chidub

Delaying K1

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi all,

I have a question that's a little different. Up until today, like most people using VJ, I was desperate to speed up the visa process but now I'm looking for options to delay it.

I'm wondering if its possible to extend the amount of time the K1 is valid for after issuance. We're not expecting to receive our K1 until spring of next year, perhaps March with current processing times. After that I understand the visa is valid for 6 months. My problem is I've just been offered a 12 month job contract starting asap. In my current circumstances the job offer is too good to turn down.

So is it possible to extend the validity so I could enter the US in a year when the job ends? If not, how much could I delay the process at the embassy (Dublin) without causing problems? Also, the job is in another European country. Does it cause problems moving at this stage in the visa process? Are we better off cancelling the application and starting again in a few months? That option doesn't appeal so much. If we did though, would cancelling then starting the process again raise red flags?

Sorry for so many questions at once. Just looking for as much info as possible before taking this major decision.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 20, 2011 - J turns 29 and we start our journey! I-129f in the mail!

Aug 22, 2011 - Package was delivered at 11:04 am on August 22, 2011 in DALLAS, TX 75222

Aug 26, 2011 - NOA1 e-confirmation.

Aug 29, 2011 - NOA1 hard copy.

Jan 20, 2012 - NOA2

---> NVC---->

Feb 06, 2012 - At Consulate in Dublin.

Forwarded to Brussels

Feb 23, 2012 - At Consulate in Brussels.

Feb 27, 2012 - Received Packet 3.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You could withdraw your application? The whole process will take abut 7 months till you get your visa. Are you sure you want to come to the US?

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Withdrawing the I-129f petition will not cause any red flags, you're free to do so.

Have you considered getting married then pursuing the CR1 route to a visa?

That process will take from 8-10 months to complete normally. You can go slowly

in the CR1 process if you desire to do so.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You don;t even have NOA 2 yet. You could easily delay the process (delay sending in documents, cancel first interview) enough to get your visa next summer and then immigrate for Christmas 2012. Moving to a different country is not a major problem, just inform them of your new address.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks for the replies.

Penguin, I guess that's the reply we were hoping for. We were hoping there weren't any time limits on getting documents together once I receive the package from the embassy.

And Bigdog, just for the record, I'm very sure I want to move to the US. My fiancee and I are looking forward to building a life together there for the long-term, so I want to make the best decision for our entire future together and not just to get there as soon as possible. Although the extra months apart will be difficult, the longer-term benefits both career-wise and financially are what make this difficult decision one we may have to take.

Aug 20, 2011 - J turns 29 and we start our journey! I-129f in the mail!

Aug 22, 2011 - Package was delivered at 11:04 am on August 22, 2011 in DALLAS, TX 75222

Aug 26, 2011 - NOA1 e-confirmation.

Aug 29, 2011 - NOA1 hard copy.

Jan 20, 2012 - NOA2

---> NVC---->

Feb 06, 2012 - At Consulate in Dublin.

Forwarded to Brussels

Feb 23, 2012 - At Consulate in Brussels.

Feb 27, 2012 - Received Packet 3.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

It should be okay if you delay your paperwork when it comes to that point (packet 3 stuff) like someone said above. Once you have your NOA2 you have 4 months to get everything sent (Obviously don't leave it all to the very last second, but it does give you a bit of extra time.)

Don't forget though that you will need a police check for the country you'll be working in, since you'll be there for more than 6 months.

30th March 2011 - I-129F sent!

8th April 2011 - NOA1 Hardcopy recieved.

24th June 2011 - NOA2!!! [80 days]

30th June 2011 - NOA2 Hardcopy received.

27th July 2011 - Packet 3 instructions emailed to me!

27th July 2011 - Get my Police check done. 3-4 weeks? omg!

19th August 2011 - Medical!

22nd August 2011 - Medical results, passed!

29th August 2011 - i-134's arrived! Waiting on Police check. Emailed Consulate to see if they have it. :/

15th September 2011 - Finally send off packet 3! Neighbour stole first police check, form in i-134 was wrong and had to be resent, but it's all FINALLY on its way to Sydney! :)

22nd September 2011 - Packet 4 Received!

25th October 2011 - INTERVIEW! Eek!

25th October 2011 - Approved! :) Just need to mail my LONG birth certificate out so they can verify it and send the visa. Lol.

26th October 2011 - Birth certificate arrived in Sydney. Now to wait for my visa!!! :)

1st November 2011 - Visa Recieved!! :)

30th November 2011 - POE

19th January 2012 - Wedding

3rd February 2012 - Applied for SSN in maiden name

10th February 2012 - SSN arrived in mail

14th September 2012: Finally have the money saved up for AOS after a tough year. Going to start paperwork soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

event.png

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Sorry to get in on this post so late, but I have a similar situation. Received NOA2 Feb 1st, valid until May 30th. I need to take a contract job in Antarctica (still considered a US job) until October to raise money so I was going to delay sending packet 3 until close to the May 30th deadline. As I understand it packet 4 follows. Is there a time limit on that also? If so, I will stall in sending that also. Then hope I can delay the interview until October when I return to the US, perhaps by canceling the first interview as somebody suggested. Does this seem possible?

Also, we have child together if that helps our situation at all.

thanks in advance!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.