JessicaBooth

Experimental Drug Use :(

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Just wanted to say I really do hope everything works out for you both! And I moved to the UK from the US to get married and live-- it's not so bad! :P The important thing is to be together.

haha Thank you! and agreed about being together. Good to know that it wont stop us! And if I do end up going over there I may need to ask advice and that process :)

Timeline

theres hardly anything about this anywhere but i did find this and hopefully this would be worse case scenario...

http://www.pcurtislaw.com/immigration-law-forum/k1-fiance-visas/k-1-visa-denial-interview

from what i can work out from other sites though the fact that he was under the age of 18 at the time he took the drug could make a big difference. it also seems that a life time ban would be highly unlikely :)

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They really need to ask that question in a different way...

Have you ever used drugs? =/= Are you a drug abuser? -- in my mind anyway.

I hope everything works out for you. I'm sure it will be fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They really need to ask that question in a different way...

Have you ever used drugs? =/= Are you a drug abuser? -- in my mind anyway.

I hope everything works out for you. I'm sure it will be fine.

He admitted to taking an illegal drug in his medical report but 'forgot' about it when he answered the question.

I would not even try and talk my way out of that one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

He admitted to taking an illegal drug in his medical report but 'forgot' about it when he answered the question.

OP said "For my fiances medical he checked off the box that he had not misused or abused drugs. He thought that he was answering honestly because he considered abusing drugs as currently using them and relying on them. In the past he tried ecstasy experimentally, once, when he was 17."

My point was it's completely different to ask someone if they've "tried drugs before" or "misused or abused drugs". There's a mile of difference between trying a drug when you're young and being a drug addict. Hence her fiance's confusion and why I think they need to change the question if they don't want people to answer it how it is asked.

Edited by dukeandduchess

The form from London medical says

9. Have you ever misused or abused drugs?

The guy didn't think a one-off time as a teen was misuse or abuse. He didn't approach it with the intent to lie. He thought that question applied to s person who used to get high every weekend at some point in his history, if not currently.

If you Boiler had taken a couple of drags off a joint one time as a 17-year-old, would you classify yourself as a misuser or abuser of drugs?

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

The form from London medical says

9. Have you ever misused or abused drugs?

The guy didn't think a one-off time as a teen was misuse or abuse. He didn't approach it with the intent to lie. He thought that question applied to s person who used to get high every weekend at some point in his history, if not currently.

If you Boiler had taken a couple of drags off a joint one time as a 17-year-old, would you classify yourself as a misuser or abuser of drugs?

Thanks for understanding. He honestly thought he was answering this question correctly. Were in the process of getting as many character references as possible in hopes that it may help at the interview. So frustrating. :(

Timeline

Maybe not abuser, I guess that would depend on how many drags, but unless I had a prescription then certainly a misuser.

There is a minor problem with the drugs, I think, a potentially major one about lying about it.

I really would not keep digging that particular hole.

Personally I would have a legal consult.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Misuse is defined as "abused" in the dictionary. It's asking the same thing. Hence the reason they need to change this question. It's misleading. I don't think OP's fiance "lied" he answered it as it was worded. Pretty sure if it asking if he "tried" drugs he would have answered yes.

Again, I'd bring the letters and have a good explanation for why he answered no. Asking for legal help isn't a bad idea since clearly some people think this question is straightforward.

Timeline

He really thought that misused and abused meant that he had either used them over a long period of time or was currently relying on them etc. Once they got the papers from the previous doctor and they called him and asked then if he had ever tried drugs, he said yes. It's not like he was denying trying them, he just didn't realize that that would label him as an abuser and thats why he marked no on the questionnaire.

He's just going to be completely honest with what he thought the question was asking and of course he will tell them about the one time he tried drugs. He's not going to hide anything. He's the most honest person I know and wouldn't try to scam his way out of things...

I'm sure in the end things will be fine, whether we get denied and we have to try again or what. We will be together once I finish uni in December and things will be great. :D

Timeline

If you intend playing the stupid card I would really pass it by a lawyer first.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So sorry to hear you have had this difficulty, it seems really unfortunate that his files were even called from his doctor...is that suaul practise?! I always figured the medical was a stand alone thing?! Best of luck with getting it sorted, those character references sound like a brillaint idea :)

Timeline

So sorry to hear you have had this difficulty, it seems really unfortunate that his files were even called from his doctor...is that suaul practise?! I always figured the medical was a stand alone thing?! Best of luck with getting it sorted, those character references sound like a brillaint idea :)

they asked for his medical records because he admitted to having had cancer... which could work in his favour because that kinda shows that he wasnt deliberately trying to deceive them about anything... hopefully they will see it like that anyway lol

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Timeline

Ah, I see!! I'm sure it will go in his favour and if everything else appears in order plus with the character references I'm sure it'll be fine..

Thank you :) makes me happy to hear such kinda things from everyone! I

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.