Kiwi & Me

K-1 and Marriage

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I'm back from New Zealand and proposing to Miss Kiwi, and it looks like we're changing our wedding plans some. Originally we had planned on having her come to the US on a K-1 Visa and getting married here, but now it looks like we'll be getting married in New Zealand. On the plus side, this lets us go through the DCF process, which is much quicker, but at the same time, it makes everything we've done so far invalid. Or does it?

Can someone enter the US on a K-1 visa after they've been married? Do they just apply for the AOS after arriving in the US, then? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

4/2005 Met Online

6/1/2005 Beginning of our relationship

8/17/2005 First phone call

12/26/2005 Finally met face-to-face in New Zealand

1/12/2006 Back home to the US. :(

6/2/2006 Kiwi arrives in Atlanta

6/28/2006 Kiwi leaves Atlanta :(

8/14/2006 I129F Completed and Sent

8/24/2006 NOA1 Issued

8/29/2006 -Touch-

9/4/2006 NOA1 Received

And so the waiting game continues...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Can someone enter the US on a K-1 visa after they've been married? Do they just apply for the AOS after arriving in the US, then? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Nope, you would need a K3 or CR1.

Please read the guides.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

No, the K1 visa is only used by a fiance, not a spouse.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Not before getting the visa, or after getting the visa and before arriving. You can only get married AFTER you enter the U.S., IN the U.S.

Why do so many people have a problem with this concept? :unsure: There is a reason they call it a "Fiance(e)" visa!!! :yes:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Absolutely not! But like you said there is the alternative DCF and a lot of people think that is much better.

Did you fiance ask the same question on here a few weeks ago, or maybe its another Kiwi thinking of abandoning her K1 visa. You may find the posts in DCF.

Good luck.

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm back from New Zealand and proposing to Miss Kiwi, and it looks like we're changing our wedding plans some. Originally we had planned on having her come to the US on a K-1 Visa and getting married here, but now it looks like we'll be getting married in New Zealand. On the plus side, this lets us go through the DCF process, which is much quicker, but at the same time, it makes everything we've done so far invalid. Or does it?

Thanks!

Your not being very specific in your thread.

Have you started the process of a K-1 visa?

My advice would be to stickl to your original plan even if it takes longer, Believe me! A lot less forms and paperwork (It actually does happen)

Try not to make your immigration journey more complex than it can take, And you have not got a chance entering the US without a visa (married, Without a visa unless a waiver)

Timeline

First off, thanks for the replies...

For all those who have said to read the guides, even after doing so, I can't find an answer to my question. Perhaps I'm not reading the correct one, but regardless, the answer isn't especially obvious. Hence why I asked my question.

roi_aggie: Yes...I understand what a fiance(e) visa is for, and as I pointed out in my original post, our wedding plans have changed. I'm just wondering that since we're already a month (and $170) into the 129F process, if we can avoid having to go through another visa process simply because some of our plans have changed.

Michellek1976: That was someone else. Similar case, but that person was already in the US as opposed to our case where my fiancee is not (yet). Thanks for the reference, though. :)

Endtroducing10: Agreed about not making things more complicated than they need to be...that's the whole reason for this post. But, since submitting the 129F (still waiting on that approval, and as such, haven't started the K-1 yet) , we've decided to have the wedding in New Zealand instead of the US, and unfortunately, that complicates things.

Alex+R: I've heard nothing but good things about DCF (particularly in relation to New Zealand where the approval time appears to be only a couple weeks), but if there was a way to get the 129F/K-1 to work, since we're already part of the way down that path, I was just curious if that's a possibility.

Followup question (and yes, I checked the guides and didn't see anything): Since it looks like we're switching to DCF, how should I go about canceling my 129F petition, particularly since I don't want it to look like we're not interested in getting married anymore (but rather, we want to get married in New Zealand)? I just don't want a canceled 129F to be a strike against us when we apply for the K3 through DCF.

Thanks again for any input.

4/2005 Met Online

8/24/2006 NOA1 Issued

8/29/2006 -Touch-

9/4/2006 NOA1 Received

To enter on the K-1, she has to be free to marry. She's not 'free to marry' if she's already married, even if that marriage is to you.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks!

Yes if you marry in New Zealand everything you have done so far is invalid. You will have to reapply under the K3, CR 1 or DCF process. Be aware that some countries make you reside for three months or longer before you can DCF. I would contact the consulate and see what their requirements are concerning this process.

The K1 visa is for your SO to come to the USA and then marry within the 90 day window.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Timeline
To enter on the K-1, she has to be free to marry. She's not 'free to marry' if she's already married, even if that marriage is to you.

Ahh...that's the catch. Thanks!

Didn't you do any research before you filed? I sure as heck checked out DCF but it's not possible for me.

Then I filed.

Why the hostility, Devilette? Did I kick your dog or something?

I did some research, mostly on official government sites, before filing, but didn't find VJ (and as a result, DCF) until after reciving my NOA1. And, as I said several times before, our plans have changed since we filed, so even if I -did- know about DCF, that wouldn't have been the path we chose.

Jeez..I'm sorry for interrupting the never-ending announcements of NOA2s and corresponding congratulations with an actual question or two.

4/2005 Met Online

8/24/2006 NOA1 Issued

8/29/2006 -Touch-

9/4/2006 NOA1 Received

Heres the solution to your problem, since you want to do a K-1 and marry in Australia as well:

1.Marry in Australia.

2.Next day, divorce in Australia

3.File K-1 visa

4.Enter U.S and marry again in the USA.

Your goal to enter on a K-1 and marry in Australia is satisfied that way.

Edited by Majizee

Filed: Timeline
Why the hostility, Devilette? Did I kick your dog or something?

I did some research, mostly on official government sites, before filing, but didn't find VJ (and as a result, DCF) until after reciving my NOA1. And, as I said several times before, our plans have changed since we filed, so even if I -did- know about DCF, that wouldn't have been the path we chose.

Jeez..I'm sorry for interrupting the never-ending announcements of NOA2s and corresponding congratulations with an actual question or two.

You found VJ after the fact, ok fair enough.

It's not hostility. VJ has excellent guides which explain ALL immigration processes in DETAIL. Before you write a post here, it says in 20 pt type:

Please consider reading the FAQ's and Guides before posting.

When someone comes on here and posts a question that is very easily answered in the guides, it becomes very tedious to other VJers. I spend time searching for related posts before I add a Q on here. It's respect to VJ members & so I don't waste other people's time.

Edited by devilette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.