31 posts in this topic

Now how big of a deal is the money? I've been having trouble finding work for 6 months so haven't had much money but recently found 2 jobs so I'm working both to get some money together but it's still not going to look good when I go for my interview and I plan on staying in Australia till I've got the money required to go over there.

I plan on telling them I have a car to sell.

When I get over to the US I'm pretty much going to be set up till I find a job, my Fiancees parents are extremely nice and own 2 houses and they're letting us have one till I can get on my feet over there and start making some money so the housing and food isn't a problem. What are the chances they'll reject me on this?

Also couldn't I just get someone I know to put some money into my account for me and then after they can take it out again? My only problem with that is it looks suspicious if I just get a load of money into my account. I'm pretty worried this might mess up my whole visa..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Wait, are you the beneficiary? It's your fiancee who has to have her finances in order AFAIK. Not you. I've been freelancing since 2008 and making very little money but all they cared about was my sponsor's income. They never even asked me anything about mine.

12/23/2010 - filed

05/02/2011 - petition approved

07/19/2011 - interview (approved!!!!!)

08/16/2011 - POE Houston TX

09/19/2011 - married!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Since her parents seem very willing to help out, they could act as co-sponsors if your fiance does not meet the poverty limit.

It's not about already having a place to stay or not having a lot of expenses, she still needs to prove that she can support you financially. Your finances do not count.

Edited by Bsze

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

"During the visa interview, applicants will be required to present evidence to the Consular Officer that they will not become a public charge in the U.S. You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is able to provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e). "

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html#8

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Also how much would be considered enough for them to let me in?

I have read somewhere (so please check this because I am a newbie and still get things wrong) that if your source of income will remain a source of income after you are here and continue to be here (not like a last paycheck type of situation) it counts at least when you go to adjust status. So it may well count at the I-134 portion of the process as well. Having a large sum of money transferred for the purpose of appearing wealthy would be a mistake as they will conduct a background check and probably realize what you were doing. And playing games with immigration isn't smart. They always catch you. Any US Citizen can co-sponsor you or so I have been told on this site.

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

"During the visa interview, applicants will be required to present evidence to the Consular Officer that they will not become a public charge in the U.S. You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is able to provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e). "

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html#8

They will consider the likelihood that the beneficiary will become a public charge. They'll presume that a person who is an employable age and without physical or mental infirmity will be able to land a job in the US. Your work history and assets will be relatively unimportant to them.

It's a virtual certainty they'll want an I-134 affidavit of support from the petitioner. This is because you will not be able to adjust status and get a green card after coming to the US without a sufficient sponsor. The consulate will want evidence that the petitioner is qualified to sponsor you, or has a joint sponsor ready who is qualified.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; If her parents are so friendly enough to help you guys out with a roof above your head and food to eat, ask them if they are willing to become co-sponsors since her income won't meet the poverty level USCIS requires. Problem solved :thumbs:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Okay so I just got an email back from the US consulate and to my absolute annoyance my packet 3 has been sitting in my fiancees emails since July 12 (Boy did she get an earful). Anyway when filling out the for a co-sponsor do her parents have to fill out the I-134?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Now how big of a deal is the money? I've been having trouble finding work for 6 months so haven't had much money but recently found 2 jobs so I'm working both to get some money together but it's still not going to look good when I go for my interview and I plan on staying in Australia till I've got the money required to go over there.

I plan on telling them I have a car to sell.

When I get over to the US I'm pretty much going to be set up till I find a job, my Fiancees parents are extremely nice and own 2 houses and they're letting us have one till I can get on my feet over there and start making some money so the housing and food isn't a problem. What are the chances they'll reject me on this?

Also couldn't I just get someone I know to put some money into my account for me and then after they can take it out again? My only problem with that is it looks suspicious if I just get a load of money into my account. I'm pretty worried this might mess up my whole visa..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its the sponsors income that is important.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.