Twinkles

Refused a SSN

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have an EAD card.

On the 27th July i applied in person for a SSN at our local SS office.

I was given a reference number. Went home, sat like a fudge for a month.

....Nothing arrived.

Few days ago we contacted the local SS office. To be told that they cant issue me with a SSN number.

They said they had spoken to Immigration on the 24th August...What about? *shrugs* no idea.

Long story short, we are being given the runaround. No matter what we have tried the answer is still the same.

In person or calling by telephone or sending an online question to them...results in zip, nada, nuthn to me being any closer to being given a social security number.

Is this some sort of secret organisation, where i have to say a magic word?!

I wont go into the full story, but alot is at stake here. So i would appreciate some insight.

I-129F Sent : 2009-10-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-10-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-20

Packet 3 Received : 2010-02-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-05-20

Packet 4 Received : 2010-06-23

Booked into Norman Bates Hotel: 2010-07-29

Medical : 2010-07-29 (4 letters issued >.<)

Interview Date : 2010-07-30 (pending medical results)

Email from Embassy: 2010-10-22 They confirm they have medical results, we are under final review.

Courier website : 2010-11-2 shows packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval! Or is it??! argh the suspense!

Visa Delivered <3 : 2010-11-3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! *cup of tea to celebrate*

US Entry (Dulles) : 2011-2-27 Hot Tomales time <3

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What is your current immigration status?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

What is the question? Insight on why you can't get a SS number. You just said there was alot of insight, but you wasn't going to tell.

What is the question? Insight on why you can't get a SS number. You just said there was alot of insight, but you wasn't going to tell.

What is your current immigration status?

We are currently doing the AOS process. Had my EAD issued and our AOS is in *initial review*

All we were told a few days ago, is that the social security office had spoken to immigration on the 24th August.

The social security office said they were unable at this time to give a SSN number..

I said

"I wont go into the full story, but alot is at stake here. So i would appreciate some insight."

Nothing untoward about immigration or anything like that. I hope i did not give that impression.

By alot is at stake here meaning...I was very fortunate a good few weeks ago and have been offered a brilliant job.

Due to the nature of the work i have to be background checked and other checks need to be made.

Its a job where they cant wait indeffinately for me. They need my Social security number.

I have managed today, to get them to hold off for the rest of this week for me...I cant say the job will still be on offer next week. So time is very much of the essence here.

Also its imperative i get this sorted asap for my health. I suffer from a couple of rare conditions. We couldnt get med insurance for me, not until i start work.

So my predicament is...no number...no work...no wages...no medical treatment....Prognosis pretty blood poor. I be damned if im going to become a public charge.

I hope that clears up any confusion for you

Email from Embassy: 2010-10-22 They confirm they have medical results, we are under final review.

Courier website : 2010-11-2 shows packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval! Or is it??! argh the suspense!

Visa Delivered <3 : 2010-11-3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! *cup of tea to celebrate*

AOS from what type of visa?

From the signature, it appears from a K-1 visa. However, the type of visa entered on shouldn't matter now, because the OP has been issued an EAD and has it in hand. An EAD holder is authorized for a SSN.

I have tried to help in another thread, but I don't know how to fix the problem, and cannot see where things could go wrong. I have advised a manager, a different SS office, and making sure that the person is not trying to input as a K-1 visa holder (because the I-94 is expired now and she should be processed as an EAD holder) but it hasn't seemed to work. I advised the OP to post here, to see if someone can see where things might be going off track, or could post SS regulations for her, or can ask the right questions to find the missing piece of the puzzle.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I posted this in the other thread, so I'll post it here again.

Without looking at the application and the immigration verification responses it's hard to know what is the problem. The verification process has three steps. An initial that they do while you are in the office. If that's no good they send a secondary electronic verification request. That takes normally no more than a week to send SSA a response. If the response is that immigration needs to see the document, a photo copy of the front and back of the immigration document is mailed to the verification office with Form G-845. It used to be that the SSA office had to wait for the G-845 to be mailed back, but now once immigration processes the G-845, the SSA office gets a third level electronic verification response. If the G-845 made it there and immigration responds, that should take a month at the most. The problem can be that the second and third level responses have to be pulled into the SSN application system by the SSA office and sometimes they don't do it right away. I would ask them at what level of the verification process they are at and have they received a response and does it require them going to the next step.

Edited by I Quit

Does the correct spelling of name match in all 3 places, i.e EAD card, SS input, and immigration office?

If you are talking about for an SSN application, SSA uses the name on the EAD card for the application and that's the name they use for immigration status verification. SSA will accept it as a match if immigration status verifies and one letter of the name is different from the EAD card. For example: EAD card Bob Smith and verification response Bod Smith

Edited by I Quit

Without looking at the application and the immigration verification responses it's hard to know what is the problem. The verification process has three steps. An initial that they do while you are in the office. If that's no good they send a secondary electronic verification request. That takes normally no more than a week to send SSA a response. If the response is that immigration needs to see the document, a photo copy of the front and back of the immigration document is mailed to the verification office with Form G-845. It used to be that the SSA office had to wait for the G-845 to be mailed back, but now once immigration processes the G-845, the SSA office gets a third level electronic verification response. If the G-845 made it there and immigration responds, that should take a month at the most. The problem can be that the second and third level responses have to be pulled into the SSN application system by the SSA office and sometimes they don't do it right away. I would ask them at what level of the verification process they are at and have they received a response and does it require them going to the next step.

I attempted to contact the SSA again yesterday. This morning a new email arrived.

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration regarding the status of your Social Security number application.

On 08/31/2011, we contacted the Manassas, VA Social Security office regarding the status of your Social Security number application. The office is in the process of verifying your immigration status. We will contact you once there has been any change in the status of your application.

We apologize for any inconvenience the delay in processing your application has caused.

So as you can see *sighs* 5 weeks on. Im unfortunately none the wiser and they just keep saying the same ole thing.

Plan is to now go in person tomorrow. Thx for the feedback IQuit. Will hopefully have better news tomorrow.

Weird, i just noticed another thread in this section, where a couple were having SSN issues. The office dealing with them...Manassas! L0L

Does the correct spelling of name match in all 3 places, i.e EAD card, SS input, and immigration office?

Yes all are in my married name....When i applied for the SSN, i had to show our marriage certificate.

Edited by Twinkles

I took the liberty of hitting reply to that last email i got this morning.

Heck i had nothing to lose. I expected it to come back as not delivered...but it did deliver and a few hours later i just got a reply. My question was simple. I asked them at what stage was i at!

Here is what they have just sent to me...

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration regarding the status of your Social Security number application.

Up until today the office had only submitted an initial verification request, but after we contacted the Regional Office, the Manassas office submitted an additional electronic verification request. We will continue to monitor your application, and if necessary, we will again contact the Manassas office.

In to the 6th week now. We decided to visit the local SSA office again.

I took my SSA application receipt and all my other documents with me.

Spoke to a gentleman, he asked for my EAD card, checked the computer....Still not verified :(

45 minutes we spent standing at this guys window. I explained my work and health situation. He contacted DHS infront of us and chased the application.

At first i heard, "you cant see her on the system?" and my heart sank. I just thought oh **** they have no record of me and im standing here with what they probably think is a fake freaking EAD card!! *deep breathes*

The guy continued on with the call getting them to go over the case from top to bottom.

Finally he smiled at me and said "i got somewhere" yea?! where? plx tell us lol!

He has gave me another reciept with todays date on, that i can show my new future employer. Just to prove im not lying about the delay in my SSA number. He has also said if i return to that office tomorrow, im 99% likely to be given my number.

The only way no number will be given tomorrow. is if theres someone with the same name, born around the same time as me.

Fingers are firmly crossed that this is finally the end of it. Or so help me...shoot me now.

He has gave me another reciept with todays date on, that i can show my new future employer. Just to prove im not lying about the delay in my SSA number. He has also said if i return to that office tomorrow, im 99% likely to be given my number.

The only way no number will be given tomorrow. is if theres someone with the same name, born around the same time as me.

Fingers are firmly crossed that this is finally the end of it. Or so help me...shoot me now.

Sounds like you should have an SSN tomorrow. As they said there is always the possibility of an alert due to your info matching someone that already has a number, but that would only delay things another day or two if they made sure right away you weren't the same person. Since someone is watching what the local office is doing, I wouldn't worry.

Filed: Other Timeline

Try to get that same guy again. Since 90% of the SSA employees are incompetent in even doing their own job, you need to embrace that you found one that stands out among his peers like a lighthouse in the desert.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.