casiperuano

translation of Birth Certificate

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

My wife has brought her birth certifcate from Peru and it is in Spanish. I know it needs to be translated. I am fully fluent in English and Spanish. Do I need to get it professionally translated or can I do it myself?

Edited by casiperuano

My wife has brought her birth certifcate from Peru and it is in Spanish. I know it needs to be translated. I am fully fluent in English and Spanish. Do I need to get it professionally translated or can I do it myself?

No sir, you can't do it yourself. You should seek a certified translator if you don't want any problems with this. The cost is about .20 cents per word.If there are stamps or markings on the document they usually would need to be described as well. I wouldn't mess around looking for a super cheap way around this. If you want your documents approved do it right the first time and it won't cause a delay.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You certianly can do it yourself. See below the format taken from USCIS site to follow in doing so. The " certification " is simply the statement that you see. You do not need a certified translator. This format has been used countless times & accepted by USCIS.

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I have to disagree with scitrek1. I know of many people on visajourney who translated the birth certificate themselves and had no problem at all. What you need to do after translating the certificate, is write a note saying something like this:

Certification of Translator's Competence

I, (your full name), certify that I am competent in both English and Spanish and that this is a true and complete translation of the original document in Spanish.

Then, you sign it and date it and write your address.

K1 VISA

2010-10-13 Richie sent petition

2010-10-22 NOA1

2010-10-29 touched

2011-03-29 NOA2 (e-mail)

2011-04-04 NOA2 (hard copy)

2011-04-06 NVC received

2011-04-12 Consulate received

2011-04-12 Packet 3 Received

2011-04-12 Packet 3 sent to consulate

2011-04-15 Packet 3 received by consulate

2011-04-29 Packet 4 received (e-mail)

2011-05-12 Packet 4 received by mail

2011-05-19 Interview:APPROVED!!!!

2011-05-26 Visa received

2011-05-27 Entry to the USA (POE:Dallas)

2011-07-09 Wedding!!

AOS

2011-07-29 AOS package sent

2011-08-04 NOA 1 (e-mail)

2011-08-11 NOA 1 (hard copy)

2011-08-24 Biometrics

2011-08-29 I-485 transferred to CSC

2011-10-03 EAD and AP Document received!!

2011-10-27 Green Card production ordered!!

2011-10-31 Welcome letter received

2011-11-02 Greencard with incorrect data received

2011-11-05 I-90 submitted

2011-11-18 NOA 1

2011-12-12 Biometrics Appointment letter received

2011-12-21 Biometrics

2012-01-13 Green Card received

No sir, you can't do it yourself. You should seek a certified translator if you don't want any problems with this. The cost is about .20 cents per word.If there are stamps or markings on the document they usually would need to be described as well. I wouldn't mess around looking for a super cheap way around this. If you want your documents approved do it right the first time and it won't cause a delay.

This is from the webpage of http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.htm :thumbs:

you can take others advice and try it yourself. The only thing they may do is ask you to get a certified trans...

Translation Requirements

*All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

•Translation is accurate, and

•Translator is competent to translate

This is from the webpage of http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.htm :thumbs:

you can take others advice and try it yourself. The only thing they may do is ask you to get a certified trans...

Translation Requirements

*All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

•Translation is accurate, and

•Translator is competent to translate

I am not sure about the requirements for the USCIS, I was referring to items for NVC. In any event if someone has successfully done there own translation, then more power to "em. I just don't like to leave anything to chance andI followed all rules to the "T". Good Luck

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

We had my wifes professionally translated just to avoid any potential hassle. It was only $30 and we made several copies.

Troy & Anita

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We had my wifes professionally translated just to avoid any potential hassle. It was only $30 and we made several copies.

There is nothing wrong with using these paid translators but the form I copied above comes straight from USCIS. It has been used many times with zero problem. It is in fact the " certification " required. It has been used for NVC, USCIS & embassy matters. They are all part of the govt that provided the format & the form to follow it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.