miker32us

CR-1 Interview possible in the US?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

My wife received her K-3 and is already in the US. Last Friday she sent an e-mail to the American Embassy in Taiwan with several questions about compleing the CR-1 there in Taiwan. We asked whether my wife's K-3 medical exam would suffice for the CR-1. We were surprized in their response they said we could ask NVC for an interview in the US. Has anyone heard of this?

I-130...CR-1

02/27/06 Filed CR-1, I-130 thru TSC

07/26/06 NVC assigns case #, Wife e-mails choice of agent to NVC

10/10/06 Receive, complete and submit I-864 and DS-230

04/02/07 Back to Taiwan for visit and Interview

04/06/07 Received CR-1 visa

04/10/07 POE through Detroit

04/30/07 2 Year Green Card Received

Lifting Conditions

01/10/09 File I-751 at VSC

06/24/09 Received 10 year GC

Citizenship

07/27/10 Filing Date for N-400

08/03/10 Check cashed - as of 8/26 never received NOA so made InfoPass

08/31/10 InfoPass for Biometrics

11/10/10 Interview Date, Passed

02/18/11 Scheduled oath ceremony

What they are referring to is adjustment of status. Both adjustment of status in the US, and, the CR-1 visa give one the same.......immigrant status.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I do not think they were confused about AOS. I told them I had already paid NVC for the I-864 Fee Bill and DS-230 Immigration visa paperwork and we were just waiting for NVC. We specifically said we would be coming back to Taiwan for the interview. That is why I am surprized they said to ask NVC about interviewing in the US.

What they are referring to is adjustment of status. Both adjustment of status in the US, and, the CR-1 visa give one the same.......immigrant status.

I-130...CR-1

02/27/06 Filed CR-1, I-130 thru TSC

07/26/06 NVC assigns case #, Wife e-mails choice of agent to NVC

10/10/06 Receive, complete and submit I-864 and DS-230

04/02/07 Back to Taiwan for visit and Interview

04/06/07 Received CR-1 visa

04/10/07 POE through Detroit

04/30/07 2 Year Green Card Received

Lifting Conditions

01/10/09 File I-751 at VSC

06/24/09 Received 10 year GC

Citizenship

07/27/10 Filing Date for N-400

08/03/10 Check cashed - as of 8/26 never received NOA so made InfoPass

08/31/10 InfoPass for Biometrics

11/10/10 Interview Date, Passed

02/18/11 Scheduled oath ceremony

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

If you paid the immigrant visa fee and the file has been sent to the consulate... it's basically too late for you... you would regress in both time and money if you decided to pull the I-130 and chose to do AOS in the US...

In your case, it would probably be better to continue with the CR-1 interview in Taiwan..

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

You can't interview in the US for a CR-1 visa as you dont need a visa when already present in the US. What you do is the adjustment of status process from entry of another visa ie K-3 which gives you the same status as the CR-1 visa will.......immigrant status. That is what they were referring to.

As zyggy states 'better to continue with the CR-1 interview in Taiwan' considering the stage you are up to.

I do not think they were confused about AOS. I told them I had already paid NVC for the I-864 Fee Bill and DS-230 Immigration visa paperwork and we were just waiting for NVC. We specifically said we would be coming back to Taiwan for the interview. That is why I am surprized they said to ask NVC about interviewing in the US.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
You can't interview in the US for a CR-1 visa as you dont need a visa when already present in the US. What you do is the adjustment of status process from entry of another visa ie K-3 which gives you the same status as the CR-1 visa will.......immigrant status. That is what they were referring to.

As zyggy states 'better to continue with the CR-1 interview in Taiwan' considering the stage you are up to.

I have wondered this myself. So you have already paid, and timewise you might as well go back to the consulate and complete the CR1. But the way I see it, although you have already paid you will still need to pay for the flight back, which for some contries will be more expensive than canceling it and doing the AOS in the states. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the benefits.

Any thoughts on this? :huh:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the benefits.

It's a visit back to see family and relatives too. It provides immediate work authorization without having to wait for AOS.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the benefits.

It's a visit back to see family and relatives too. It provides immediate work authorization without having to wait for AOS.

Of course that makes sense, but on the other hand what if they applicant hates to travel alone and the spouse can't get off work? What if they can't get enough money for the ticket back?

I guess it really is more of a personal choice, depending on your finances and personal situation more than anything. We are going for the CR1, and if it hasn't happened by 10/22 it will be the IR1, so it won't make much difference to me really, just curious.

Thanks for the input.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I guess it really is more of a personal choice, depending on your finances and personal situation more than anything.

Yup.

Local office processing times would be an influincing factor for me. If my DO took a year plus for AOS appointments, I'd consider that in my overall goals and decide.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.