Danno

2% of U.S. population, accounted for 61 % of new HIV infections in 2009.

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

HIV infections in U.S. stable but disparities exist

(Reuters) - The number of Americans newly infected with HIV remained stable between 2006 and 2009, but infections rose nearly 50 percent among young black gay and bisexual men, U.S. experts said on Wednesday.

New data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveal progress since the peak of the HIV epidemic in the 1980s. But the sharp increases in infection rates among young black men who have sex with men show there is much more work to do, they said.

"We're very concerned about these increases among young gay men," Dr. Kevin Fenton, director of the CDC's National Center for HIV/AIDS, said in a telephone interview.

"We can't allow the health to a new generation to be lost to what is essentially a completely preventable disease."

According to the estimates, published in the journal PLoS ONE, there were 48,600 new HIV infections in the United States in 2006, 56,000 in 2007, 47,800 in 2008 and 48,100 in 2009. Over the four-year period, that amounts to an average of 50,000 cases per year.

But communities of color, and especially blacks, were disproportionately affected.

While blacks represent 14 percent of the U.S. population, they accounted for 44 percent of new HIV infections in 2009. HIV infection rates among blacks were nearly eight times higher than rates in whites, according to the study.

Hispanics, who represent about 16 percent of the population, accounted for 20 percent of new HIV infections in 2009 - a rate that was nearly three times as high as that of whites.

HARDEST HIT

Men who have sex with men - which includes openly gay and bisexual men and those who do not identify themselves as gay or bisexual - remain most heavily affected.

While this group represents 2 percent of the overall U.S. population, they accounted for 61 percent of all new HIV infections in 2009.

And young men who have sex with men - those aged 13 to 29 - are the hardest hit, accounting for more than one quarter of all new HIV infections nationally.

New HIV infections affected young men who have sex with men of all races, but the CDC saw very sharp increases among young black men who have sex with men.

"We saw increases of up to 48 percent - nearly a 50 percent increase between 2006 and 2009," Fenton said.

The reasons for this are not yet clear, he said, but the CDC said several factors are influencing this trend.

They said young black men who have sex with men are less aware of their infection status. They may encounter more homophobia than other groups, which could keep them from getting tested. They may have less access to treatment, and they have higher rates of other sexually transmitted diseases, which increases the risk of HIV transmission.

"HIV remains one of the most glaring health disparities in this country," Fenton said in a statement.

"While we all have individual responsibility to protect ourselves from HIV infection, the research clearly shows that individual risk behavior alone doesn't account for the significant racial disparities in HIV," he said.

"It is essential to understand the underlying factors that contribute to these disparities, such as poverty, discrimination and lack of access to health care."

To fight these increases, Fenton said the CDC will focus on areas where HIV infection is most heavily concentrated - among gay and bisexual men of all races, blacks and Hispanics, as outlined in the National HIV/AIDS Strategy introduced by the White House last summer.

The plan calls for better methods to gather data among affected populations and increased use of prevention tools, including earlier testing and treatment with drug cocktails that have been shown to reduce HIV transmission.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/03/us-usa-hiv-infections-idUSTRE7724SO20110803?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

CDC also said there were 18,000 homicides last year.

Anyway, are you disappointed that the disease seems contained? Or are you worried that "disco" is going to make a comeback?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Danno is right. Where a lack of education is evident, HIV infection rates are higher. Maybe some people want these areas to be subject to this kind of population control? That is- if they can promote the HIV infection to turn to full-blown AIDS right?

Timeline

Danno is right. Where a lack of education is evident, HIV infection rates are higher. Maybe some people want these areas to be subject to this kind of population control? That is- if they can promote the HIV infection to turn to full-blown AIDS right?

How did you determine this demographic has a lake of education?

From what I have read in the past, Homosexuals tend to be better educated than the average person.

William Penn

Timeline

CDC also said there were 18,000 homicides last year.

Anyway, are you disappointed that the disease seems contained? Or are you worried that "disco" is going to make a comeback?

-Thankfully Disco does not seem to be making a rebound... so no need to worry.

-It's always better when a disease is somewhat contained within a certain behavior, one need only avoid the behavior to minimize risk of exposure.

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

-Thankfully Disco does not seem to be making a rebound... so no need to worry.

-It's always better when a disease is somewhat contained within a certain behavior, one need only avoid the behavior to minimize risk of exposure.

-Nice posting style! good.gif

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Does anyone really think the same demographic keeps messing up because they're not educated enough? How much money is it going to take to prove to the rest of us they know basic things about life?

I keep hearing over, and over, and over that it's a problem of education. I beg to differ.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Does anyone really think the same demographic keeps messing up because they're not educated enough? How much money is it going to take to prove to the rest of us they know basic things about life?

I keep hearing over, and over, and over that it's a problem of education. I beg to differ.

The DWL (disingenuous white liberal) always clings to the hope of education as the answer (to so many of these problems) because without that.... there seems to be no answer...... and that is an unacceptable conclusion.

Even when all dollars are exhausted... and all efforts fail: Education still holds the key, if we will just do it more effectively.

William Penn

Timeline

Educational Post – Do what you want to do….It’s your life but good god if you do not know 100% where it has been use a stinking condom. – That will be $39.95 for the education. :whistle:

1070663.jpg

Every public school in the US teaches sex ed. So what's your point? Do you think they aren't teaching about what can happen if you don't use a condom? Hello ?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

How did you determine this demographic has a lake of education?

From what I have read in the past, Homosexuals tend to be better educated than the average person.

Apologies- I was referring directly to poor folk, mainly black and Hispanic from places where education, and sex education, is obviously not very strong.

Perhaps with gay marriage you'd see more monogamous relationships, equating to less promiscuity. ;)

Timeline

Every public school in the US teaches sex ed. So what's your point? Do you think they aren't teaching about what can happen if you don't use a condom? Hello ?

Try again, in reality next time.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

What this news doesn't teach people about is that having vaginal sex doesn't always transmit HIV. However, having sex in the rectum will completely transmit HIV. Reason being is there is blood in the stool.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Timeline

Apologies- I was referring directly to poor folk, mainly black and Hispanic from places where education, and sex education, is obviously not very strong.

Perhaps with gay marriage you'd see more monogamous relationships, equating to less promiscuity. ;)

What do you base this assumption on?

Of all the activity that leads to the infectious spread of AIDS, do you really think the few who seek marriage (and remain exclusive) will put a dent in the overall amount of risky behavior taking place?

Pardon me but you are wadding into "wishful thinking", IMO.

William Penn