Cam

Question

30 posts in this topic

Suggestion to avoid taking a large sum and convert in bank...

Stop by a Bankomat (ATM) with a VISA logo on it to get money from your regular checking account. I did this my second trip and it was very easy and convienent!

Do these money exchange places take debit or credit cards? Don't really want to carry a bunch of money to Russia. Leaving October 4.

09-Mar-06: Visit Tatiana in Omsk

13-Mar-06: Propose to Tatiana, she says yes! :)

11-Apr-06: Send I129F

18-Apr-06: NOA1

01-Jun-06: Transferred from Nebraska to California

15-Jun-06: Visit Tatiana and Celebration in Omsk

03-Jul-06: Receive IMBRA RFE

05-Jul-06: Return IMBRA RFE

11-Jul-06: RFE accepted email

31-Jul-06: APPROVED NOA2!!!

07-Aug-06: Touched (Send to NVC touch?)

10-Aug-06: NVC received

16-Aug-06: NVC letter sent

21-Aug-06: NVC sent to Moscow

23-Aug-06: DHL delivers to embassy

12-Sep-06: Rcvd Packet from embassy

25-Oct-06: Interview at embassy - VISA APPROVED!!!

03-Nov-06: Reunited again in Detroit!

25-Nov-06: Married =)

04-Dec-06: Filed AOS

07-Dec-06: NOA1

26-Dec-06: Biometrics

19-Dec-06: RFE requested

26-Dec-06: Received RFE

27-Dec-06: Sent back RFE

03-Jan-07: Email of RFE acceptance

06-Mar-07: Interview - 'Green cards should arrive 1 to 2 weeks in mail' =)

09-Mar-07: Received welcome emails

10-Mar-07: Received K2 welcome letter

12-Mar-07: Received K1 welcome letter

15-Mar-07: Greencards arrive!

Filed: Timeline
Suggestion to avoid taking a large sum and convert in bank...

Stop by a Bankomat (ATM) with a VISA logo on it to get money from your regular checking account. I did this my second trip and it was very easy and convienent!

Do these money exchange places take debit or credit cards? Don't really want to carry a bunch of money to Russia. Leaving October 4.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Typically no - and you wouldn't want to do it that way anyway since with a credit card, it would be a cash advance.

Better to just take your ATM card to the ATM. It will dispense cash in local currency.

By the way, this topic is covered in the Lonely Planet guide I recommended....

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

But make sure you call and tell your bank and credit card companies you will be using your card in Russia. Many institutions will shut off the card if they don't know if it is really you using the card.....and then you are screwed. Happened with my ATM card. Lucky I had cash and didn't really need to use the card.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think you would pretty much get screwed (with fees) using a bank card at a money exchange. And don’t exchange money at any airports (even in the U.S.).

Your best bet is to take some cash with you, along with an ATM card. I use my bank checking (debit) card with a Visa logo when I’m in Russia, and I have never had a problem with it. The ATM fees have always been $2 per transaction. The best way to pay for things is with cash.

The U.S. currency I carry to Russia usually makes the return trip home with me. I make some purchases with my bank card (using it as a Visa Card), and I have never had a problem with over-charges.

If you’re holding many rubles before you leave Russia, try to get rid of them before you arrive at the airport when you’re returning home.

Lastly, protect your wallet and passport.

from Andrew

Did anyone else making a currency exchange get shown every little speck on their money, and come to learn that you were geting about a 6% exchange penalty for worn notes? Natasha warned me in advance, so I went to my bank and told them I needed good bills for exchange in Russia..

Well, what our bank considers good, and the Russian banks seems to be 2 different things. :wacko: Fortunately, I had my debit card, and was able to easily get the rest of my rubles from the ATMs there, and kept my dollars for when I returned.

========================

8/10/2006- NOA1 Receipt Date

8/17/2006- Touched

10/2/2006- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/17/2006- Case at NVC, MOS# assigned

10/25/2006- Case sent to Moscow, it's on the way!!!!!

11/06/2006- Case arrived at Moscow!!!

01/17/2007- Interview Date Scheduled!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Did anyone else making a currency exchange get shown every little speck on their money, and come to learn that you were geting about a 6% exchange penalty for worn notes? Natasha warned me in advance, so I went to my bank and told them I needed good bills for exchange in Russia..

Well, what our bank considers good, and the Russian banks seems to be 2 different things. :wacko: Fortunately, I had my debit card, and was able to easily get the rest of my rubles from the ATMs there, and kept my dollars for when I returned.

Good point!

Yes, I agree. If taking cash into Russia, you should take clean and crisp $100 bills.

There are some places that will exchange those bills that we too would consider good, for the going rate; however, not everyone knows, in advance, where these places are located.

from Andrew

Good point!

Yes, I agree. If taking cash into Russia, you should take clean and crisp $100 bills.

There are some places that will exchange those bills that we too would consider good, for the going rate; however, not everyone knows, in advance, where these places are located.

I actually went into my bank and made them pull out lots of $100's and selected the ones I thought would work.

"BIG head" presidents only, NO rips, no tears, no ink, no markings.

If the bill has any of those, you might get it "discounted" in Russia. IF they'd even change it for you, which they might not...

Etta Rossiya...

And be prepared, that if you cash, say, $100, that's now about 2,800 Rubles, so suddenly you have a LOT more bills to carry around... but that can last you a long time in Russia... depending of course, on where you go...

-- Dan

Edited by PurrSuede

Good point!

I actually went into my bank and made them pull out lots of $100's and selected the ones I thought would work.

"BIG head" presidents only, NO rips, no tears, no ink, no markings.

If the bill has any of those, you might get it "discounted" in Russia. IF they'd even change it for you, which they might not...

Etta Rossiya...

And be prepared, that if you cash, say, $100, that's now about 2,800 Rubles, so suddenly you have a LOT more bills to carry around... but that can last you a long time in Russia... depending of course, on where you go...

-- Dan

New $20's won't work?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

This isn't limited to Russia - it is overseas in general. In Egypt, I couldn't even get rid of a lousy $5 bill because it had a red spot on it. In Tanzania, no one would take a mint-condition $100 bill because it was "old style". Having had these experiences, I was ready for Russia when I went there the first time.

Last time I went to Russia, I had $2K in cash (I had some other places to go besides Russia). Before I left, I went to the bank and made them pick out only the newest-style $100 bills, only the mint, perfect condition ones. Make them take as long as it takes, do not accept anything less. If they can't come up with another bank, take what they have and go to another bank to get the rest of what you need.

Keep in mind that the ATM will most likely charge you a fee, and your own bank will likely charge you a regular fee plus an international transaction fee.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Funny that this subject is going on now. I was just in Russia a few weeks ago and got questioned heavliy about the 100's that I had. One place refused them. Then we had to go to a government bank. You can't miss them they have the Green signs. They did exchange them but not before some serious scrutiny. You can also order from your bank Rubles. I did this on my second trip to Russia. Not sure why I didn't do it the 3rd and 4th time (no one has ever said I was smart). Make sure you get the best 100's before you go there. And using the ATM as well works. Good luck

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I took cash and a money belt. The part of Russia I was in was mostly cash and people fround at you when you pulled out a credit card. Anna told me that cash was prefered.

I wanted to use my credit card to have one more piece of evidence that I was there and finally got to use it in Moscow. I did find an ATM that took my debit card and the fees were not killer as a matter of fact I sent Anna a debit card and she has used it a couple of times and the fee was 1%. About the cheapest way in my opinion.

I took what I thought were clean crips notes and did have a few that were labeled damaged but to be honest the difference was not that much so I didn't really care. My hundreds were never labled damaged it was the 20's and 10's I took. If I were going to do it again I would take all crisp new 100's.

Paul misses Anna

Edited by mrsushi66

I was scared I wasn't going to be able to find a place to exchange any cash upon arrival, so I, like a dumbass, exchanged the money at the airport prior to my departure. My friend and I exchanged about $3,500 into Euros (also a good option to take to Russia... not quite as suspect as USD and widely used as well. All three currencies; USD, Euro, Rouble, are almost interchangeable in Moscow.) and got HOSED!!!! We lost something like 30% more than we would've if we had just waited until our arrival. There were money exchanges everywhere.

Since you're not going to Moscow (or not staying there) I would take some cash, the ATM card (which might incur up to a 6% fee, or nothing) and some Euros. That way you can't go wrong. Before you depart the U.S., exchange some USD (like $50, max $100) into Euros and Roubles, that way you're not strapped when you get there, and upon arrival, pull money out of the ATM in the locally preferred currency. (Sometimes the Rouble sucks, and USD is preferred. The USD sucks lately, so Euros may be the way to go.)

One last thing... have your girl exchange the money for you. When the fat old lady with the mole on her lip tells you that the small rip in your $50 bill is going to cost you $30, you'll just nod and say "OK. Spaaseeeva balshoooeeeea." (and that's how it'll sound to her.) But your girl will say (in that sexy Russian pissed off girl voice (that is so common when dealing with "customer servants" in Russia)) "No. You will give us the full $45 back."

It's Russia, so be flexible, and be willing to spend all your money. It's crazy though, sometimes you'll go out all day and not spend a dime, other times you'll go out expecting to spend nothing and come back broke. The main thing... HAVE FUN!!!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.