PumpkinPie

Countries Without USCIS Offices....Ireland

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi all, I've posted a while back regarding being from the US but living in Ireland with my husband of almost 3 years. I have wanted to petition my husband (who's Irish) to live/work in the US with me since we got married, but we just didn't have the savings to feel comfortable moving, especially how the economy has been the last couple of years. Well the last year we've been saving like crazy as I've finally been able to find a permanent job after being out of work for a while here! We intend on continuing to save up until Spring 2012, then apply for his visa, as we'll be a bit more financially secure to move and while we look for work in the US.

However I'm a little worried as I just logged on to research a little more and I see since 15th August 2011, any countries who do not have an USCIS office in their country, (which Ireland does not), now all I-130 applications will have to be sent to Chicago and the Embassies will no longer be dealing with them. I've copied this from travel.state.gov for you to have a look at, maybe I'm understanding it wrong??? :blink:

Countries without USCIS Offices

I-130 Petitions

Notice: Effective August 15, 2011, petitioners residing outside the United States will no longer be able to routinely file Forms I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. embassies and consulates. Petitioners residing overseas in countries where USCIS does not have a public counter presence will be required to file their Forms I-130 by mail with the USCIS Chicago Lockbox. As part of this change, U.S. embassies and consulates will only be able to accept and process Forms I-130 in exceptional circumstances.

Petitions properly filed at an embassy or consulate prior to August 15 will not be affected by this change.

If I read it correctly, will this affect the visa processing time? My mother who lives in the US will also be a joint petitioner as our income will not be enough, so not sure how that changes anything either. I've just heard that Dublin American Embassy usually gets through applications fairly quickly and now I'm worried this will set us back even longer next year. Also, will his interview still be in Dublin or will we have to fly to Chicago for it? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

If definitely extends processing time by probably something around 6 months. Your mother will be joint sponsor, not joint petitioner. Interview will be in whatever embassy is indicated in the petition, definitely not in Chicago.

Take a look a this : http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

The best bet for you would be to file for an IR-1 Visa when the time is right for you to file. It gives your husband a 10 year green card on entry to the US.

One thought, you could file and then continue to save the best you can while you wait for the processing.

Best of luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Wow thanks guys. I didn't realize there was more than one option! Can someone explain the difference between the 2 applications/visas?

Also, I emailed London's USCIS and they replied (very quickly so I'm very impressed) even though they have jurisdiction over ROI, I still have to send the application to Chicago but the interview will be in Dublin. That saves me some stress and some much needed $$$$$$ :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.