ECS

Is this a Bigamous Marriage?

167 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I honestly do not want her deported and if there was something that I could do to keep that from happening, I would. I mean she is still the mother of my son and we did spend almost 15 years togther. I do not hate her and I am sure she has reasons why she did what she did. HOWEVER, that does not mean I want to continue to be in a marital facade with her. The marriage could NEVER be right ever again. And it also doesnt mean that I do not want to protect my financial interests for my son and my future.

then maybe it's time to forgive her for making a childhood mistake years before she even met you :whistle:

Edited by analou scott

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

then maybe it's time to forgive her for making a childhood mistake years before she even met you :whistle:

You do realise it's NOT a "childhood mistake before she even met" him right? She lied about her age, TO HIM for over 13 years. She lied about being married twice before him TO HIM (only admitted once). She lied on her marriage certificate when she married HIM (using fake birth certificate). Multiple lies to HIM during their relationship. Some pretty massive ones at that.

Timeline

You do realise it's NOT a "childhood mistake before she even met" him right? She lied about her age, TO HIM for over 13 years. She lied about being married twice before him TO HIM (only admitted once). She lied on her marriage certificate when she married HIM (using fake birth certificate). Multiple lies to HIM during their relationship. Some pretty massive ones at that.

you are right, but, it all stated long ago.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

i was a single father of my daughter when i got her a passport in 2009. i needed her birth certificate, photo id with her name on it{we used her school lunch card}, a certified copy of the custody papers showing me with sole physical custody, my passport, and i had to take an oath while i was there.

Therefore you satisfied this requirement. "Primary evidence of sole authority to apply."

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

Umm what? Lol. YOU said "I have a hard time believing that immigration would do that because of her length here and the fact that her children are U.S. citizens.".. maybe you don't understand what the term "anchor baby" means. You suggested the USC children would "anchor" her to the US (making them "anchor babies")... I was refuting that. The term doesn't mean she had the children for that purpose, but you seem to think they will work in that manner.

Vanessa, I know you have quite a reputation on VJ for saying some pretty off-the-wall and outrageous things and really, I don't care to get into it with you in this thread, but the term, "anchor baby" is a derogatory term and quite frankly, IMO, should be a TOS violation. Here in the U.S., it is in our Constitution that we have Birthright of Citizenship. Now maybe that doesn't jive with your political view, but it is the law of our beloved land here, so don't call the OP's children anchor babies. That's an insult.

I honestly do not want her deported and if there was something that I could do to keep that from happening, I would. I mean she is still the mother of my son and we did spend almost 15 years togther. I do not hate her and I am sure she has reasons why she did what she did. HOWEVER, that does not mean I want to continue to be in a marital facade with her. The marriage could NEVER be right ever again. And it also doesnt mean that I do not want to protect my financial interests for my son and my future.

:thumbs: You are good man for saying that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

People are becoming somewhat sensitive to phrases and words used through out this discussion. The term 'anchor baby' refers to foreign mothers who enter the US with the intent of having their children here so as to gain some sort of toe-hold on US residency. The initial comment where this phrase was used did not state that the OP was in this situation and was meant to discourage people from heading in that direction. The term was not 'introduced' into the discussion to become part of the discussion so it would be good to try and not make something more out of this comment than was meant or implied. That being said, while the phrase is a legitimate albeit unsavory word and many people do find the phrase and the concept disturbing - and part of a totally different discussion than the one in this thread - it would be a good idea if everyone stopped any discussion about this issue and returned to the OP's actual situation - the legal status of his marriage and what courses of action are open to him under the circumstances.

As the OP has asked for input and does have a lawyer working on his situation, I am going to allow the thread to continue but remind everyone to please stay on topic and address your comments to the OP and not to each other. The best we are able to do in this unique circumstance is to offer opinions based upon our different levels of knowledge and experiences in the hopes that some of them might provide the OP with a better understanding of the options and challenges he faces.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Withdrawn given Kathryn's warning above addressed my argument.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

A childhood mistake? Really? I wont even respond to that.

i just think you are more a victim of circumstance than being lied to. again i will say it started long before you knew her.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She doesn't want to get deported because from the moment she left the Philippines, people looked up to her and called her "big time". People here got an impression that she's making it big in the US. Her family should have been proud, if they rally knew what she did. If she comes back here through deportation, we'll that's a huge embarrassment. People will look differently, like 360 degrees. I can't say she will have a hard time adjusting once she comes back. I'm sure she can manage to make up another story why she's back. You could still send money to her if you want.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: Timeline

Hey people. Maybe we should avoid comments that is very judgmental of the OP. We're here to discuss if he divorce to the first marriage of the is valid or what and what he can do and how he would have custody of his son

Remember that we are speculators and third parties here. Try putting yourself in the shoes of the OP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i just think you are more a victim of circumstance than being lied to.

In the same way a store owner is a victim of circumstance when a gunman robs them. It isn't any fault of the robber.

again i will say it started long before you knew her.

Good point. Most states forgive ongoing crimes as long as the person started the crimes a long time before. All you have to do is say "I've been stealing all my life" and the police will allow you to continue stealing.

But if it's your first time stealing - they'll throw the book at you. It is called the "career criminal" exception to the law.

Filed: Timeline

I posted another thread here in regards to her daughter if anyone wants to input any advice. I really dont think that her 24 year old daughter should be an unwilling. unknowing part of this. Please let me know what you think

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/338332-illegal-alien-through-almost-no-fault-of-her-own-is-there-anything-she-can-do/

Timeline

I posted another thread here in regards to her daughter if anyone wants to input any advice. I really dont think that her 24 year old daughter should be an unwilling. unknowing part of this. Please let me know what you think

http://www.visajourn...ing-she-can-do/

Wow, sorry for the terrible predicament your whole family is in. I don't know what to say, except sorry. I hope you'll find some peace in whatever happens. IMO, I don't think she should be deported, but with a drug record, I don't think she's got much of a chance. A very sad situation all around.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.