newmrsvick

Disorderly Conduct Citation - The Affects?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello -

This is an odd query but I was hoping I may find someone with insight into any possible repercussions. We have now filed our AOS and we are awaiting our next contact.

Basically I have been working through Camp America/BUNAC at summer camps in the USA for the last 3 years. In 2010 before I became engaged, I was part of a... girl scout treasure hunt gone array. I specifically was charged with a citation for disorderly conduct (which I disclosed on my I-485 form where asked for it), appeared in court and then all charges we dropped (with me paying the costs) since it was proved that I was not involved in the disorderly portion. It was nothing malicious, it was literally the whole management team (yes thats right, the bosses), challenged to a treasure hunt, that annoyed some locals without us realising that it would, and we paid the price for it. Did I mention that we were all dressed as Harry Potter characters at the time? Seriously, it is the most ridiculous story, and I am so hoping it does not have a negative effect on my application for AOS.

I including in my AOS package an explanation of the circumstances and certified copies of the dismissal and charge itself from the local court. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing before/know of any possible backfire that I should prepare for?

Thanks for your time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello -

This is an odd query but I was hoping I may find someone with insight into any possible repercussions. We have now filed our AOS and we are awaiting our next contact.

Basically I have been working through Camp America/BUNAC at summer camps in the USA for the last 3 years. In 2010 before I became engaged, I was part of a... girl scout treasure hunt gone array. I specifically was charged with a citation for disorderly conduct (which I disclosed on my I-485 form where asked for it), appeared in court and then all charges we dropped (with me paying the costs) since it was proved that I was not involved in the disorderly portion. It was nothing malicious, it was literally the whole management team (yes thats right, the bosses), challenged to a treasure hunt, that annoyed some locals without us realising that it would, and we paid the price for it. Did I mention that we were all dressed as Harry Potter characters at the time? Seriously, it is the most ridiculous story, and I am so hoping it does not have a negative effect on my application for AOS.

I including in my AOS package an explanation of the circumstances and certified copies of the dismissal and charge itself from the local court. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing before/know of any possible backfire that I should prepare for?

Thanks for your time!

Your profile says you entered with a K1 visa. Was this not already disclosed and put to rest at the visa interview?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No with it being an American citation, that information was never required or requested, and my police checks for UK were totally clean. it may be worth noting as well that although my name is in the local courts system, it is accompanied by a dismissal with costs verdict. I simply have to pay a lawyer to expunge it and it will exist no more.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

No with it being an American citation, that information was never required or requested, and my police checks for UK were totally clean. it may be worth noting as well that although my name is in the local courts system, it is accompanied by a dismissal with costs verdict. I simply have to pay a lawyer to expunge it and it will exist no more.

You misunderstand. Your US records WERE checked for the K1. If it wasn't an issue then it's unlikely to be an issue now. Present the court records, just so they don't think you're hiding it.

Also, even if it's expunged you have to disclose it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.