mobob

Application feea AND a visa fee

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm getting married next month in Ukraine, then returning to start the K3/K4 process. After reading the reviews of the embassy in Kyiv, I see a person paid a $350 visa fee after her interview. Am I getting this right? I pay the application fees, and then my spouse has to pay a visa fee at the embassy? After paying the medical exam fee? ARG.

Thanks for any clarifications.

Timeline

Good grief! I read somewhere else that if I (the petitioner) pays the nvc fee, my spouse won't have to pay a visa fee. Information overload. Sorry folks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, there is a fee for the petition, and an additional fee for the visa, medical, criminal records, and translations if needed. We are filing K1 wich you have to pay those fees in addition to almost $1100 to adjust status. But I think you dont have to pay that one if your already married.

-Bonnie

:dance:

Edited by Bonnie_n_Clyde

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm getting married next month in Ukraine, then returning to start the K3/K4 process. After reading the reviews of the embassy in Kyiv, I see a person paid a $350 visa fee after her interview. Am I getting this right? I pay the application fees, and then my spouse has to pay a visa fee at the embassy? After paying the medical exam fee? ARG.

Thanks for any clarifications.

Here is an outline of the government fees and approximately when they will be paid. Whatever you are reading that gives you the impression that K3 and/or K4 visas are actually available is out of date. Think in terms of the CR1 visa. Click on the word "Guides" at the top of any page here. If there is a stepchild, they'll need their own petition so all the fees are paid for each person except the $88 one.

When Paid

Agency and Purpose

Amount

Month 1 Dept. of Homeland Security, USCIS - Petition Filing Fee $420.00

Month 4-6 Dept. of State Affidavit of Support Processing Fee $88.00

Month 5-7 Dept. of State Immigrant Visa Application Fee $404.00

Month 28-32 *Homeland Security, USCIS Removal of Conditions Fee $590 .00

Total Immigration Fees To Permanent Resident Status $1,502.00

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Falling in love with a foreign national gets expensive. In addition to pushbrk's list, the next step is citizenship fees. Not too mention all the plane tickets. :yes:

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

10/20/14...N-400 mailed to Phoenix
--/--/14.. N-400 packet received
--/--/14... Check cashed
--/--/14... NOA1 received (Priority Date 10/10/14)
---/---/14... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for --/--/14)
---/---/14... Early walk-in for Biometrics (Tampa FL)
---/---/14... In line for interview
---/---/14... Interview completed
---/---/14... Oath letter received
---/---/14... Oath Ceremony!

Timeline

pushbrk, Hmmm. I was under the impression from reading on this forum and the guides that if I apply for a K3 for my wife the K4 is automatic, since my stepson would be listed on the K3. Appears I've misunderstood the process. Now reading it again, for the 20th time or so, and from what you've indicated, I see I must complete an I-130 for each person. I presume then, that I'll need to include my information in each package (birth certificate, divorce decrees, financials). And pay a fee for each? And then they'll each pay a visa fee? Plus the medical exams and police clearance? Does USCIS keep the applications together so they'll be processed together? Do each of them, wife and stepson (a minor), have to go to an interview, or just the wife? I have read through the website many times, but evidently it hasn't all sunk in yet. Looking at the step by step guide, I don't see where it says in the cover letter to say I'm applying for a CR1/IR1 Visa. I presume I put that in place of the K3/K4. Am I getting close? I do see that the CR1/IR1 gives them immediate work status, as soon as the green card arrives. And getting a social secuirty number, as well. What about the I-129F? If I'm following this right, the I-129F is not a part of CR1/IR1 process. It's starting to sink in, but I'm still overwhelmed. Tnx.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

pushbrk, Hmmm. I was under the impression from reading on this forum and the guides that if I apply for a K3 for my wife the K4 is automatic, since my stepson would be listed on the K3. Appears I've misunderstood the process. Now reading it again, for the 20th time or so, and from what you've indicated, I see I must complete an I-130 for each person. I presume then, that I'll need to include my information in each package (birth certificate, divorce decrees, financials). And pay a fee for each? And then they'll each pay a visa fee? Plus the medical exams and police clearance? Does USCIS keep the applications together so they'll be processed together? Do each of them, wife and stepson (a minor), have to go to an interview, or just the wife? I have read through the website many times, but evidently it hasn't all sunk in yet. Looking at the step by step guide, I don't see where it says in the cover letter to say I'm applying for a CR1/IR1 Visa. I presume I put that in place of the K3/K4. Am I getting close? I do see that the CR1/IR1 gives them immediate work status, as soon as the green card arrives. And getting a social secuirty number, as well. What about the I-129F? If I'm following this right, the I-129F is not a part of CR1/IR1 process. It's starting to sink in, but I'm still overwhelmed. Tnx.

You (The US Citizen) are not and will never apply for a visa. You file petitions and when the petitions are approved the beneficiaries can apply for immigrant visa. The Consulate will issue the applicable visa. The currently available visas applicable to your situation are the CR1 for spouse and CR2 for stepchild. Just disregard all references to K visas. They simply are NOT available and back when they were, the fees from filing to green card were significantly higher.

The I-129F is not part of the immigrant visa process for a spouse or stepchild. Disregard it.

Treat the two I-130 petitions as if they stand alone with their own documentation, then file them together in the same package with separate checks and separate cover letters.

I suggest you ask your remaining questions in the CR1 forum. Plenty of help there for remaining questions after careful study of the Guides and form instructions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.