paul_kay

For those leaving or already moved to the US

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am now thinking about all the things I need and want to pack when I leave next month to be with my wonderful husband-to-be. I already donated clothes and other stuff I won't be using anymore and planning to shop before leaving but I do not know what to buy! What are the things that are more practical to get here (I'm from the PI) rather in the US?

To all the ladies out there, what are the stuff you brought with you that you felt shy to buy in the presence of your man? Lol (You can pm me re this)

I've heard of "Tabo" but I can live without it. :rofl:

Responses will be appreciated. :)

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Timeline

OH, and how much pesos or dollars did you bring to get you through the airport?

AOS Timeline

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

everything almost here and u can buy it in asian store i bought my "tabo" here in asian store anything u need especially for cooking like vetsin, toyo ,suka lol

i bought it to nearest asian store here and surprised its a lot in here seems asian store around Seattle are more than American store lol but u will surprised when u are in asian store some items are in frozen goods like lanzones, calamansi and dahon ng saging and sometimes calamansi are packed in a separate small plastic it looks funny but u will use to it once ur here.or u can order it online but i guess theres a minimum order i never tried bcoz asian stores are a lot here in my place so i have no problem when it comes to it.

I am now thinking about all the things I need and want to pack when I leave next month to be with my wonderful husband-to-be. I already donated clothes and other stuff I won't be using anymore and planning to shop before leaving but I do not know what to buy! What are the things that are more practical to get here (I'm from the PI) rather in the US?

To all the ladies out there, what are the stuff you brought with you that you felt shy to buy in the presence of your man? Lol (You can pm me re this)

Clothes are expensive here. Or if ur shoe size is small for US size then u can buy shoes as well. But u can buy everything here.I do shop clothes everytime i go home.Im not shy coz i make my own living,i work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This sounds so insignificant but I stocked up on local branded makeup since its still cheaper in PI compared to the drugstore makeup in the USA. I even bought backups. :P

K-1 Timeline

2-01-2011 > Mailed 129F

02-09-2011 > NOA1 email & SMS notification

02-12-2011 > NOA1 hardcopy received via mail (official date on NOA1 is 02-07-11)

05-17-2011 > NOA2 email & SMS notification (approved in 99 days from NOA1 date)

06-06-2011 > Got MNL case number

06-08-2011 > Paid Visa fee @ BPI bank (scheduled interview appointment online the same day)

06-13 & 14-2011 > 2-day medical exam

07-08-2011 > Received Letter of Eligibility

08-02-2011 > USEM Interview (rescheduled from July 18) - APPROVED!

08-11-2011 > Visa issued (accdg. to USEM email inquiry; 9 days from interview date)

08-15-2011 > 2go site showed Visa is already in transit

08-16-2011 > Visa received! (10 working days from interview date)

08-22-2011 > CFO Seminar

09-02-2011 > POE: SFO

AOS Timeline

10-13-2011 > Obtained marriage license

11-17-2011 > WEDDING

11-18-2011 > Sent AOS packet (with AOS & EAD)

12-01-2011 > Received hard copy NOA 1 for AOS & EAD

12-10-2011 > Received biometrics letter for 12-29

12-29-2011 > Biometrics taken

01-09-2012 > Letter for Request for Initial Interview received scheduled on Feb. 8

01-20-2012 > EAD status - Document/Card production

01-26-2012 > Accdg. to USCIS site: "We mailed you a notice that we have approved this I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION."

01-28-2012 > EAD card arrives

02-08-2012 > AOS interview - APPROVED!

02-11-2012 > Welcome Notice received

02-13-2012 > Card production ordered

02-14-2012 > Green card mailed

02-18-2012 > Green card arrives

Timeline

everything almost here and u can buy it in asian store i bought my "tabo" here in asian store anything u need especially for cooking like vetsin, toyo ,suka lol

i bought it to nearest asian store here and surprised its a lot in here seems asian store around Seattle are more than American store lol but u will surprised when u are in asian store some items are in frozen goods like lanzones, calamansi and dahon ng saging and sometimes calamansi are packed in a separate small plastic it looks funny but u will use to it once ur here.or u can order it online but i guess theres a minimum order i never tried bcoz asian stores are a lot here in my place so i have no problem when it comes to it.

Lol That calamansi thing is funny. I'm going to Illinois so I guess there would be a lot of Filipino stores in there.

AOS Timeline

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Timeline

Clothes are expensive here. Or if ur shoe size is small for US size then u can buy shoes as well. But u can buy everything here.I do shop clothes everytime i go home.Im not shy coz i make my own living,i work.

Yeah My shoe size is 5 and I am going to bring at least 30 pairs of shoes! Lol Very pinoy and very Imelda Marcos. But I do worry if I should buy more closed shoes? Because it gets very cold in Illinois and I don't know if my shoes are season appropriate.

By buying the things I get shy with my fiance. I am referring to pads, make ups and other female necessities. Coz I'm gonna be unemployed during the first few months.

AOS Timeline

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Timeline

This sounds so insignificant but I stocked up on local branded makeup since its still cheaper in PI compared to the drugstore makeup in the USA. I even bought backups. :P

LOL I am doing this too. But I was told make ups there are cheaper?

AOS Timeline

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Bring at least two original or certified copies each of EVERY official document that you can think of -- birth certificate, divorce/annulment certificate if applicable, birth certificate(s) of child(ren) if applicable, school transcripts, police report, vaccination records, etc.

If you don't have a driver's license, do everything in your power to earn one before you leave. If you have one, renew it so that its expiration date is as far in the future as possible.

It may be too late if your visa is already stapled inside your passport, but renew your passport for as many years as possible, too.

In general, prepare yourself by procuring MORE THAN ONE COPY of every official document that would be difficult or impossible or beastly expensive to get once you're in the U.S., si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

My fiance advised me to just mail off some of my things that I will need (mainly books and baby crib and some stuff), asked me to bring just clothes that I will need for the trip, told me to bring almost nothing. lol. cos everything can be bought in the US according to him.

About money, we plan to change my pesos in my PI bank savings to dollars before I leave and deposit them to the USAA account I had in the US.

I guess, less than 500 will do for everything (travel money).

Bring original and some certified copies of the original documents you have as what the other poster said. :thumbs:

Edited by tonylovesam

Sam's CRBA, US Passport, and SSN Journey

Nov. 2010: CRBA and US passport application sent(via Air21)

Dec. 08, 2010: Interview(DNA was recommended)

April 04, 2011: CRBA and US passport on hand

April 2011: SSN Application sent (mailed original docs thru 2GO)

April 29, 2011: SSN card on hand

My K1 Visa Journey

March 05, 2011: I-129F packet sent

March 14, 2011: NOA1

May 20, 2011: NOA2(approved in 67 days from NOA1, with no RFEs)

June 24, 2011: NVC received approved petition from USCIS

June 29, 2011: Approved original petition left NVC to US Embassy-Manila

July 15, 2011: Eligibility letter received from US Embassy-Manila(dated July 11, 2011)

October 26 - June 5, 2012: SLEC trap!!! (DOT tx to vaccine administration)

June 7, 2012: Interview (APPROVED!) :)

June 18, 2012: Visa picked up at the embassy

June 20, 2012: POE in Detroit

proud of my family

:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Yeah My shoe size is 5 and I am going to bring at least 30 pairs of shoes! Lol Very pinoy and very Imelda Marcos. But I do worry if I should buy more closed shoes? Because it gets very cold in Illinois and I don't know if my shoes are season appropriate.

By buying the things I get shy with my fiance. I am referring to pads, make ups and other female necessities. Coz I'm gonna be unemployed during the first few months.

Not only it gets very cold, but it also snows in Illinois in winter, so you will need some boots, or at least closed shoes. I don't know the prices in the Philippines, but I find clothes and shoes actually pretty cheap here in the US (well compared to Europe at least). So I think it would be cheaper to buy new clothes/shoes here, than paying alot of money for shipping them from the Philippines (unless you can fit everything in the suitcases you are going to bring, of course).

Don't worry about buying female necessities. Buying make up here in the US is very common and nothing to be shy about. As for pads and things like that, your fiance knows that you need because you're a woman, so don't be shy about it. I'm sure he will be totally ok with buying them for you! :)

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Timeline

My fiance advised me to just mail off some of my things that I will need (mainly books and baby crib and some stuff), asked me to bring just clothes that I will need for the trip, told me to bring almost nothing. lol. cos everything can be bought in the US according to him.

About money, we plan to change my pesos in my PI bank savings to dollars before I leave and deposit them to the USAA account I had in the US.

I guess, less than 500 will do for everything (travel money).

Bring original and some certified copies of the original documents you have as what the other poster said. :thumbs:

How much pesos did you bring? Let's say I am bringing 4 luggage. My airline only allows 2. How much dollar should I bring to spend in my layover?

I have one original birth cert and the documents the embassy didn't take from me during the interview.

AOS Timeline

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Timeline

Dont bring over 10thousand $ thats a limit with customs. The US has many different weather conditions and some things like boots and coats should be bought in the US and have your fiance help with that as he will alreday know the temperatures. Definately bring any school transcripts and a few certified copies of any important documents , vaccinations etc. Most larger cities will have an Asian style store for some things. My fiances sister is already in the US and seems to have good luck in the JCPennys in the petite section for clothes. Many people have told me it's better to have any dental or medical checkups or work done before you leave because cheaper, same with birth control pills. Jim.

Timeline

Dont bring over 10thousand $ thats a limit with customs. The US has many different weather conditions and some things like boots and coats should be bought in the US and have your fiance help with that as he will alreday know the temperatures. Definately bring any school transcripts and a few certified copies of any important documents , vaccinations etc. Most larger cities will have an Asian style store for some things. My fiances sister is already in the US and seems to have good luck in the JCPennys in the petite section for clothes. Many people have told me it's better to have any dental or medical checkups or work done before you leave because cheaper, same with birth control pills. Jim.

Okay I agree with the medications. Getting a winter wardrobe is in our plans when I get there.

Okay I agree with the medications. Getting a winter wardrobe is in our plans when I get there.

AOS Timeline

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Everything goes in US mainland, don't loose your identity, my wife does not wear much Asian clothes, even though I like them. It will be an adjustment of two cultures, have fun.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.