Black Velvet

US Citizen wants to bring brother to US

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My friend seems to swear that she can file AOS while her brother is here on a B2 visa. I told her that it typically takes around 10 years. Plus, siblings are not considered immediate relatives. Therefore, her sibling has to wait for a visa to become available. What are the rules?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My friend seems to swear that she can file AOS while her brother is here on a B2 visa. I told her that it typically takes around 10 years. Plus, siblings are not considered immediate relatives. Therefore, her sibling has to wait for a visa to become available. What are the rules?

As far as I am aware, brother cannot file for AOS after entering on B1/2, someone can correct me if I am wrong.

If that was possible no one would be waiting in line, everyone would enter on B1/2 and file for AOS.

Absolutely not possible to AOS someone's brother who came in on B1/B2. For starters, there is a 10+ year wait on the iimigrant visa number to become available.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Absolutely not unless his Priority Date is current and he had no intent to immigrate when he entered the US on the B2 visa. It takes about 10 years for the PD to be current for siblings after the I-130 is filed - longer for certain countries.

If your friend files the I-130 and I-485 concurrently, the adjustment of status will be denied because his PD will not be current. It will be a lost of money and time. In addition, this could complicate any future attempt to visit the US since he clearly has immigration intent based on the filed I-485. This could also be viewed as immigration fraud since he could be considered to have the intent to immigrate when he entered on the B2 visa.

Tell your friend NOT to go through with her plan. There is no chance of success and it can only cause problems.

Absolutely not unless his Priority Date is current and he had no intent to immigrate when he entered the US on the B2 visa. It takes about 10 years for the PD to be current for siblings after the I-130 is filed - longer for certain countries.

If your friend files the I-130 and I-485 concurrently, the adjustment of status will be denied because his PD will not be current. It will be a lost of money and time. In addition, this could complicate any future attempt to visit the US since he clearly has immigration intent based on the filed I-485. This could also be viewed as immigration fraud since he could be considered to have the intent to immigrate when he entered on the B2 visa.

Tell your friend NOT to go through with her plan. There is no chance of success and it can only cause problems.

Thanks JoJO!

Filed: Other Timeline

Your friend can file an I-130 for her brother immediately. Once approved, a priority date is assigned and locked in. The brother's preference category is F4.

Currently, they are working on petitions dating from May 15, 1988 (Philippines) to March 8, 2000 (best case scenario). In plain English, the waiting time is anywhere between 5 months for the I-130 plus 11 years all the way up to 5 months for the I-130 plus 22 years and 3 months.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5489.html

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Only if her brother happens to marry a US citizen while he's here... :whistle:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.