressively post threads that paint minorities and people of other faiths than yours in a negative light. So you tell me, why would I argue with an insipid old man like you? In that post, I was pointing out Gary's ever nescient grasp on politics. Simply regurgitating what Glenn Beck tells you to Danno doesn't constitute a point.

why make a lengthy post that says nothing?

Gary And Alla