els

unfriendly brits in SoCal

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wish they did play 'brit pop' in the Brit pubs! Whenever I've been in one they are playing country music which doesn't seem quite right! I know what you mean about the chips here. They're no where near as good as the chippie round the corner back home. I think the longer I've been out of the UK the better they taste, maybe as I'm forgetting the great flavour of the ones back home which is a real shame!

OOOh, I've just remembered that we've got a Heinz tinned golden syrup pud in the cupboard, should be a good munch when watching Idol tonight!

I love the puds at the pub in Santa Monica though, it must be said, not the same without the custard ofcourse!

Els

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

It's weird, a lot of brits here (myself included to be honest) came here to get away from the UK. While they still like british food and soccer they're not really all that interested in finding british 'mates' over here...

May sound a bit cold but I get a sense that this may be what's going on.

You might also find that said Brits are from a different part of the UK than you are and we all know the regional rivalries that go on!

On the other hand it may just be that they are socially retarded :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I hadn't thought of the fact that some Brits would want to just get on with their lives and pretend like England doesn't really exist! We're really attached still to England, watch lots of British TV, listen to British radio etc etc but then that's probably because we're hoping to move back there permanently. Our personalities clash with the culture of america (we're both classical musicians) and we miss the BBC proms etc plus we talk more to my parents back home then my husband's 5 miles down the road!

Thanks for the insight, I'll try not to judge others so harshly in future and certainly not take it personally!

Els

:thumbs:

regional rivalries??? sorry but how daft is that!! I know it goes on though.....

I loved havin a couple of english friends when I was studyin in Cali - it was good having someone to laugh with and talk about what we missed about home etc. Whenever I heard a tourist who was british I always spoke the them!! Actually Roshon probably started the conversation (he always tries to guess if they are 'northern' or 'southern' etc its so funny trying to explain a jordie or a scouser!!)

If i was in one of those manky sounding english pubs, i'd have been your friend :blush:

I absolutely love the States and can't wait to move back but I'll ALWAYS love England and it'll always be where I call home. I spend so much time complaining about england but i love it really!

Oh and why do chippy chips taste so dang good!! I missed them (and chesire cheese) sooooo much and I will do when I go back to my love! Roshon just doesn't get the chippy chip thing - he reckons any chips that are fatter than french fries taste like chippy chips :angry: we always bicker about it!!!!!

There was/is an authentic british chippy in Fresno - hahaha I went all excited and it was french fries and all types of exotic fish - no pies, gravy (northern thing!), curry, I don't even think they had regular cod!! I didn't even order anything - I was to heartbroken :crying:

09/20/05 NOA1 received
11/22/05 NOA2 received (65 days)
12/05/05 NVC received application! (say 2-4 week wait)
12/13/05 Found out forms were sent to London on 12/08/05!
12/20/05 Packet 3 received!
01/11/06 Medical - Knightsbridge London
01/18/06 Sent back packet 3!
02/15/06 Received packet 4!

02/13/06 INTERVIEW DATE 03/22/06 AT 10.30AM!! - APPROVED

Married July 29th 2006!!

08/17/2006 Filed for AOS and EAD
08/26/2006 NOA1 received for both (dated 08/24/06)
09/06/2006 RFE email.....not sure what for yet!
9/07/2006 Biometrics completed
10/13/2006 Transferred to CSC!!
11/02/2006 Approval email received!!
11/08/2006 Welcome to USA letter arrives!

11/13/2006 GREEN CARD RECEIVED - NO MISTAKES!!!!

06/06/08 Family moved back to UK!!

Husband gained UK citizenship September 2015

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family relocating back to California

06/27/2016 I-130 Spousal Visa application sent to London Embassy

07/05/2016 NOA 1

08/31/2016 NOA 2 - case transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy

09/13/2016 3rd Letter received with LND number

10/14/2016 Medical

10/31/2016 Embassy interview

Not seen ANY english style pubs here..not been looking though, I do miss the chippy though, although i never ate the fish, i mean seriously who wants to eat summat that was swimming in the north sea...have you seen the "floaters" in that!!!.............hahaha

gonna take my hubby for "real" fish & chips and he WILL eat em out of the paper...............hahahaha, i'll just have a chip buttie YAY!! wi bits of course :P

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

FWIW, the 'chippies' I had at the English pub here in no way compared to the ones I had when visiting my sweetheart. (L) Those alone are worth going back to Blimey for (not even mentioning the chocolate!!)!

:lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
It's weird, a lot of brits here (myself included to be honest) came here to get away from the UK. While they still like british food and soccer they're not really all that interested in finding british 'mates' over here...

May sound a bit cold but I get a sense that this may be what's going on.

While my hubster didn't come here to get away from the UK, he did tell me that he doesn't want to make friends based on the fact that they are from the same country. This was AFTER I'd joined us up to a Brit expats group :rolleyes: , which he doesn't mind for the occasional curry meetup, but he'd rather have things of interest in common...so his ever widening group of friends are all USCs....heh. So I don't think it sounds cold, and I know if hubster bumped into a Brit in the pub he frequents for footie matches, that he wouldn't be UNfriendly, but he might not establish a friendship just because they were Brits...if that makes sense.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

FWIW, the 'chippies' I had at the English pub here in no way compared to the ones I had when visiting my sweetheart. (L) Those alone are worth going back to Blimey for (not even mentioning the chocolate!!)!

:lol:

ahh yes, but don't forget, that was also when you were introduced to the concept of salt and vinegar on yer chips, rather than mayo. Makes all the difference . ;)

((hugs))

prestoportaitww0.jpg

My Timeline is the same as TracyTN

Yeah but I never liked mayo on my chippies. BLECK!!! Ketchup, yes. Mayo, no (where's that vomit emote when I need it??).

Salt and vinegar.....yum yum!!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
Our personalities clash with the culture of america (we're both classical musicians) and we miss the BBC proms etc plus we talk more to my parents back home then my husband's 5 miles down the road!

Im just wondering how your personalities clash with Americans because youre classical musicians?

I <3 NY

Filed: Other Timeline

amongst others we have a salt and battery downtown whom have really good fish and chips.

There are also dozens upon dozens of Irish pubs in the city which essentially sell british foods like shepherds pies, bangers and mash, some do sunday roasts etc

the only thing they dont sell in these pubs is the ploughmans, but i go to a cheese store, get the selections, get the rest of the ingredients and BAM its better than any pub

:D

I <3 NY

Anyone try the British Restaurant ? Corona Del Mar.

If you want a curry that is a.l.m.o.s.t....... as good as a British curry there's a great place in Laguna Beach!

I didn't realize there are so many ex-pats so close by. I work in Costa Mesa!

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Must admit, I've had no particular desire to 'go British' on any of my nights out since I've been here. That said, I've only been here (Fullerton) a month, so I'm still soaking up the local colour. I'd definitely be friendly if I met other Brits out here (though I haven't yet). I take the point that some folk might not want that, but it'd be good to hear an accent from back home.

Michael (London, UK) and Jennifer (CA, USA)

7/04 - Mike and Jenn meet online.

29/11/04 - Michael visits California

16/1/05 - Jennifer visits London

27/4/05 - Get hitched in Vegas

25/7/05 - I-130 sent

1/9/05 - I-129 sent

8/9/05 - NOA1 for I-129.

14/9/05 - Touched (I-129)

19/9/05 - Touched (I-129)

12/10/05 - APPROVED! (I-129)

19/1/06 - Receive Packet 4. Interview set for February 9th. Michael seen performing lewd dance moves in his bedroom by shocked neighbours

9/2/06 - Interview. Michael charms his way through the US Embassy in record time...then has to go back after they forget to take his receipt for the fee. Still...VICTORY

23/2/06 - Michael arives at LAX, babbles nonsense at customs officers. Eyebrows are raised

4/4/06 - NOA1s for EAD and AOD

14/4/06 - Receive notification of biometrics appointment on April 18th

18/4/06 - Biometrics complete

4/6/06 - AOS Interview set for July 24th

10/6/06 - EAD received

20/7/06 - SSN received

24/7/06 - AOS interview. APPROVED pending name check

2/9/06 - Welcome to America, you big stud. Kisses, the USCIS.

Notes From A Darkened Room - Of course you want to click here and read my mealy-mouthed gibberish.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.