one...two...tree

What Ails You?

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have or have had any of the following health issues or problems?

• Diabetes
    • Hypertension
    • Kidney Disease
    • Liver Disease
    • Pancreatitis
    • Obstructed Bowel
    • High Cholesterol
    • Heart Disease
    • Cancer
    • Stroke
    • none of the above
  2. 2. What kind of health coverage(s) do you have? (select multiple)

• Private Health Insurance
    • Medicaid
    • Medicare or some state run health insurance
    • Health Savings Account
    • I have no health insurance
  3. 3. You are....

• Female under 30
    • Female under 40
    • Female under 50
    • Female under 60
    • Female over 60
    • Male under 30
    • Male under 40
    • Male under 50
    • Male under 60
    • Male over 60

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

none of the above - I just have a gallstone, a non-cancerous mass on my liver and PCOS :P

private health insurance, and I am under 40...

Are you taking anything to help dissolve the gallstones? If you drink coffee, apparently that helps lower the instances.

http://www.soulhealer.com/gallstones.htm

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I just have one gallstone and it doesn't bother me... they found it by chance when I had a ultrasound done for something else... and no I am not taking anything to dissolve it...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am a miracle of modern medicine. Typical over 40 profile taking HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors.

Wow! Nothing but old guys and young gals answering this poll.

VJ is full of old guys and young gals!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've had type 1 diabetes for 19 years now, a ruptured disk at C5-S1 for 5 years, and a torn left meniscus for 32 years. Insulin, test strips and regular bloodwork add up. Right now I have private insurance through my husband. When he retires - if he retires - I will have no coverage. It is a terrifying thought. I'm 56 and in good health otherwise.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've had type 1 diabetes for 19 years now, a ruptured disk at C5-S1 for 5 years, and a torn left meniscus for 32 years. Insulin, test strips and regular bloodwork add up. Right now I have private insurance through my husband. When he retires - if he retires - I will have no coverage. It is a terrifying thought. I'm 56 and in good health otherwise.

Sorry to hear that. Does your torn meniscus cause you any discomfort? I tore my ACL in my right knee about 6 years ago playing basketball. When I went to my doctor, he did a stress test on it and was convinced I didn't tear it and said I could go back on the court in a couple of weeks. So the next time I was playing basketball, I moved laterally and my lower leg just collapse inward causing excruciating pain. It was then that I believe I tore my meniscus. I then had surgery to replace my ACL and the surgeon trimmed off the torn meniscus, but to this day, if I twist my torso with my foot planted, it sometimes feels like bone against bone. My knee also crackles if I crouch. I'm thinking that eventually, I'll have an arthritic knee.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear that. Does your torn meniscus cause you any discomfort? I tore my ACL in my right knee about 6 years ago playing basketball. When I went to my doctor, he did a stress test on it and was convinced I didn't tear it and said I could go back on the court in a couple of weeks. So the next time I was playing basketball, I moved laterally and my lower leg just collapse inward causing excruciating pain. It was then that I believe I tore my meniscus. I then had surgery to replace my ACL and the surgeon trimmed off the torn meniscus, but to this day, if I twist my torso with my foot planted, it sometimes feels like bone against bone. My knee also crackles if I crouch. I'm thinking that eventually, I'll have an arthritic knee.

I tore it while riding during the winter and my horse slipped on some ice in the grass while we were cantering in a field. She fell down and my leg was pinned under her. I heard the 'crack' when it happened. I was able to remount with the help of a friend and it didn't hurt at all, which surprised me. The next morning my knee was locked and I couldn't bend it. My doctor suspected a torn meniscus but said surgery at that time still wasn't what he felt very good and suggested trying to wait a few years to see if it improved. For the next few years the knee would lock, go into spasm and sometimes just crumple when I put weight on it. I kept the muscles around it strong and eventually only had 2 or 3 very painful episodes a year followed by a large bruise on the inside of the knee. Last year it really began to hurt a lot so I went to an orthopedist who arranged for an MRI. The MRI showed the torn meniscus and some exposure of the bone beginning as well as minor arthritic changes. He suggested a course of physiotherapy and then we would re-evaluate to see if that helped. If not, then he recommended surgery. I was really surprised that the physio helped a lot and have decided - so far - that surgery isn't necessary.

I'm sorry that you have pain still as well. I did a lot of research on the surgery and discovering that it doesn't always stop the pain and sometimes makes it worse helped me decide that I can still handle my knee the way it is. I hope yours doesn't get worse

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
taking HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors.
May your lipidemia remain unhypered, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I did the same thing. I think it is my right knee. The problem was I was working out too hard imo...The day it happened I ran 2 miles in about a 6 to 7 minute per mile pace. Then I immediately went to play basketball. I turned a certain way and heard a pop and fell to the ground. I don't think it would have happened if I skipped the sprint-running...

I didn't go to the doctor. Just limped home and it healed within 1 week.

Since then I have re-sprained the same knee a good 4 or 5 times. At least once (maybe twice) thinking I could play basketball again. One time fishing. One time hopping out of a boat. One time throwing a football.

Realized that I can never play any sports again unless I get surgery.

But it doesn't affect me day to day. I can run no problem I just am careful on the 90 degree sidewalk turns.

What amazes me is the professional athletes can have the same thing happen and they are back in 1 week.

Edited by Lord Infamous

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have an inherited disease - polycystic kidney disease which also causes high blood pressure, so my Dad and one of my brothers has it too. It is autosomal dominant. I can not get private health insurance because of this pre-existing condition, nor can I get life insurance. I am currently without insurance, as I just got laid off from my job.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05