Cam

Question

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
One last thing... have your girl exchange the money for you. When the fat old lady with the mole on her lip tells you that the small rip in your $50 bill is going to cost you $30, you'll just nod and say "OK. Spaaseeeva balshoooeeeea." (and that's how it'll sound to her.) But your girl will say (in that sexy Russian pissed off girl voice (that is so common when dealing with "customer servants" in Russia)) "No. You will give us the full $45 back."
Slim is starting to understand the power your ladies have in Russia to get things done without you getting ripped off. Just imagine how much you would save if you let your ladies handle all of your transactions in Russia from buying fresh meat to renting an apartment!

Filed: Timeline
Funny that this subject is going on now. I was just in Russia a few weeks ago and got questioned heavliy about the 100's that I had. One place refused them. Then we had to go to a government bank. You can't miss them they have the Green signs. They did exchange them but not before some serious scrutiny. You can also order from your bank Rubles. I did this on my second trip to Russia. Not sure why I didn't do it the 3rd and 4th time (no one has ever said I was smart). Make sure you get the best 100's before you go there. And using the ATM as well works. Good luck

What US bank orders rubles for you?

Timeline
What US bank orders rubles for you?
I wonder too, similarily, what airport in the USA has rubles at the currency exchange? I can attest to no rubles in SFO or LAX, but I was just looking. And has anyone encountered the newly released 5000 ruble note?

http://english.newslab.ru/news/197451

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
New $20's won't work?
I took only $20s (about $500 cash), and my ATM and credit cards. This worked best for me, going to Volgograd and Moscow. I don't like flashing $100s, even if it is only at the exchange office.

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey Cam. I dont know when your leaving but if you happen to have Bank Of America you can get it in one week like I did. Not sure about Chase because I haven't had to buy any from them yet. Just talk to your bank that you use. Have an awesome trip.

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

Hey Cam. I dont know when your leaving but if you happen to have Bank Of America you can get it in one week like I did. Not sure about Chase because I haven't had to buy any from them yet. Just talk to your bank that you use. Have an awesome trip.

Cool, I'm leaving Oct. 4. Try to get to Bank of America tomorrow or Thursday. My bank is Wells Fargo I'll try them first.

Thanks

Timeline

What kind of exchange rate will a local bank in the US give? I'm guessing it's not going to be any better than even the rate at the airport.

And now due to the weak dollar/strong ruble the rate is about 26.7 to the dollar.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

What kind of exchange rate will a local bank in the US give? I'm guessing it's not going to be any better than even the rate at the airport.

And now due to the weak dollar/strong ruble the rate is about 26.7 to the dollar.

Not much I can do about weak dollar and strong ruble. But this way I won't get charged for a wrinkle in my bills.

Timeline

Just curious about the rate thru a US bank versus the going rate in Russia. Got to believe it won't be very good. I screened my bills carefully before traveling and didn't have much trouble.

Another point about the cost of visiting Russia. Since last year with about a 10 percent decrease in the exchange rate and 9 percent Russian inflation it costs a fair amount more for time spent visiting.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Terminal E at the airport in Atlanta usually has rubles, but they keep them in the back office rather than out front; so you have to ask a manager instead of the window clerks. When I went through there last month, you could buy rubles at 23.5 to $1; and the going rate in Moscow was 26.5 to $1. <-- That's a difference of about 11.5%.

from Andrew

I did the BofA exchange before I left but my saving account, which I used to save for my trip, is with Bank of America, I think I got around 28р to $1, in March.

If they ask how you want it, tray not to get too many 1000р! They asked me if I wanted a mix but it was VERY difficult (and not very wise) to try to "break" a 1000р! Hindsight is 20/20! :(

If/when I go again, I'll be doing the "search for the newest $100 bill" route.

I left the USA with about $40 and 33,000р! Again hindsight says that was WAY too much! :lol::yes:

in Korea, I was a little hungry so I had to exchane some of that to Korean Won IN THE AIRPORT, that exchange was around 900 to $1, the approximate exchange for that is 1000 - $1. Even if I wasn't hungry the internet machines worked on Won ONLY so....I was kind of stuck, and $0.50/3 minutes, I did leave with some interesting suveniers (Won, Roubles, and the teeny Kopeks ;) )

Edited by Marc and Olga

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

I still say that getting some Euros is a good way to go too. If you have a layover somewhere (in Europe) Euros will get you on the internet or a nice tasty sandwich. And since you're going to Russia, you better get a beer or two to get you started.

When you get Roubles, get them in 100P notes. They're easier to spend, and you can carry a lot of them with no problems.

If you're going to Korea..... be sure to get some bulgogi, some kim-bap and some soju. I don't care what the exchange rate is... it's worth it! (Getting 900 won for $1 is a rip! I can't believe how much the dollar has fallen now. When I was there in 99 it was almost 1300 won/dollar.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

33,000 rubles! Wow.

My last trip I had 200 bucks in my pocket and my atm cards.

That's it. I would never use taxi's there, too risky and too much $$$. Buses and mini-buses always.

Btw, Wachovia also does Russian currency exchange.

Yes Red Foreman, call me a dumbass

33,000 rubles! Wow.

My last trip I had 200 bucks in my pocket and my atm cards.

That's it. I would never use taxi's there, too risky and too much $$$. Buses and mini-buses always.

Btw, Wachovia also does Russian currency exchange.

Don't know where a Wachovia is around here. Went to Wells Fargo they gave me a phone number to call. So I just asked for a few brand new $100's and some new $20's You would think a bank would have tons of new bills, you would be wrong. She kept handing me bills, I kept handing them back. So I got a few good bills and will take my ATM card. :dance::dance:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

All:

There are two kinds of currency - convertible and not convertible. This refers to how well they are accepted outside of their country. The US dollar is the most convertible currency on the planet. Other convertible currencies include the Euro, British Pound, and others. Exchange rates for such currencies vary, but not to extremes, and are generally somewhere in the neighborhood of published rates and generally acceptable values.

Non-convertible currencies are generally not too well accepted outside of their home countries (expensive money changer services aside) and the rates you get will vary wildly. Generally speaking, the rule here is that the further away you are from the country, the worse the rate is. As an example, when I was in Kenya, the going rate for the Tanzanian Shilling was about 50% of face value - and that is right next door!!

In short, get your rubles close to their home (i.e. Russia) and save some money - more or less.

Good luck!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.