kattaway

Question for Newbie :)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hello, my name is Kimberly and I am new here. I am just beginning this process and have a long way to go. I have been researching and gathering information about the process and I have a few questions before submitting the fiance petition and could use some guidance and feedback.

Gesi (Gesner is his name) and I met while I was vacationing in Providenciales, Turks & Caicos. Since, we have talked everyday and he will be here to visit Dec 7th-11th. He works for a resort there but is there on work permit and has been for 8 years. He is a citizen of Haiti. So once we decide to file for petition, will we have to go to Haiti for the interviews, his medical exams, etc? Or will he do that in T&C since that is where he is living now? I am trying to get as much information as possible before he visits because that is when we will start working on gathering information and deciding when to submit the petition.

Is there anything else you suggest and/or advise as a beginner in the process? I greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

He changed my life and made me his WIFE - May 26, 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

He will interview where he is currently resident, so in T&C, or the US embassy/ consulate tht hs authority over that area if there is none in T&C itself.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Wow. What a great question! Look up the information on people who have or are coming from both his country of citizenship AND where he is working. This will give you a heads up on the things they ask for.

If you get an RFE, they will ask for proof from 2 years BEFORE you file. If you elect to file after his visit, this would be a golden opportunity to give them exactly what they are looking for. For example, a photo taken while celebrating New Year's Eve with those silly 2012 glasses on and other people in the photo would be an excellent photo that documents the date! Photos with other people in them apparently are a big bonus.

Write some paper letters to each other mentioning things you have done together and the dates and places they occured. One possible example: "I am including a copy of one of the pictures we took together at the zoo in Dallas on your aunt's birthday to give to her." Whatever. That is something that is specifically being asked for in my RFE.

Be sure that you have friends that know you both that can write affidavits about your relationship in English.

Get tickets to things with your names on them, if you can. Train rides, boarding passes from flights, concerts together. If you stay together in a hotel, try to register under both names. Get a legible receipt showing that. If you each have debit/credit cards, ask at restaurants to have the bill divided and pay that way. Include each of those receipts together to show you were in the same place at the same time.

Go ahead and copy every page of each of your passports while you are together.

Lots of people also have stated that they were requested to have phone records of calls. You might go ahead an get a calling plan (or he can) where you can have a printed record of actual, regular-timed phone calls to show how often you contact each other.

Go ahead and fill out EVERY document for immigration that you can while together. In duplicate. This way you don't have to wait for snail-mail which can be a killer emotionally.

Ask other people about their experiences. Especially if they are from those two countries.

Get as much as you can, but be careful about oversubmitting overwhelming volumes of stuff. Choose the best based on what you learn. Some people have complained that they are being asked to resubmit stuff that was included in the mess of papers they had already sent in. If the person working on your file has to dig-dig-dig to find something, that is probably not going to work in your favor.

When you get answers or when your process is complete, please come back here and share what you've learned to make it easier on the next couple in your same situation.

Good luck!

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hello, my name is Kimberly and I am new here. I am just beginning this process and have a long way to go. I have been researching and gathering information about the process and I have a few questions before submitting the fiance petition and could use some guidance and feedback.

Gesi (Gesner is his name) and I met while I was vacationing in Providenciales, Turks & Caicos. Since, we have talked everyday and he will be here to visit Dec 7th-11th. He works for a resort there but is there on work permit and has been for 8 years. He is a citizen of Haiti. So once we decide to file for petition, will we have to go to Haiti for the interviews, his medical exams, etc? Or will he do that in T&C since that is where he is living now? I am trying to get as much information as possible before he visits because that is when we will start working on gathering information and deciding when to submit the petition.

Is there anything else you suggest and/or advise as a beginner in the process? I greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Hi Welcome!

This is a very good question and I really need to think about this one before answering the reason why I say that is my hubby was living in DR for almost 10 years on a study Visa and we waited after he was done everything to file and my hubby is now back in Haiti which he visited very often while in DR we filed for Haiti because that was the country of his Citizenship, we just got the police report from DR and put the address on the app. where he lived in DR. I suggest you read carefully on the USCIS page for the directions on how to fill you K1 application. Welcome to VJ you will find a lot of help and information here. good.gif

USCIS

04/19/2011 - NOA1

05/09/2011 - NOA2 text message and email received

05/17/2011 - Case received at NVC

05/20/2011 - Received NOA2 approval letter in USPS mail.

NVC

05/17/2011 - NVC Receive (No case number assigned yet)

05/18/2011 - NVC Case Number Assigned, received IIN number / Gave Emails

05/18/2011 - DS-3032 Sent to NVC (via email)

05/19/2011 - DS-3032 Accepted by NVC, AOS Fee Bill Generated

05/26/2011 - AOS Fee Paid Online - Status - In Progress

06/01/2011 - AOS Fee - PAID

05/19/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee Bill Generated

05/26/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee Paid Online - Status - In Progress

06/01/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee - Paid

06/02/2011 - DS-230 Packet Sent

06/02/2011 - AOS I-864 Sent

05/03/2011 - All the Paperwork Received at NVC

07/19/2011 - Sign in Failed (SIF)

07/19/2011 - NVC Case Complete!!!!

(16 weeks from NVC case closed to Interview date assigned 11/02/2011)

12/13/2011 - Interview date!!!!

11/21/2011 - Medical DONE

12/13/2011 - Interview done APPROVED!!!!

12/21/2011 - Entry to US JFK!!!!

California Service Center

Consulate : Haiti

Filed: Country: Haiti
Timeline

Wow. What a great question! Look up the information on people who have or are coming from both his country of citizenship AND where he is working. This will give you a heads up on the things they ask for.

I have been doing this but nothing as far as his citizenship and work status in another country.

Be sure that you have friends that know you both that can write affidavits about your relationship in English.

I do! My best friend and her family were ALL in T&C with me as we went for her sisters wedding and they ALL met him. They always ask when he's coming to visit and anxious to see him when he comes. He also talks to my best friend on the phone occasionally when him and I are talking. (he likes to thank her for bringing me with her which allowed us to meet)

Get tickets to things with your names on them, if you can. Train rides, boarding passes from flights, concerts together.

I have kept my original boarding pass from my trip there where I met him. Of course I did not know I was going to meet him so I kept it as a souvenier of sorts. Not sure it will hold any significance, but I do have it. I also advised him to keep his tickets/receipts of his trip here to Maryland.

Go ahead and copy every page of each of your passports while you are together.

This we can do!

Lots of people also have stated that they were requested to have phone records of calls. You might go ahead an get a calling plan (or he can) where you can have a printed record of actual, regular-timed phone calls to show how often you contact each other.

I have printed my monthly phone records, highlighting ALL calls to and from him. He sometimes calls from a blocked number while at work but most calls are from his cell.

Go ahead and fill out EVERY document for immigration that you can while together. In duplicate. This way you don't have to wait for snail-mail which can be a killer emotionally.

Thank you for that advice, we will do that!

Good luck!

Thank you for all of your help!!

He changed my life and made me his WIFE - May 26, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.