Heracles

$342 million on a Stadium will people still suffering

34 posts in this topic

I can't believe they spent $342 million on repairing a sports stadium while there are so many people still suffering. These are the clowns that were the first line of defense for the people of New Orleans yet continue to fail them.. I guess they voted them back in yet have the nerve to chant "Where's George Bush" #######..

Superdome reopens in New Orleans

"Although some question spending so much on a sports stadium, the governor of Louisiana, Kathleen Blanco, described it as a vital symbol of recovery for the city and the state."

I have no problem with the stadium but do go around crying that Fema and George W did nothing for the black folk while your local democrat leaders are squandering the money..

Edited by Infidel

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
I can't believe they spent $342 million on repairing a sports stadium while there are so many people still suffering. These are the clowns that were the first line of defense for the people of New Orleans yet continue to fail them.. I guess they voted them back in yet have the nerve to chant "Where's George Bush" #######..

"Although some question spending so much on a sports stadium, the governor of Louisiana, Kathleen Blanco, described it as a vital symbol of recovery for the city and the state."

I have no problem with the stadium but do go around crying that Fema and George W did nothing for the black folk while your local democrat leaders are squandering the money..

I guess bringing the Saints back to N.O. is more important than repatriating the city with the former residents. And maybe they don't want them back now that they dumped them on other cities (mostly my city of Houston).

Kind of like Mexico dumping its poor and unemployed on the USA (and Houston) to deal with. Although they are damned glad to get the $$$ they send back. No wonder the Mexican government fights so hard for amnesty for their citizens to stay in the USA.

Come to think of it...the Mexican government does nothing for its brown folks too.

Maybe the Mexicans are Democrats? Is this a trend? Dump your problems on others and get money rolling into your own pockets at other's expense. What a joke and the joke's on us.

I often heard it said that Louisiana is the closest thing to a "Banana Republic" that we have in the USA. No argument here!

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

From the article... Many thought that afterwards, the building would be condemned. But instead, $180m was spent on a huge renovation effort.

Where did you get the $342 million figure from?

As for blaming the local Democrats, let's look at some figures...

In Fiscal Year 2006, Louisianan's will spend 78.4 million dollars on Cold War boondoggle missile defense. They will spend 1.7 billion for the war in Iraq. Mississippi will spend 42.9 million on missile defense and 918.7 for the war in Iraq. This would have paid for the levee repair with change.

Bush's tax cuts for the wealthiest 1% of Americans would have translated into 930 million dollars for Louisiana and 707.1 million for Mississippi. Louisiana spent 1.6 million dollars on abstinence only education programs last year.

Like a macabre parody of Thomas Frank's economic thesis, Louisiana's congressional delegation became majority conservative in the last election. Senator David Vitter was designated the most conservative of the freshman class by the National Journal this year. He has voted for every tax cut as well as for the invasion of Iraq . A cursory check on a vote rating website showed similar results for the mostly Republican Louisiana delegation.

While I would also question why the city chose to spend $180m to rennovate the stadium - that's not the whole story. For one, without renovation, they would have had to condemn it and the clean up would have been another cost. Secondly, during the flooding, it was the main safe haven for thousands who had nowhere else to go. So strategically, it would make sense to fix it up in case another hurricane hits. And lastly, it is a symbol to the people of New Orleans, not only for being the place where so many residents took refuge, but of a city in desperate need of rebirth.

Since you're an economist, did you divide that $180m up per resident? The last census had New Orleans at 462,269 people. That comes out to about $389 per person. Chump change when your talking about rebuilding homes...that wouldn't even buy a refridgerator.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

they probably are doing in case of any other future catastrophies. must be easier for them to cram all the people in there instead of forking over other funds for the victims of the last major mess :whistle:

Edited by gugu24

ARR.jpgaug06ayeshaB.jpg

Meeting Online: Yahoo chartroom Aug 2001.

Direct meeting & marriage: Dec 2003 USA, NY

I-130 petition in DCFR Tokyo: March 14th 2004. Case reffered to DHS USCIS

Four visits to japan in 2004: Oct 2004, wife got pragnant.

Wife/Fiance left USA and moved into Japan: Feb 5th 2005.

Baby Born: June 24th 2005(Japan)

I-130 denied: July 17 2005(Divorce was declared not valid)

Refiling Divorce: oJuly 17th 2005 NY State.

Divorce granted: Nov 17th 2005

K-1 application: Mar 1st 2006

Approval: May 23rd 2006

US consulate RFE: June 15th 2006

FRE sent (Original passports, birth certificate, all origional docs): July 10th 2006

Medical: Oct 11th 2006.

Interview: Nov 10th 2006(expected)

Filed: Timeline
they probably are doing in case of any other future catastrophies. must be easier for them to cram all the people in there instead of forking over other funds for the victims of the last major mess :whistle:

No, they're doing it so New Orleans won't lose its NFL team (the Saints), who were allegedly threatening to move to San Antonio.

There is no conspiracy.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Can we blame Bush for this?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

of course :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Well: media can't blame chopf#ck Nagin (not politically correct) so they go for default--blame W.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well: media can't blame chopf#ck Nagin (not politically correct) so they go for default--blame W.

that bunch of idiots want more abuse, so they reelect that complete moron nagin.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

that bunch of idiots want more abuse, so they reelect that complete moron nagin.

And W is by definition now a most convenient target. Any way you cook it, he's out by 2008 (possibly sooner if dems get majority AND unite post-election--unfortunately, dems are useless at maintaining unity--to impeach him).

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

i still can't believe they re-elected nagin. sometimes, ya know...people are idiots, and deserve to get screwed.

:shrug:

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

i still can't believe they re-elected nagin. sometimes, ya know...people are idiots, and deserve to get screwed.

:shrug:

Can you guess which locale has the STUPIDEST voters of all?

Southern India (particularly Tamil Nadu, my native state), an area which produces a significant percentage of IT professionals.

Former chief minister (tawdry actress) got her party leadership with help from centre (meaning government in Delhi), then into power with more of same (in 1991, forced "Presidential Rule" just before national election), then voted out in 1996 after plethora of shenanigans. Re-elected chief minister in 2001.

Of course, the current (barber) chief minister (who she replaced in 1991 and 2001) is not exactly any stranger to shenanigans either (plenty in all his terms since 1972).

Where did you get the $342 million figure from?

I saw it from the link that sent me to the site. It said it was $180million pounds..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.