els

unfriendly brits in SoCal

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So I must admit I like going to the odd English pub and having some overpriced fish and chips and the odd pint but why are the other brits in there always so unfriendly?! You'd think they'd be like 'hey, a new brit, how you doing?' seeing as we're like 6000 miles away from home soil! But no! Just today I was told off by some moody Mancunian about a Ploughmans as she told me insistently that a Ploughmans was just bread and cheese! And they wanted $15 for it! And it wasn't even British cheese! Where's the joie de corps etc? You know if it were the Yanks in Britain they'd be slapping each other on the back saying 'hey', where's the harm in that? I think it would be nice as I personally don't know many people here still and it'd be fun! Is Socal just full of moody styley brit pubs? Anyone know of any friendly ones?! The nicest people I've met are on this site!

Els

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, where did you go, the Olde Ship in Santa Ana? :D

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is in my mind no such thing as a British pub, but I avoid the ones that advertise themselves as such like the plague, the ones I have been in are invariably #######.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Which one did you go to and where?

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

There is in my mind no such thing as a British pub, but I avoid the ones that advertise themselves as such like the plague, the ones I have been in are invariably #######.

My friend, who is English, says this one here in Santa Ana is a pretty good one. It is owned by a British fellow. They have lots of choices of beer and pretty good choice of food but it is a bit pricy. My friend doesn't like it because all the beer is too cold but other than that he enjoys getting a chance to chat with other Brits. :D

There is also an Olde Ship in Fullerton. Craig was reluctant to go with me while he was here, but was pleasantly surprised. All but the British chic who laughed at his British ID and refused to serve him beer :( (Ale, whatever...)

I hope that wasn't the one you went to :( If not...I've never sat at the bar, just the tables, so I cant give my opinion on that...and the service leaves a little to be desired, but the food is amazing...

Timeline

Yes the Olde Ship in Fullerton is the one where I encountered the moody Manc! I teach literally next door at the music academy. Also the King's Head in Santa Monica was a bit grotty too. In their favour though they did us a cheese plate which wasn't on the menu for just $4 so major props for that! My husband really misses English cheese! I can't believe how expensive cheese is over here! The nicest pub we found and the one with the best chips is in San Diego called 'Shakespeares' at least they were friendly enough to help find us a table! Oh yer and there was another one in Riverside which I didn't know existed and the guy in there had a go at me for asking if they were gonna show the English footie match!

Els

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I can't believe how expensive cheese is over here!

I can't comment on anything else, but I just have to say if you think cheese is expensive here, then don't go to Canada! I used to drive regularly across the border to get cheese because of the price difference. Cheese here is so cheap by comparison. :yes:

Hope you find a Brit place more to your 'taste'. :)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

There is also an Olde Ship in Fullerton. Craig was reluctant to go with me while he was here, but was pleasantly surprised. All but the British chic who laughed at his British ID and refused to serve him beer :( (Ale, whatever...)

I hope that wasn't the one you went to :( If not...I've never sat at the bar, just the tables, so I cant give my opinion on that...and the service leaves a little to be desired, but the food is amazing...

The same guy, Doug, owns both of them. He bought the one in Santa Ana from a friend of mine and I think the Fullerton store has been carrying the load, no one is ever in the on in SA.

Ditto on finding a nicer place to frequent! That must be a bummer!

We have a 'British pub' in my hometown. They don't really advertise it as such, but we found out because the owner lives in my mom's neighborhood. We went the last time my fiance was in town and had a blast. Really nice place, nice people and good food. Too bad we can't transplant it to where you live!

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

Wow! Didn't realise cheese could be more expensive in Canada! I still miss my Wensleydale and Cheshire! I might get my parents to smuggle some over here in a cold bag when they come!

I've never been to the pub in Santa Ana, is the atmosphere nicer then the one in Fullerton? They're so clickey in there if you know what I mean! Well I saw on the other site that there's a meet up going on in the Santa Ana Pub in March, but I'm scared they might all be unfriendly! I'm also rather shy which doesn't help!

Els

Yes the Olde Ship in Fullerton is the one where I encountered the moody Manc!

....I'm sorry :( Ok, I'll shut up then and not suggest any places :blush: lol

I live about 10-15 minutes away from there, so thats the only one I know of in the area. I really am sorry you had such a terrible experience :( Its just the cottage pie and rhubarb crumble that keeps me coming back....I'm hopeless :blush:

The same guy, Doug, owns both of them. He bought the one in Santa Ana from a friend of mine and I think the Fullerton store has been carrying the load, no one is ever in the on in SA.

Ugh! I should go to the one in SA then because the one in Fullerton is always packed. The seating is terrible, I have to say. I cant tell you how many times I've been sat merely inches away from someone I've never met and then had to avoid hitting them with my elbow the rest of the time I'm there. Thanks for letting me in on that :thumbs:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Wow! Didn't realise cheese could be more expensive in Canada! I still miss my Wensleydale and Cheshire! I might get my parents to smuggle some over here in a cold bag when they come!

I've never been to the pub in Santa Ana, is the atmosphere nicer then the one in Fullerton? They're so clickey in there if you know what I mean! Well I saw on the other site that there's a meet up going on in the Santa Ana Pub in March, but I'm scared they might all be unfriendly! I'm also rather shy which doesn't help!

Els

Els, I'm having a laugh because that lot over there seem to say that *they* are the friendliest people in the *world* and are usually complaining about how 'fake' & cliquey their US friends are. I know that my UKC's experience of the US has been very different from most of what I read online, so take heart. It's all a crapshoot, and I think your own attitude will let you have fun wherever you decide to! :)

Go TexMex instead of PorkPie! ;)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I have been to the Shakespeare pub in San Diego a few times as its only a 25 min drive away. Only went there for the chips though, but to be honest, wasnt that impressed, they tasted like home made chips. I have always wondered how British chip shop chips taste the way they do and you cant duplicate them at home!

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Is it just me or is the beer in Ye Olde King Head fizzy? The food is super, though - I have dreams about the shepherds pie. My other half (UKC) reckons its just like a bad night out in London, though, and gets really embarassed when they play all the Oasis/Blur/Britpop

It's one of the deep mysteries of life, Lady Butterfly, I tell you!

. I have always wondered how British chip shop chips taste the way they do and you cant duplicate them at home!

90day.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.