alex330

Useful items done in Ukraine before arrival?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are getting ready for our interview in Kiev Oct 7th. Is there anything we should do before my fiance arrives in the US that will help us through the process once she arrives?

Immunizations and several certified birth certificates with apostille have been recommended to us. Anything else you wish you had done while your fiance or spouse was still in the FSU before they arrived? Thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Get multiple copies of any official document or record that would be expensive, difficult, or impossible to get "remotely" from the U.S. -- not only birth certificates, but university or school transcripts, employment records, divorce certificates if applicable, and absolutely anything else that you can think of. It's great that this is on your mind while you still have time to react, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are getting ready for our interview in Kiev Oct 7th. Is there anything we should do before my fiance arrives in the US that will help us through the process once she arrives?

Immunizations and several certified birth certificates with apostille have been recommended to us. Anything else you wish you had done while your fiance or spouse was still in the FSU before they arrived? Thanks

Tanya has been here a year and hasn't needed any of this. Her UA passport has been accepted as proof of birth and citizenship. I did get her school transcript translated here in the US but it was done by an individual who spoke both languages and they just wrote an affirmation at the bottom and I had it notarized.. She now has a GC, SS card, Drivers license, State license for her profession, bank account etc. The immunization record will be written on the medical you will bring to the US so no need to have it translated, it will already be.

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

Have her get any medical treatment she needs. Believe it or not, the doctors are so much better there. (Or so I've been told.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Get multiple copies of any official document or record that would be expensive, difficult, or impossible to get "remotely" from the U.S. -- not only birth certificates, but university or school transcripts, employment records, divorce certificates if applicable, and absolutely anything else that you can think of. It's great that this is on your mind while you still have time to react, si man.

we have not needed multiple copies of anything... never needed employment records, transcripts if you want to continue your education or are in a licensed profession (ie like a pharmacist)

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Have her get any medical treatment she needs. Believe it or not, the doctors are so much better there. (Or so I've been told.)

Not always better (depends on a doctor, really), but always A LOT cheaper. Seeing a dentist, at least, is a good idea.

As for the university transcripts... I've been reading a lot about it... And as far as I understood, the supplement, which comes with the diploma (приложение к диплому) is usually enough - it has all the information on the disciplines studied. Also, if she wants to do the evaluation of her degree, she will need her Ukrainian high school diploma (аттестат) - sometimes people lose it, so it's better to make sure that she has it.

I had a couple of copies of my birth certificate translation signed and stamped by a professional translator. Also what I personally did was giving my mom a letter of attorney (генеральная доверенность), so she can do whatever on my behalf, including getting all kinds of paperwork done for me if I need something else, and selling my stuff (and that is why if your fiancee wants to do that, she should pick a person she can trust).

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

Nothing I "wish" I had done, because we did it. Get all, or as many, of her medical and dental records as possible. have them translated here later if necessary. Get all her school recordsa and transcripts back to high school, have them translated and evaluated here before or after she arrives (google "ECE")

Apostilles are really not needed in the US, but it doesn't hurt.

Look at it this way, if you were moving from New York to Texas, waht personal documents would you take with you? ALL OF THEM! It is much easier to order a copy of your transcripts from a school in New York if you live in Texas than if you live in the US and want them from Ukraine.

The one BIG mistake I made was involving things here. I had scrambled around getting Alla enrolled in school and even got her a private grant...woo hoo! She started school 5 days after arriving Me...BIG HERO! BUT I forget to figure out HOW she was going to get to school from our isolated island home when there are no busses and she can't drive! :bonk: So until I arranged other transport it caused quite a mess for me. we eventually worked out a transport plan amoung myself and several of our neighbors for a few months until she could get her drivers lisence. It also was difficult for her as she often had to leave long before her classes and be picked up long after. She was a regular at the library, lets put it that way.

Other than her brinong all her important life documents, you need to be preparing for things here. You are no longer visiting on vacation. You have to work, she has to get around, she doesn't speak English well and she has no friends here, it is ALL ON YOU! It does not work to take a woman that has had access transortation and has been able to function on her own, put her in a house and say "now, stay here, I am going to work" You will learn all sorts of things about FSU women that you don't need to know if you try that :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Not always better (depends on a doctor, really), but always A LOT cheaper. Seeing a dentist, at least, is a good idea.

As for the university transcripts... I've been reading a lot about it... And as far as I understood, the supplement, which comes with the diploma (приложение к диплому) is usually enough - it has all the information on the disciplines studied. Also, if she wants to do the evaluation of her degree, she will need her Ukrainian high school diploma (аттестат) - sometimes people lose it, so it's better to make sure that she has it.

I had a couple of copies of my birth certificate translation signed and stamped by a professional translator. Also what I personally did was giving my mom a letter of attorney (генеральная доверенность), so she can do whatever on my behalf, including getting all kinds of paperwork done for me if I need something else, and selling my stuff (and that is why if your fiancee wants to do that, she should pick a person she can trust).

Good advice. Alla still goes to the dentist in Ukraine! Her and the boys get all their dental work done there MUCH cheaper than here. We do not have dental insurance and we visit Ukraine at least once per year so they get it done then. In fact, it is so cheap, it is cheaper than paying for dental insurance here if I had access to it.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Tbone...sorry for the reference about New Yorkers moving to Texas. :whistle:

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Tbone...sorry for the reference about New Yorkers moving to Texas.
I'm not a NuhYawkuh... but, regardless, "Hey! Getchuh foot off my lip so I can spit in yuh face!"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

I'm not a NuhYawkuh... but, regardless, "Hey! Getchuh foot off my lip so I can spit in yuh face!"

I know you aen't, I meant about suggesting New Yorkers move there.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Aight, will have her bring originals and copies of everything important. Gonna do all the shots in Kiev at her medical. Thanks all ;)

I agree on the dental, the US is crazy if you need any work done. We take a jaunt down to Costa Rica to get dental done.

Less money and nice little vacation at the same time.

Timeline

Aight, will have her bring originals and copies of everything important. Gonna do all the shots in Kiev at her medical. Thanks all ;)

I agree on the dental, the US is crazy if you need any work done. We take a jaunt down to Costa Rica to get dental done.

Less money and nice little vacation at the same time.

I never thought of that! Alla has been wanting to visit Central or South America. :yes:

Gary And Alla

Tbone...sorry for the reference about New Yorkers moving to Texas. :whistle:

I also moved from Brooklyn, New York to Texas. Well....my parents moved and I was forced to follow. :bonk:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.