mike42979

Is her Philippine degree worthless in the U.S???

39 posts in this topic

Its not worthless. Its still a degree. I got into all the grad schools I applied to with my Philippine degree, all I needed was to have my transcript validated by a foreign company and my grades converted into the US equivalent. I did not need additional courses. St. Paul is a good school too. I am not sure how easy it is to get a job in her field but she is still a college grad no matter what.

:yes::thumbs:

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Pretty much. However, she can have her course work evaluated by the school she wishes to attend here in the US, and have that apply toward a degree her once she meets the residency requirements of that particular school. If she decides to have her degree evaluated by an accreditation service, make sure the service is one that will be generally accepted, or at least will be accepted by whatever firm she wishes to apply to.

My wife has both a law degree from the University of Manila and a business management degree from Centro Escolar University. So far, they say, "impressive", but neither degree helped her get a job in either field.

Agree. My transcript was evaluated by my current school and applied some of my credits (mostly Math and English) from my HRM degree to my current degree which is Marketing. Instead of 4, I'll be done in 2 years and if I continue on taking 12-15 credits every semester (even without taking summer classes), I will graduate in Fall 2013. :)

September 2007-- Met Online (FilipinaHeart.com)
March 12,2009-- Married at Quezon City Hall of Justice
USCIS/NVC STAGE
May 8,2009-- I-130 Sent
August 17,2009-- I-130 Approved
August 26, 2009--case received at NVC
November 5,2009--CASE COMPLETED
USEM MANILA STAGE/ U.S. SOIL
November 17-18,2009--Medical PASSED
December 10, 2009--Interview @ 8:30AM A-P-P-R-O-V-E-D
January 25, 2010--FLIGHT(Manila-Japan-Detroit,MI-Buffalo,NY)
February 22,2010-- 2-yr GREEN CARD received
February 26, 2010--SSN received
REMOVING of CONDITIONS
December 22, 2011-- I-751 mailed
February 28, 2012-- Biometrics done

October 10, 2012-- 10-yr GREEN CARD received
NATURALIZATION
January 09, 2013-- sent N-400
January 28, 2013-- Biometrics

May 22, 2013-- Interview Passed- Officially a US Citizen!

My fiancee has a B.S from St. Paul University Quezon City in Hotel and Restaurant management but i cant figure out if her degree is valid in the U.S or if her schools accreditation is valid here for transfer of credits i just dont know anything lol :bonk:

I'm speaking behalf of my friend. She married to USC many years ago. She attended school in my country before move to USA after married . But she told me, only a few subjetcs that had been accredited. She then went to school agan, took her nursing field, and having a job now.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Some services online (which you pay for) will do it all for you. They will get your transcripts and figure out what you lack or don't lack to be accredited in the usa.

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't think its worthless....

I'm working in utility company with a government compliance right now. And I used all my Philippine credentials from school and work when I applied. I didn't came from prestigious with-so-much accreditation school and I didn't my school stuff evaluated. They seemed to just validate it to make sure I am who I am.

Just a thought..... I observed when I was applying job to different companies... They don't care about where you get your credentials as long as they can validate it and you really have experience with the job you're applying.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Filed: Timeline

Don't think its worthless....

I'm working in utility company with a government compliance right now. And I used all my Philippine credentials from school and work when I applied. I didn't came from prestigious with-so-much accreditation school and I didn't my school stuff evaluated. They seemed to just validate it to make sure I am who I am.

Just a thought..... I observed when I was applying job to different companies... They don't care about where you get your credentials as long as they can validate it and you really have experience with the job you're applying.

Experience trumps education. :thumbs:

My fiancee has a B.S from St. Paul University Quezon City in Hotel and Restaurant management but i cant figure out if her degree is valid in the U.S or if her schools accreditation is valid here for transfer of credits i just dont know anything lol :bonk:

this is too coincidental, my sister in law just came here last May and she is a graduate of Hotel and Restaurant Management from St. Paul University, MANILA. She is now working for Crowne Plaza hotel in Anaheim as a Guest Service Rep. I asked her if it was an issue when she applied for the job that she graduated from the philippines. She said, they read her resume and asked for her original transcripts and then they made a copy of it and that's it...she got the job.

in my opinion, the school accreditation and transfer of credits is only needed if you will be going back to school...

the job where I am in now. i wrote in my application that I had a B.A. degree and they just asked for proof. i even gave them a copy not a certified true copy... :thumbs:

1997- met in Highschool (philippines)

2004 - andrea migrated to U.S.

2005 - visited then b.f.

2007 - MARRIED

2008 - visited now husband in philippines

jULY 24, 2009 - andrea got her U.S. Citizenship

july 30,2009- I130 received

august 2009- VISITED hubby

sept 14, 2009- I130 approved

november 12, 2009 -case complete

december 14, 2009- interview -APPROVED!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A couple points to consider:

A "High School Diploma" in the Philippines is (generally and normally) completed at age 16. This (generally) concludes with a total of 10 years of primary and secondary instruction (education).

A "Bachelors Degree" in the Philippines is (generally) completed at age 20. It generally includes 4 years of post secondary (post High School) instruction. When completed, the student will have 14 years of instruction (education).

In the USA, a High School Diploma is (generally and normally) completed at age 18. This (generally) concludes with a total of 12 years of primary and secondary instruction (education).

In the USA, a Bachelors Degree is (generally) completed at age 22. It generally includes 4 years of post secondary (post High School) instruction. When completed, the student will have 16 years of instruction (education).

As you can see, and can be validated by looking at (most) Philippine University "Bachelor Degree" curriculum, a "Bachelor Degree" in the Philippines is analagous to a 2 year Associates Degree in the USA - not a Bachelors Degree in the USA. The first 2 years of the Philippine "Bachelors Degree" is analogous to the Third and Fourth year of USA High Schoool (secondary instruction years 11 and 12 in the USA). The last 2 years of the Philippine "Bachelor Degree" is analagous to the first 2 years of post secondary instruction (post High School) in the USA. Depending on the subject matter (major) of the Philippine "Bachelor Degree", these 2 years may be more in line with a USA 2 year Technical College degree or a USA 2 year Community College Associates Degree or simply the first 2 years of course study in a USA 4 year University Bachelor Degree curriculum.

As many have stated here already, the USE of the Philippine Bachelor Degree in the USA is MOST IMPORTANT DETERMINANT in how it will be viewed and received:

As a general Post Secondary Educational Achievement, for example, in an unregulated profession (such as a Philippine HRM Bachelor Degree in the USA Hotel Management Industry), it can provide value on its face, by demonstrating to a prospective employer that the candidate began a long term course of action, perservered in that course of action and completed that course action (ie began, persevered and completed (graduated) a University Degree), regardless of the underlying details of the degree program of study. This is a very attractive candidate attribute to a perspective employer.

As an attained Degree in in a Regulated profession (such as Nursing or Law), the value of the Philippine Degree is more subject to scrutany based in the institution conferring the degree and the curriculum of the degree itself. There are also

career specific proficiency exams required by Regulation Agencies in the USA that will be required in addition to the scrutany of the attained Degree - NCLEX, for example, in the Nursing profession.

As an attained Degree for use in continued study for other attained Degrees in USA-based Institutes of Education (Universities, Colleges, etc), the fact that the Philippine Bachelor Degree (as a Degree) was conferred will be nearly meaningless. An evaluation of the specific coursework that was undertaken and completed (on a course by course basis) that made up the curriculum of the Degree at the specific University in the Philippines will be required. This evaluation must be performed by one of Associations accredited and approved for such curriculum evaluations by the USA University (or other Institute of Higher Learning) where credit is being sought. In general, the BEST CASE SCENARIO for a holder of a Philippine University issued "Bachelor Degree", would be gaining Junior Year (3rd Year) entry standing in a 4 year Bachelor Degree program of Study at a USA University or College. (Keep in mind that the first 2 years of a Philippine "Bachelor Degree" are years 11 and 12 of secondary instruction (education), which are equivalent to the last 2 years (years 11 and 12) of USA High School and as such would, generally, receive zero or close to zero transfer credit toward a USA University/College Bachelor Degree program of study. This would be a BEST CASE SCNARIO, a more NORMAL SCNARIO would be that the course by course review by the Curriculum Evaluation Association would result in "some" courses being accepted for transfer. Normally, the more specialized, regulated, higher level the degree, the less credits that will qualify for transfer.

Warm Regards,

Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

A couple points to consider:

A "High School Diploma" in the Philippines is (generally and normally) completed at age 16. This (generally) concludes with a total of 10 years of primary and secondary instruction (education).

A "Bachelors Degree" in the Philippines is (generally) completed at age 20. It generally includes 4 years of post secondary (post High School) instruction. When completed, the student will have 14 years of instruction (education).

In the USA, a High School Diploma is (generally and normally) completed at age 18. This (generally) concludes with a total of 12 years of primary and secondary instruction (education).

In the USA, a Bachelors Degree is (generally) completed at age 22. It generally includes 4 years of post secondary (post High School) instruction. When completed, the student will have 16 years of instruction (education).

As you can see, and can be validated by looking at (most) Philippine University "Bachelor Degree" curriculum, a "Bachelor Degree" in the Philippines is analagous to a 2 year Associates Degree in the USA - not a Bachelors Degree in the USA. The first 2 years of the Philippine "Bachelors Degree" is analogous to the Third and Fourth year of USA High Schoool (secondary instruction years 11 and 12 in the USA). The last 2 years of the Philippine "Bachelor Degree" is analagous to the first 2 years of post secondary instruction (post High School) in the USA. Depending on the subject matter (major) of the Philippine "Bachelor Degree", these 2 years may be more in line with a USA 2 year Technical College degree or a USA 2 year Community College Associates Degree or simply the first 2 years of course study in a USA 4 year University Bachelor Degree curriculum.

As many have stated here already, the USE of the Philippine Bachelor Degree in the USA is MOST IMPORTANT DETERMINANT in how it will be viewed and received:

As a general Post Secondary Educational Achievement, for example, in an unregulated profession (such as a Philippine HRM Bachelor Degree in the USA Hotel Management Industry), it can provide value on its face, by demonstrating to a prospective employer that the candidate began a long term course of action, perservered in that course of action and completed that course action (ie began, persevered and completed (graduated) a University Degree), regardless of the underlying details of the degree program of study. This is a very attractive candidate attribute to a perspective employer.

As an attained Degree in in a Regulated profession (such as Nursing or Law), the value of the Philippine Degree is more subject to scrutany based in the institution conferring the degree and the curriculum of the degree itself. There are also

career specific proficiency exams required by Regulation Agencies in the USA that will be required in addition to the scrutany of the attained Degree - NCLEX, for example, in the Nursing profession.

As an attained Degree for use in continued study for other attained Degrees in USA-based Institutes of Education (Universities, Colleges, etc), the fact that the Philippine Bachelor Degree (as a Degree) was conferred will be nearly meaningless. An evaluation of the specific coursework that was undertaken and completed (on a course by course basis) that made up the curriculum of the Degree at the specific University in the Philippines will be required. This evaluation must be performed by one of Associations accredited and approved for such curriculum evaluations by the USA University (or other Institute of Higher Learning) where credit is being sought. In general, the BEST CASE SCENARIO for a holder of a Philippine University issued "Bachelor Degree", would be gaining Junior Year (3rd Year) entry standing in a 4 year Bachelor Degree program of Study at a USA University or College. (Keep in mind that the first 2 years of a Philippine "Bachelor Degree" are years 11 and 12 of secondary instruction (education), which are equivalent to the last 2 years (years 11 and 12) of USA High School and as such would, generally, receive zero or close to zero transfer credit toward a USA University/College Bachelor Degree program of study. This would be a BEST CASE SCNARIO, a more NORMAL SCNARIO would be that the course by course review by the Curriculum Evaluation Association would result in "some" courses being accepted for transfer. Normally, the more specialized, regulated, higher level the degree, the less credits that will qualify for transfer.

Warm Regards,

Samby

Jeez. Like I said, when I had my bachelors degree evaluated, mine came out as equivalent to a US degree. I never needed to take extra courses. I am currently in grad school for speech pathology here in PA. :) I even have a partial scholarship!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Agree with the above post, my wife had her BA in Business Accounting evaluated by WES, and her St. Paul University Surigao degree was deemed the equivalent of a bachelors degree. The problem came with trying to transfer these credits to a American university when for some reason many (most?) of her courses seemed to be two-credit courses, so they really didn't "translate" into a similar American class for transfer purposes.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Have a Bachelors degree in Psychology in University of San Carlos (Cebu). Had mine evaluated and is equivalent to US degree. Though right now I work in a Montessori School, I am still debating of whether to go in a grad school to get my Masters or shift into Nursing...sigh! :wacko:

bunbunard20090713_-6_ETHAN.png

I-751 Lifting Conditions Timeline

April 06, 2010 - mailed I-751 documents via usps express mail(overnight)with delivery confirmation

April 07, 2010 - packet delivered and signed

April 12, 2010 - check was cashed

April 13, 2010 - received NOA1 (dated 04/08/10)

May 07, 2010 - Biometrics

May 10, 2010 - Touched

June 23, 2010 - APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!

DSC00770.jpg

not entirely. if she'll look for a job that does not require a degree (highschool level only) then it's not needed, but if she will look for a job in her field then it will be applicable as is (employers usually will give other proof of past job experience), and then if she wants for pursue higher education or teach in her field, she'll need to have her tor evaluated by an equivalency agency to see if hers is equivalent to US degree/standards or if she needs to get more units to compensate for non-equivalency :)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Timeline

Jeez. Like I said, when I had my bachelors degree evaluated, mine came out as equivalent to a US degree. I never needed to take extra courses. I am currently in grad school for speech pathology here in PA. :) I even have a partial scholarship!

That's terrific for you. However, Curriculum evaluations are on a course by course basis. THEN, that course by course evaluation is matched up to a SPECIFIC DEGREE PROGRAM AT A SPECIFIC (USA) EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION.

There is no way of saying that "My degree is equivalent to a USA Degree". The evaluation is that "My specfic (Philippine) course curricuum that I followed for my Degree matches up against the specific course curriculum requirements of XYZ Degree at ABC University in the USA and ABC University has agreed to grant me academic transfer credit for the following courses in their degree program."

If all the required courses in their degree program are covered by this course by course granting of accademic credit, then great (a rare thing indeed). If not, you will have to make up the difficiencies.

Warm Regards,

Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

That may be true I guess. I went to UP and none of my friends have had problems going to grad schools here in the US. I don't know about St.Paul but I went to a similar catholic school in manila (st.scho) for high school and I know they have high standards as well. It depends on the school but it can't hurt to try. In general, I feel like my education in the Philippines was more extensive than the education here. We had more school days, longer hours and less extra-curricular activities. I am currently doing my clinical placement for grad school at the local school district, and so far I am not that impressed... kids care more about appearance and sports than academics. But the facilities are much better. :)

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

Whoever said that education in the Philippines is meaningless doesn't know what they are talking about. I finished Highschool when I was 14. Finished college when I was 18. I started working a few months after graduation. I finished even earlier than the average age of 20. Was age ever a problem for me? Never.

Like Steph, I honestly believe the education I received in the Philippines is a lot more extensive than what I see kids getting here. Like for example, some are so clueless about history or geography. I feel like I know more about the US and the world!

A few days after I got my EAD, I started looking for jobs similar to what I had in the Phils. I submitted applications to several companies, all requiring Bachelors Degree related to IT. I never had any problems with them not accepting my application or being interested in me. In fact, I'll be signing a contract at the end of the month for one of the Fortune 500 companies here in the US. They are very much happy to hire someone like me :)

event.png

K1 Timeline

2010-11-02: NOA1

2011-03-24: NOA2!!! :)

2011-04-08: Case arrived at Embassy ( tracked through DHL)

2011-04-11/12: Medical at St Lukes

2011-04-25: INTERVIEW :) Earliest slot available online is May 6, called to see if there is an earlier date. Got Apr 25 :)

2011-05-11: POE at LAX Airport

2011-06-25: We got married!

2011-08-02: AOS/ AP/ EAD filed

2011-08-09: AOS NOA1

2011-09-06: Biometrics Appointment

2011-10-20: AOS Interview @ Detroit USCIS

5477902625_3cbb8daa8d_t.jpg5478473242_22ddaecd18_t.jpg5478483180_7fc17c0b8f_t.jpg5477910219_4cba055980_t.jpg5478504360_9bcbcc2c98_t.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.