Steph&Eder

Hellppp!!!??!!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

OK, So I just ordered I-129F, Waiting for it to arive in the mail, to begin this looong process ahead of me.

My biggest question/concern right now is the lawyer issue...I dont know if I should hire an attorney or give it a try myself. ??

Of course when I call attorneys offices they say its best to hire one....But is it really ????

Help ...

=[

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

OK, So I just ordered I-129F, Waiting for it to arive in the mail, to begin this looong process ahead of me.

My biggest question/concern right now is the lawyer issue...I dont know if I should hire an attorney or give it a try myself. ??

Of course when I call attorneys offices they say its best to hire one....But is it really ????

Help ...

=[

Steph,

if your case doesn't have particular issues,DO NOT waste a single penny on lawyers..this can be easily done with all the materials in this website and with the help of many veteran members. Sometimes lawyers screw up instead of being helpful. Choice is yours of course

P.S. You know you can download the forms from the USCIS website? It's faster in this way

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

DO NOT DO IT!!!! it's just a long stressful process but not anything you cant do yourself. Especially with all the help you can get on VJ, its really not worth waiting money on a lawyer or attorney. I'v heard mega horror story's about getting one and its really really not worth it. Everyone on VJ is really helpful to any questions or confusions u may have about this whole process. It's really not a hard one. do it yourself. its only long a a bit stressful at times. but you guys can do it :) hang in there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Steph,

if your case doesn't have particular issues,DO NOT waste a single penny on lawyers..this can be easily done with all the materials in this website and with the help of many veteran members. Sometimes lawyers screw up instead of being helpful. Choice is yours of course

P.S. You know you can download the forms from the USCIS website? It's faster in this way

In my case, I used a lawyer because I travel on business and needed someone to field inquiries and put together paperwork/filings because I was not able to effectively from the road. Also, I am not good with minute details, I'm a big picture guy. Also, she's been helpful in terms of strategy (less is more, what to include, what to avoid) so for me she has not been a waste of money. She was expensive, however.

If you are time or detail challenged, I would hire someone to help you. If you are ok in both, I would do it yourself, read the faqs on VJ, and ask a lot of questions here.

Yes, I agree with reply #1, download your forms from the website, it will save you cumulative months in the end.

Best of luck

Rostov

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

:yes:THANK YOU All SOOOOOO VERYYY MUCH.!

IM BARLEY AT THE BEGINING AND IM FINDING VJ TO BE

BEYOND HELPFULLL!!!

WELL AGAIN THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME OUT ON MY

BIGGEST CONCERN OF THE MOMENT.

IM SURE THERES MANY MORE WHERE THAT CAME FROM.

=]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

When I started the process in April, I was wondering the same thing. I did some research on immigration attorneys in my area and wrote down some names and numbers. I realized after a few phone calls that most charge a consultation fee of around $100.00 - $150.00. That's just to meet with them for about an hour to see if they're even right for you. Out of frustration, I did have a consultation with one and paid $130.00. I didn't find the guy that helpful and was out of his office after 30 minutes. I wasn't going to keep paying this fee until I found someone; I would go broke! I even found a guy that has a business in Michigan and handles cases from all over the country. We emailed back and forth for a while and he answered a lot of my questions, but quoted $3000.00 to complete the whole process. From the research I did, this is about what you can expect to pay any immigration attorney for this process. Finally, my foreign fiancee's cousin recommended an immigration consultant that she had used for her husband. I called and met with her. She knows her stuff and it's only $50.00 a visit. I got more out of my first visit with her than I did from the $130.00 half hour visit with the attorney. She answers my questions, helps me fill out the paperwork, tells me how to put the packet together, tells me what to expect, what the next steps are, etc. She even helps with the Adjustment of Status after the visa is obtained. I'm very grateful for her assistance and for the recommendation that led me to her. Immigration consultants are cheaper than attorneys, very knowledgeable, and I would highly recommend using one to help you throughout this process. I'm sure if you do a Google search, you could find some in your area. Best of luck to you!

K-1 Visa
04-29-2011: I-129F Sent
05-05-2011: I-129F NOA1
07-18-2011: I-129F NOA2
08-08-2011: NVC Received
08-09-2011: NVC Left
08-10-2011: Consulate Received
08-26-2011: Consulate mailed Packet 3 (invitation letter)
09-01-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in US
09-10-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in Mexico
09-22-2011: Interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-04-2011: DHL Waybill number appears in the afternoon
10-05-2011: Picked up visa from DHL office
11-08-2011: POE Houston, Texas
11-19-2011: Married!

AOS
12-06-2011: Applied for Social Security Number
12-08-2011: AOS package sent (I-485, I-765, I-131, and supporting docs)
12-12-2011: Received Social Security Number and card in the mail
12-20-2011: Received NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-131
01-06-2012: Completed ASC appointment
02-02-2012: Received appointment notice for AOS interview on March 1, 2012
03-01-2012: Green card interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-10-2012: Green card received

ROC

12-27-2013: I-751 Sent

01-02-2014: Received NOA1 for I-751

01-24-2014: Completed ASC appointment

04-01-2014: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview)

CITIZENSHIP

11-14-2016: N-400 Sent

05-19-2017: Naturalization interview:  APPROVED!!!!!!!

06-28-2017: Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

PS - Here is a helpful link for more information: Info. about Immigration Consultants

Basically, it says the main concern is that since immigration consultants do not need certification, anyone can call themselves one so you don't know how experienced they are. In my case, I was referred to my consultant by a recommendation and it was very clear to me as soon as I entered her office that she was experienced. While I was waiting, there were some people from Romania there that she was helping and she said they have been customers of hers for many years. She showed me their pictures and talked to me about how far they have come in the process. I was impressed that she knew them so well and that she dealt with people from so many different countries. She's also bilingual (English and Spanish) and I would think any good consultant would be. The good thing is that they don't charge too much so you actually can afford to shop around if you feel you need to.

K-1 Visa
04-29-2011: I-129F Sent
05-05-2011: I-129F NOA1
07-18-2011: I-129F NOA2
08-08-2011: NVC Received
08-09-2011: NVC Left
08-10-2011: Consulate Received
08-26-2011: Consulate mailed Packet 3 (invitation letter)
09-01-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in US
09-10-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in Mexico
09-22-2011: Interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-04-2011: DHL Waybill number appears in the afternoon
10-05-2011: Picked up visa from DHL office
11-08-2011: POE Houston, Texas
11-19-2011: Married!

AOS
12-06-2011: Applied for Social Security Number
12-08-2011: AOS package sent (I-485, I-765, I-131, and supporting docs)
12-12-2011: Received Social Security Number and card in the mail
12-20-2011: Received NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-131
01-06-2012: Completed ASC appointment
02-02-2012: Received appointment notice for AOS interview on March 1, 2012
03-01-2012: Green card interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-10-2012: Green card received

ROC

12-27-2013: I-751 Sent

01-02-2014: Received NOA1 for I-751

01-24-2014: Completed ASC appointment

04-01-2014: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview)

CITIZENSHIP

11-14-2016: N-400 Sent

05-19-2017: Naturalization interview:  APPROVED!!!!!!!

06-28-2017: Citizenship ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

You'll find a lot of people here will say don't use lawyers.

I have to agree. Some people are in situations where having a lawyer is ideal because of time constraints/traveling/having someone be there to double check for them etc. Others are able to read the directions diligently and use the resources on this website.

If you have the money, by all means use a lawyer. Myself, I am younger and don't really have the resources for one. I filed everything myself, and if I had a question I asked on this forum. I probably will use this forum as the process continues too. hahaha.

Keep in mind. Having a lawyer will not guarantee you a visa, nor will it make the process go faster for you. So a visa is truly only useful for someone who may have unusual circumstances where legal advice is needed OR you prefer for someone else to put the petition together for you.

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.