PaulnUsa

Need Advice..

66 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee is from a mountain area. She has no access to net on cell. Her English skill are basic at best. My problem is that she is not able to fly to Manila alone and has no one who can help her or go with her. So I am going to have to fly back to the Philippines to help her go to manila for the medical and the embassy interview.

Money is a little tight so I am trying to figure best way to deal with booking my round trip ticket there and booking her one way ticket back to the USA. Has anyone went to the Philippines, to bring their fiancee home after the interview? What airlines did you fly? Did you have any problems getting your return ticket changed? What were the fees in doing so? Any problems getting a seat next to your fiancee added? Are there any airlines that are better or worse in doing this?

Also about time frame.. I filed the I-129 in the middle of August. I am planning to go to the Philippines around Middle of January. With NOA date of Aug 26. What is your best guess of NOA 2 and when I can book Medical Exam and Interview for her? What would be the best idea for dates to book my return ticket. My main concern is cost and lost time of work. I welcome any and all suggestions. Very stressed here, and like to have her here in the USA ASAP.

Thanks

Timeline

She has no access to net on cell. Her English skill are basic at best. My problem is that she is not able to fly to Manila alone and has no one who can help her or go with her. So I am going to have to fly back to the Philippines to help her go to manila for the medical and the embassy interview.

Money is a little tight so I am trying to figure best way to deal with booking my round trip ticket there and booking her one way ticket back to the USA. Has anyone went to the Philippines, to bring their fiancee home after the interview? What airlines did you fly? Did you have any problems getting your return ticket changed? What were the fees in doing so? Any problems getting a seat next to your fiancee added? Are there any airlines that are better or worse in doing this?

Also about time frame.. I filed the I-129 in the middle of August. I am planning to go to the Philippines around Middle of January. With NOA date of Aug 26. What is your best guess of NOA 2 and when I can book Medical Exam and Interview for her? What would be the best idea for dates to book my return ticket. My main concern is cost and lost time of work. I welcome any and all suggestions. Very stressed here, and like to have her here in the USA ASAP.

Thanks

If everything is smooth, NOA2 in 3mos, she can get the visa in 6-9mos.

My fiance booked a flexible flight to DELTA. Meaning, his return ticket can be rescheduled anytime in the year. I am not sure if it costs more.

Your fiancee should help you with this. She doesn't have net on cell, then look up for the map in the computer when she get a chance! She can't just sit there and do nothing. If she doesn't know then she has to figure it out. Ask people, research, talk to the people who have been to Manila. No one's allowed to be helpless here. This a tough process.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Timeline

My fiancee is from a mountain area. She has no access to net on cell. Her English skill are basic at best. My problem is that she is not able to fly to Manila alone and has no one who can help her or go with her. So I am going to have to fly back to the Philippines to help her go to manila for the medical and the embassy interview.

Thanks

What mountain area? Doesn't see have relatives or friends in Manila area? I am also afraid of flying or traveling alone but I guess as long as you know how and where to ask for assistance its not difficult. Besides, when submitting for a medical and interview, we may be confident at its best that everything goes well but always remember sometimes fates makes its game - meaning we have a percentage that along the way an uncertain / unexpected results comes in that will drag out the visa processing in a longer time. My fiance wanted to be with me too. Just like you, he was afraid of me traveling to an unfamiliar area, however the good thing is, I got relatives in Manila whom I can ask for help anytime.

If your money tight and more so afraid losing your work, maybe you need to think about some alternative than risking a big chunk in your life. Your work is important too but will it be worth the chance to risk it and turn around that the visa processing time may be extended? - I don't mean to sound rude :( I just think practicality works best nowadays. - Honestly, if me and your fiance had just been scheduled same time and she has none to be with. I would offer her a place where I stayed. I know my aunts doesn't mind visitors and even help as much as she can. It sucks coz I am done with my interview already. When is her interview and where is she from. I know I hardly know your fiancee and trust is a big time, both ways. But with your situation, financially, I know where you are coming and so I understand.

Edited by Dean_De

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks

I know this is a difficult situation for you but if money is this tight I suggest you proceed with caution. I havent seen too many if any people getting an NOA 2 in 3 months or a visa in 6. Especially from the P I.

The Manila embassy is known to be tough & slow. I am sure they are very busy. Its coming up to the U S holiday period which affects all embassies. Any holidays in the P I will affect the embassy as well.

It would be a good idea to see if there are people that can advise you as to how to help her do some of what has to be done without you being there. It might be cheaper to hire an agency to guide her when the time comes rather than you going there.

There have been cases reported here on V J from the P I where the person had to wait a long time to even be issued the visa after the interview. Review the experiances of some people that have been thru this in Manila.

Timeline

I know this is a difficult situation for you but if money is this tight I suggest you proceed with caution. I havent seen too many if any people getting an NOA 2 in 3 months or a visa in 6. Especially from the P I.

The Manila embassy is known to be tough & slow. I am sure they are very busy. Its coming up to the U S holiday period which affects all embassies. Any holidays in the P I will affect the embassy as well.

It would be a good idea to see if there are people that can advise you as to how to help her do some of what has to be done without you being there. It might be cheaper to hire an agency to guide her when the time comes rather than you going there.

There have been cases reported here on V J from the P I where the person had to wait a long time to even be issued the visa after the interview. Review the experiances of some people that have been thru this in Manila.

Our I-129F got approved 104 days. Approximately more than 3 months. I had seen people ( but rare in number that took really 3 months when they got their I129-F approved) My visa got approved within 6 months. That even include the time we ust decided to wait till my fiance got the hardcopy of the Manilia case number. Had we not wait and just kept calling, we probably got the approval in like 5 months time :D So, 3 months approval of I-129F and 6 months visa approval is possible :D

Timeline

Well I know someone. Maybe she's just one of the lucky one. She got it 6 mos and 2 weeks to be exact. Wow Dean_De, good for you!

It might be cheaper to hire an agency to guide her when the time comes rather than you going there.

He doesn't need an agency. Fiancee just need to use her brain and have some sense of initiative (sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I just feel sorry for you).

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well I know someone. Maybe she's just one of the lucky one. She got it 6 mos and 2 weeks to be exact. Wow Dean_De, good for you!

He doesn't need an agency. Fiancee just need to use her brain and have some sense of initiative (sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I just feel sorry for you).

There are exceptions I am sure but the OP indicates he has a time & money problem. He wants to know if he can plan on something like you describe. That would be very risky in my opinion. Many things can go wrong or affect the outcome & timeline of his case. If he decides to go to the P I based on what you say & it doesnt work out it would put both of them in a very difficult position.

He may very well need an agency because no matter what you think about her ability in your rude commentary. He doesnt think she can function alone in this difficult situation. There are many people that have asked for help here because they couldnt do this alone. She isnt any different other than she lives far away from Manila. I am sure it would intimidate anyone to have to go to do all these things alone.

I myself was very unsure of many aspects of what had to be done in my own case. Traveling to BKK on airplanes, visiting variouse U S & Thai govt offices, hotels in a huge city ect was very intimidating to me. I was lucky to have my USC husband right there to do the planning & help me thru the whole process. It wasnt my brain that didnt work it was simply a total lack of experiance in anything along these lines.

No need to feel sorry for him. What we need to do here is offer the best positive advise we can.

If you are a little bit tight of money then the best thing you can do is not to go there. Let her fly alone... Book a hotel near st. Lukes for medical... And hotel near us embassy for interview. If she or you are worried how she will get from airport to the hotel make an arrangement for hotel pick up from airport to hotel and hotel to airport. that way she wont get lost or etc... Now tell your girlfriend to learn to ask people if she cant figure out things. Thats what she gotta learn for you to save money and wont be out of work for long time. :)

There are exceptions I am sure but the OP indicates he has a time & money problem. He wants to know if he can plan on something like you describe. That would be very risky in my opinion. Many things can go wrong or affect the outcome & timeline of his case. If he decides to go to the P I based on what you say & it doesnt work out it would put both of them in a very difficult position.

He may very well need an agency because no matter what you think about her ability in your rude commentary. He doesnt think she can function alone in this difficult situation. There are many people that have asked for help here because they couldnt do this alone. She isnt any different other than she lives far away from Manila. I am sure it would intimidate anyone to have to go to do all these things alone.

I myself was very unsure of many aspects of what had to be done in my own case. Traveling to BKK on airplanes, visiting variouse U S & Thai govt offices, hotels in a huge city ect was very intimidating to me. I was lucky to have my USC husband right there to do the planning & help me thru the whole process. It wasnt my brain that didnt work it was simply a total lack of experiance in anything along these lines.

No need to feel sorry for him. What we need to do here is offer the best positive advise we can.

:thumbs:

I've lived in Metro Manila my entire life, so I know my way around. But I can see how a girl who has lived in the provinces her entire life and doesn't know her way around a big city would be quite daunted, intimidated and scared, especially if she has a hard time with English and Tagalog. I agree that in that case, it's a matter of a lack of experience, not a lack of intelligence. However, if it would be too much of a financial risk for the OP to fly here and assist his fiancée with the visa process, he could look into hiring the services of an agency, as another posted suggested. Or better yet, make arrangements for her in advance and research the directions to SLEC and the U.S. Embassy so she can familiarize herself with them.

Edited by The Humanists

USCIS

03/21/11 - I-130 petition sent

03/25/11 - NOA1

09/08/11 - NOA2

NVC

09/12/11 - Case received by NVC

09/29/11 - NVC case number generated

09/30/11 - Received DS-3032 and I-864 bill

10/02/11 - Paid I-864 bill and emailed DS-3032

10/03/11 - NVC accepted DS-3032

10/04/11 - Received IV bill/I-864 bill marked as paid

10/21/11 - Paid IV bill10/24/11 - IV bill marked as paid

11/03/11 - Mailed I-864 and DS-230 packages

11/04/11 - I-864 and DS-230 packages reached NVC

11/10/11 - Case completed

11/29/11 - Received interview appointment letter

SLEC/Manila Consulate

11/04/11 & 11/08/11 - Medical exam completed and passed

01/03/12 - Interview - Approved!

01/04/12 - Visa issued

01/09/12 - Visa received

US Entry

01/17/12 - POE: Honolulu; with connecting flight to San Francisco

02/09/12 - Applied for SSN at SSA office

02/11/12 - Welcome letter arrived in the mail

02/13/12 - 2-yr green card arrived in the mail

Removal of Conditions

12/09/13 - I-751 petition sent

12/11/13 - NOA1 receipt date

12/12/13 - Money order cashed

01/06/14 - Biometrics appointment

04/10/14 - RFE

07/03/14 - RFE response sent

07/22/14 - ROC approved!

07/31/14 - Estimated arrival of 10-year GC, according to USPS tracking

Timeline

Thanks

Hi there! I read and understand your situation. I know you are very excited and worried about the whole process especially that your fiancee lives very far from Manila. I live far from Manila too, but not on the mountain area. I had to fly to Manila for our medical and interview. For now, just relax, don't make any concrete schedules / plans yet unless you get your NOA2. In our case, we got our NOA2 in 3 months time, but every case is different, I have noticed it here in VJs. Your plan to be with your fiancee during medical and interview is good considering of her not so well-rounded. Yeah, she could make a research and plan out to help you make things work, but, it really depends on her self-confidence and determination. Manila is a big and crowded city. Its good for me as I come here most often because of my work. She may not be like other Filipina women who have the courage, experiences and initiatives. Thank you for being so kind and understanding to her. I agree the whole process is so stressful and it takes a lot of efforts and patience. I hope later after you get your NOA2 you can figure out when you need to come. It takes like 2-3 weeks to get the Mla case no from NVC. Once you get the case no. she can already go for medical. The medical at St. Luke is quite not so difficult if she has no problem, will only take 2 days. The medical result is very critical because if she gets problem the scheduled interview at the US embassy will be posponed to a later date. I really suggest not to buy your plane ticket for now. Just give it more time and wait patiently for the approval of the petition. One step at a time Ok...as you say, money is tight and work is very important too. So it is wise to plan well and with concrete basis. Don't worry too much, if it is God's will, He will surely make a way! I know your feeling. Just offer it all to God as He knows the desires of your heart. God bless to all of us !

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Paul,

You should NEVER purchase tickets for the Flight to the US until after she has the actual Visa in hand. Even if she's approved at the interview there can be numerous delays in the issuance of the Visa. Even worse, she could get the dreaded 221(g) form which would delay Visa issuance by weeks or worse yet she could get AP and have to wait months for the Visa.

I'm going to repeat what others have said, your girl really needs to put on her big girl panties and figure it out. If she really is unable to get back & forth to Manila either by herself or with some assistance then can you imagine how difficult her adjustment here is going to be. I know, you're thinking "but she'll have me once she's here" and you're right but unless you're interdependently wealthy and don't need to work then you'll have other things to do and she'll have to learn a lot of the US stuff on her own.

The Visa process should be a joint effort between the petitioner & beneficiary, she really needs to pull her share of the load especially since you're going to be covering the entire cost of the process.

Timeline

If you are a little bit tight of money then the best thing you can do is not to go there. Let her fly alone... Book a hotel near st. Lukes for medical... And hotel near us embassy for interview. If she or you are worried how she will get from airport to the hotel make an arrangement for hotel pick up from airport to hotel and hotel to airport. that way she wont get lost or etc... Now tell your girlfriend to learn to ask people if she cant figure out things. Thats what she gotta learn for you to save money and wont be out of work for long time. :)

Yes, this is also a good suggestion! you can plan out on this once you got your NOA2 and case no. In my case, I am booked now in one of the nearest hotels here in St. Luke, "Case Bocobo". It is walk-in distance to St. Luke and I think 5-10 mins to US Embassy. We (me and kids) finished out medical already last Friday. We are going to have our interview very soon - its countdown for our judgment day ! I'm feeling so nervous, but I have to be strong. My Fiance is not with me, but he's coming for Christmas and New Year to be with us. Good luck to me and to all of us !

Timeline

I was just perusing this forum looking for unrelated info and saw your post. I am not one to get on forums and such but all the naysayers got my attention so thought I would try to give some useful info.

For airlines, I would check Eva Air and China Airlines. Both have reasonable fares < $1000 from the West coast. And fees to change flights are reasonable, unlike the US based carriers. Example, we flew China Airlines from LAX to MNL for $650 round trip in March. Had to change return flight which only cost $30. If you are not near the West Coast, which I am not, fly Southwest to LAX. Unlike the other US carriers can just buy one way tickets and change flights or use unused tickets with no penalty. I usually buy cheapest fare I can with them about 3-4 weeks in advance and then keep checking for something cheaper. And if not sure on the return, I buy separate one way ticket, and just watch the fares and try to finalize a couple weeks in advance to get best deal. Tue and Wed usually cheapest days to fly, but sometimes Sat Sun also good.

Despite what others may say I would suggest you avoid any Agency (most all are scams and ripoffs)and if possible do fly and help your fiancee as much as you can. I had found some good info on this forum but the whole process can be very confusing. Getting anything done in Manila takes forever, long and multiple lines to stand in for everything. St Lukes could take 2 days. Timing could be a problem as there is a time gap between the medical and the interview. I think two weeks for us. Not sure what current rules are as it was 4 years ago for us but I did go with my wife to her interview (i think I saw where US citizens can no longer do so). We stayed at the Best Western, walking distance and not too expensive. She was very nervous and when that happens her English tend to fail her which is common. (even after 15 years of going to the Philippines and with my wife for 8 years I still have to remind myself of the cultural differences) The Filipino clerks at the US Embassy tend to give their fellow Filipinos a hard time but the Consulate is American so more understanding. Our interview was mostly me and him talking sports. If you cannot accompany her then practice with her in English the responses to the typical questions they will ask. You can find on this forum.

Good Luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.