lquin

Quick Question..

9 posts in this topic

Can a US citizen enter the UK on a marriage visa, get married to a UKC and then both of them return to the US, and once inside the US (on visitor visa) file to adjust the UKC's status to permanent resident ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No, you cannot do that.

To bring a spouse into the U.S., you will have to file for a spousal visa. Read the "Guides" section here on VJ for how the process works to do that.

Good luck.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

No, you cannot do that.

To bring a spouse into the U.S., you will have to file for a spousal visa. Read the "Guides" section here on VJ for how the process works to do that.

Good luck.

Its not for me, I heard somebody else asking if they could do it.. im sure I have read other posts where people have done this.

It's not legal under US immigration laws, but people have done it. People enter the US and then get married and adjust status. It sets you up for a denial of status if USCIS suspects you tried to evade immigration laws.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Timeline
It's not legal under US immigration laws, but people have done it. People enter the US and then get married and adjust status. It sets you up for a denial of status if USCIS suspects you tried to evade immigration laws.

It's a whole different ballgame than your reply.

The OP is asking if you can marry in the UK & enter the US fradulently as a (married) visitor with intent to stay. I doubt they would let you in if they knew you were married & without a visa and don't think you could stay if they found out...deportation...

Edited by devilette

The OP is asking if you can marry in the UK & enter the US fradulently as a (married) visitor with intent to stay. I doubt they would let you in if they knew you were married & without a visa and don't think you could stay if they found out...deportation...

Thankyou for all your replies... Like I said it wasnt for me, as I have applied for my CR-1 as you can see.. I just heard somebody saying that you can do this, and I just wanted people to confirm that you cant !!

Thanks one and all :D

Thankyou for all your replies... Like I said it wasnt for me, as I have applied for my CR-1 as you can see.. I just heard somebody saying that you can do this, and I just wanted people to confirm that you cant !!

Thanks one and all :D

Can't is not exactly true. If one is granted entry/inspected at POE then one can apply to adjust status. Whether one is approved or not is dependant on circumstances and one should seek legal advice to discuss particulars of their case.

Something of interest from the US consulate in australia website (the link is also in VJ FAQ) and is in line with eligibility on the USCIS website.

11. (Q) MY LAWYER IN THE U.S. HAS TOLD ME TO APPLY FOR A TOURIST VISA, AND THEN APPLY FOR IMMIGRATION OR ADJUST MY STATUS AFTER I ARRIVE. CAN I DO THAT?

(A) Generally not. Many categories of immigrant visas involve long waiting periods before the visa can be issued. It is generally not possible to spend this period in the U.S.

If you intend to remain permanently in the U.S., attempting to enter on a nonimmigrant visa or under the visa waiver program is not advisable and could result in your involuntary return to Australia. In order to be granted admission on a nonimmigrant visa or under the visa waiver program, you must prove that you have a residence outside the U.S. to which you intend to return, at least temporarily. It is at the discretion of U.S.C.I.S. at the port of entry whether to admit a traveler in that case.

If you are granted entry you can make an application to U.S.C.I.S. for an adjustment of status. If your application is approved, U.S.C.I.S. will give you permission to remain in the U.S. whilst you conclude processing your adjustment of status application. If they reject your application, you will be required to depart the U.S. and apply for an immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

The same answer is given for the following question

12. (Q) CAN I ENTER THE U.S. AND WAIT WHILE THE VISA IS BEING PROCESSED?

source

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.