Leatherneck

Jerry Brown signs ban on open-carry handguns

294 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yeah I know VT, in addition to AK, AZ and WY have no permit requirements for concealed carry and open carry is legal. Since the founding of California it was legal to open carry, until 1967 it was legal to carry a loaded firearm in public, the right to open carry unloaded handguns was rarely (if ever) exercised until a few years ago when 2nd Amendment groups started to do it. It was then after encounters (purposely) with law enforcement, county sheriff departments sent out memos explaining the open carry law.

I know you feel it is lame, but understand it was basically the only way many law-abiding gun owners could carry, unlike you there in VT., it was what they had, so that is what they did. The issue of CCW's is at the discrection of the county sheriff. Understand the CA. legislature is overwhelmingly populated with gun grabbers and until this state (miraculously) elects 2nd Amendement friendly politicians, it is a struggle. Now they wanna register long guns, which has not been done before.

As an example for you, I've included the Orange County Sheriff's Department Training Bulletin dated in 2002. Yeah, as recently as 02, many in law enforcement were not aware of the right to open carry.

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/carry/OCSD%20Training%20Bulletin.pdf

Your problems go farther back than this. It is time the gun owners of CA mount an effort to get concealed carry like other states have. There are a lot of you there, you can do it!

Wyoming has added Vermont style concealed carry. Good. That makes 4 states. If that seems like not many, in 1986 there were only 5 states that allowed non-discretionary concealed carry. There are now 41. When Obama was elected there was ONE state that allowed "constitutional carry"...no permits needed, Vermont. Now there are 4. Iowa ALMOST did it when they passed concealed carry last year. I am guessing they will soon. Once they see their crime rate drop they will want more of the good thing.

The trend is to reduced restriction in carrying firearms because it has been proven to reduce crime. California is an anomoly. Big suprise.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

That is true period in California.

I think I know where those replacement came from.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/sep/01/study-us-illegal-immigrant-population-drops-but/

California's illegal immigrant population remains steady

California’s estimated 2.55 million illegal immigrants accounted for 23 percent of the U.S. total and 6.9 percent of the state’s population, the Pew study said.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Timeline
Jerry Brown signs ban on open-carry handgun

Don't care. Only stupid people walk around brandishing an unloaded weapon.

I think I know where those replacement came from.

More Mexican restaurants. FTW!

Your problems go farther back than this. It is time the gun owners of CA mount an effort to get concealed carry like other states have. There are a lot of you there, you can do it!

Wyoming has added Vermont style concealed carry. Good. That makes 4 states. If that seems like not many, in 1986 there were only 5 states that allowed non-discretionary concealed carry. There are now 41. When Obama was elected there was ONE state that allowed "constitutional carry"...no permits needed, Vermont. Now there are 4. Iowa ALMOST did it when they passed concealed carry last year. I am guessing they will soon. Once they see their crime rate drop they will want more of the good thing.

The trend is to reduced restriction in carrying firearms because it has been proven to reduce crime. California is an anomoly. Big suprise.

Don't care. Only insecure people walk around with concealed weapons.

Timeline

I am insecure only if I don't walk around with a concealed weapon.

If you choose to believe otherwise...that is OK with me. You be secure, I'll be armed.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why pin this solely on Jerry Brown? He didn't author the bill. He only signed it into law. It passed overwhelmingly through the state legislature. Those are the guys you should be organizing a recall against.

Jerry Brown is the head of the snake, it is easier to take out 1 rather than any of the other 120.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

There are lots of gun owners here, but still out numbered the loony-left, those with little regard for the 2nd Amendment and those afraid of guns. Passing a right to concealed carry in California has about as much chance to pass as passing a law to take away guns in Texas...ain't gonna happen.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

Jerry Brown is the head of the snake, it is easier to take out 1 rather than any of the other 120.

The way the state is set up, the governor is doomed to failure. I like Jerry, not for being a hippy, which he is, but for thinking outside the box. Maybe he will get something done. He can't do any worse than his first tour of duty, when he spent most of his time jet setting with Linda Ronstadt, and rushing back to prevent his Lieutenant Governor Mike Curb from vetoing/approving legislation in his absence.

After taking office, Brown gained a reputation as a fiscal conservative.[12] The American Conservative later noted he was "much more of a fiscal conservative than Governor Reagan."[13] His fiscal restraint resulted in one of the biggest budget surpluses in state history, roughly $5 billion.[14][15]

This shows that either you should trust Jerry Brown, or not ever use Wikipedia as a resource.

Timeline

It is no more stupid for one to exercise his 2nd Amendment right as exercise his 1st amendment right.

Timeline

The way the state is set up, the governor is doomed to failure. I like Jerry, not for being a hippy, which he is, but for thinking outside the box. Maybe he will get something done. He can't do any worse than his first tour of duty, when he spent most of his time jet setting with Linda Ronstadt, and rushing back to prevent his Lieutenant Governor Mike Curb from vetoing/approving legislation in his absence.

This shows that either you should trust Jerry Brown, or not ever use Wikipedia as a resource.

Personally I like Jerry, and I'm afraid he will get something done also, things that will contract individual freedom, not expand it.

It is no more stupid for one to exercise his 2nd Amendment right as exercise his 1st amendment right.

I agree. Carrying an unloaded weapon for no reasonable purpose is a 1st amendment right, not a second amendment right.

Timeline

I agree. Carrying an unloaded weapon for no reasonable purpose is a 1st amendment right, not a second amendment right.

The really good thing about non-discretionary carry, or even better permitless carry as we have here and 3 other states, is that what you or anyone else thinks doesn't mean anything. :D

It is also the reason Vermont has no permit, even though some people have urged the legislature to create one so we would have a permit to be "reciprocal" in other states. The legislature has refused to place ANY possible restrctions on our rights and has taken the position that the other states should be like Vermont, not vice versa. I will give them that much.

THAT is how a RIGHT is supposed to work.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Bolsheviks like Comrade Crusty and Comrade Brown don't like legal gun owners having loaded guns. It's a control thing for them. Why make your own decisions when you have the Bolsheviks making them for you?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Bolsheviks like Comrade Crusty and Comrade Brown don't like legal gun owners having loaded guns. It's a control thing for them. Why make your own decisions when you have the Bolsheviks making them for you?

Obviously, you weren't paying attention. The "Open Carry" weapons are not loaded, which makes the issue totally stupid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Obviously, you weren't paying attention. The "Open Carry" weapons are not loaded, which makes the issue totally stupid.

perhaps, but to a cop that happens to see someone with one, it could get ugly quickly.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!