sean126

Ready to pull hair out!!!!! Need help with B2 for mother-in-law

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

The Vistor visa section says it's for non-family based discussions, so I put my question here.

I am a U.S. citizen. Wife came from Colombia with K1 , we married, she's now a U.S. citizen also.

Wife wants visa for mother...thinks mother is going to stay, wife is wrong on this count! LOL.

I figured I'd try for a vistor visa first, if that got denied then I would try with an Immigrant visa.

The guides are making me want to scream and pull my hair out! Please help me as it's very frustrating to me. There is no..."step 1 is this, step 2 is that" anywhere I've looked.

From what I gather...for a tourist visa from colombia I (her mother) need the following:

1. fill out the DS 160 from the embassy in Bogota website. Luckily they don't let you see the form before you fill it out or register, this would be too convenient I guess. I'm going to fill this out for her mother. Am I right in assuming that I need to register as her mother when the DS is filled out online?

2. At some point either I pay a fee on line when I fill out the DS 160 or her mother has to take the money to a bank and get a deposit slip. This is NOT clear to me. I assume the fee is $140.

3. She needs a passport from her country. She will need this BEFORE I fill out the DS 160

4. She needs a 2x2 photograph that I will have to upload on the DS 160 form someplace, I assume. She will also need this BEFORE I fill out the DS 160.

So far....that is all I can see that I need. I have not seen where I (my wife) need any I134 forms, no tax returns, no bank letters, no letters from employers from my wife's work, no letter of invitation to her mother. Arggghhhhh! I was told that I need these. Rather, my wife does. This is a HUGE pain to figure out. Can someone take a few minutes to help me please? I've been to the guide on her, to the U.S. embassy Colombia website, the State Dept. website, ect.....so directing me to one of these will not help me.

I am about ready to tell my wife that her mother will just have to swim here. its' not worth the aggravation of piecing together this puzzle.

Thanks.

Edited by sean126

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This State dept. page may be helpful to you re: DS-160 >>>> http://evisaforms.state.gov/

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The Vistor visa section says it's for non-family based discussions, so I put my question here.

I am a U.S. citizen. Wife came from Colombia with K1 , we married, she's now a U.S. citizen also.

Wife wants visa for mother...thinks mother is going to stay, wife is wrong on this count! LOL.

I figured I'd try for a vistor visa first, if that got denied then I would try with an Immigrant visa.

The guides are making me want to scream and pull my hair out! Please help me as it's very frustrating to me. There is no..."step 1 is this, step 2 is that" anywhere I've looked.

From what I gather...for a tourist visa from colombia I (her mother) need the following:

1. fill out the DS 160 from the embassy in Bogota website. Luckily they don't let you see the form before you fill it out or register, this would be too convenient I guess. I'm going to fill this out for her mother. Am I right in assuming that I need to register as her mother when the DS is filled out online?

2. At some point either I pay a fee on line when I fill out the DS 160 or her mother has to take the money to a bank and get a deposit slip. This is NOT clear to me. I assume the fee is $140.

3. She needs a passport from her country. She will need this BEFORE I fill out the DS 160

4. She needs a 2x2 photograph that I will have to upload on the DS 160 form someplace, I assume. She will also need this BEFORE I fill out the DS 160.

So far....that is all I can see that I need. I have not seen where I (my wife) need any I134 forms, no tax returns, no bank letters, no letters from employers from my wife's work, no letter of invitation to her mother. Arggghhhhh! I was told that I need these. Rather, my wife does. This is a HUGE pain to figure out. Can someone take a few minutes to help me please? I've been to the guide on her, to the U.S. embassy Colombia website, the State Dept. website, ect.....so directing me to one of these will not help me.

I am about ready to tell my wife that her mother will just have to swim here. its' not worth the aggravation of piecing together this puzzle.

Thanks.

I am sure you realize it is she that applys for the visa. You can do the paper work of course. Before you go too far you should look into the most important apescts of getting the visa approved.

She will have to prove beyond a doubt that she will return. This can be very difficult to do. She will have to comply with the strongest ties rule. She will have to offset the idea that she has family in America that will support her if she decided to stay. This is exactly why there is no need for a 134 ect.

Keep in mind all people with any visa are thought to be intending immigrants by USCIS.

Questions on electronic DS-160 are the questions from the formerly used form DS-156 - google it and you can find it online.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.