DiZZyLoX

Any of y'all homesick?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

There's a great pub in apopka that is awesome...sometimes you can't even get in the place. St Andrew's Tavern iirc. They put out some pretty traditional food too.

I used to live in Apopka and went there many times. You can even order sausages and back bacon to take away from there, they were pretty accomodating :-)

July 2010 - Hubby and our children moved back to USA (for work etc)

Nov 2010 - Visited for 3 weeks (it hurts like mad to be away from them)

June 2011 - visited for 4 weeks

26th June 2011 -I-130 Express Mail to Chicago

28th June 2011- I-130 Chicago signed for package

12th July - Returned to UK..

29th June 2011 - USCIS informed me Noa1 mailed on 29th June

2nd July 2011 - Touched

8th August 2011 - Expedite approved

12th August 2011 - Touched

12th August 2011 - The dreaded RFE!

9th September 2011 - RFE received by CSC - being reviewed!

13th September 2011 - USCIS approved

19th September 2011 - NVC received file.

4th October 2011 - NVC # assigned, emailed dob amendment email (amended now), emailed DS-3032, Logged into payment portal (not invoiced), booked medical - 20th October

5th October 2011 - Emailed expedite

6th October 2011 - 2 emails from NVC (expedite and ds-3032 responses)

- SIF at payment portal.

7th October 2011 - expedite approved

12th October 2011 - case left NVC (nice birthday present!)

13th October 2001 - case arrived in UK

20th October 2011 - Medical - passed

24th October 2011 - DS-230 & DS-2001 received by Embassy

3rd November 2011 - interview - approved

4th November 2011 - text message from courier, saying they are delivering on Monday

7th November 2011 - Visa received

10th November 2011 - POE - LA

After living here for nearly three years, there are only a very few things I have not been able to find:

- golden syrup/black treacle

- good-quality joints of lamb at a decent price, including things like lamb's liver

- Jaffa cakes! I can find McVities digestives, rich-tea and all kinds of Jaffa cakes substitutes/rip-offs, but not McVities Jaffa cakes (or, I think I did once, but they were INCREDIBLY stale!)

Pretty much everything else, from all varieties of chocolate to good bacon/sausage, bread, biscuits, the particular brands of curry pastes/chutney I like, even mint jelly (for the non-existent lamb), jelly babies, etc., I've been able to find, even if it is in some specialty market at a ludicrous price. Then again, I'm fortunate enough to live in a heavily urbanised area.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

we found the curry sauces and powders...even found wheatabix. i'm surprised you can't find lamb. there's so many little greek places around here that they must be getting that lamb from somewhere. It's about. Gotta be.

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Our situation's not typical; we're both Brits. I've been here 15 years, Fiona arrived for the first time 2 years ago.

There are things I love and miss in the UK (Family, Friends, pickled onions, affordable AND good lamb, etc) but I always look forward to coming home.

There's a great UK food store in Nashua NH (British Aisles) where you can get a lot of stuff that you might miss.

I've made my own pickled onions, even given them as gifts (British ####### label). We make our own Steak and Kidney pies, Toad in the Hole, etc. We buy DVDs from Amazon UK and watch them on a region-free player.

AIR QUALITY

My wife has a respiratory issue, but in the six months she's been in New Hampshire, never needed her inhaler once. We flew back to the south-east of England ten days ago; within a few days she needed the inhaler.

I have a good job, she will soon, we have wonderful friends. We've found a wonderful place to share our future together and will not be staring wistfully across the ocean.

Milky Ways in the UK are different to the US Milky Ways, I think.

US Mars Bars are nothing like UK Mars Bars, but I suppose the nearest thing to a Mars is a US Milky Way.. got it? Good, cuz I haven't. :D

Ok - Neal's guide to American "chocolate" bars.

US Milky Way = Very similar to a UK Mars bar.

US Mars bar = Kind of similar to a UK Topic.

3 Musketeers = Similar to a UK Milky Way.

But as with all American bars, the chocolate tastes VERY different. It's all down to the different ingredients, and personally I'm not a fan.

By the way - American made Cadbury's products taste like #######. Ditto American Kit-Kats.

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

American Cadbury's is just Hershey's in a Cadbury wrapper.

I live right next to Hershey and I love how they say it's sold around the world, yet it's really hard to find in England, changed my view a bit.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Went to Meijer the other day (midwestians will know...) and went to the "foreign" food aisle.

Everything in the British section was SO overpriced. I mean I understand that a: it has to be imported (mostly) and b: it has a "cool" factor of being foreign which immediately adds about 50% to the price, but $8 for a SMALL 125g jar or Marmite? Sod off!

I told my dad this and bless him he went out and bought some marmite, digestives and hobnobs to send in a care package! D'oh.

David.

K-1 Timeline:

14 Sep 2010 - Mailed in I-129F.

08 Feb 2011 - NOA 2.

09 Jun 2011 - Visa in hand.

13 Aug 2011 - Wedding day.

AOS Timeline:

14 Oct 2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD forms.

21 Oct 2011 - NOA for AOS/EAD.

05 Nov 2011 - Case transferred to CSC.

08 Nov 2011 - Biometrics.

29 Dec 2011 - EAD in hand.

05 Jan 2012 - I-485 Approved (AOS).

11 Jan 2012 - I-551/Permanent Resident Card in hand.

Went to Meijer the other day (midwestians will know...) and went to the "foreign" food aisle.

Everything in the British section was SO overpriced. I mean I understand that a: it has to be imported (mostly) and b: it has a "cool" factor of being foreign which immediately adds about 50% to the price, but $8 for a SMALL 125g jar or Marmite? Sod off!

I told my dad this and bless him he went out and bought some marmite, digestives and hobnobs to send in a care package! D'oh.

I think there's a Marmite cartel in the U.S. I've never seen it anywhere here for less than $6 for a small jar.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I think there's a Marmite cartel in the U.S. I've never seen it anywhere here for less than $6 for a small jar.

The question I have is ...

"Why are you looking for Marmite in the first place???!!!" :o

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

For the husband, of course! Although I can tolerate it. I like salt.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If there is any question in your mind that you should be looking for Marmite, you should read this:

So you think you're rather English?

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

If there is any question in your mind that you should be looking for Marmite, you should read this:

So you think you're rather English?

To which, I will counter with the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r99w-gOtj4

:whistle:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

You're just two years behind us.

So far, Nik hasn't really felt home sick at all (I've asked a few times). The good news for him is that he spent a lot of time online at home, and guess what, the intarwebz is the same here as it is there. In fact, he's got even more bandwidth here! We have also found a board game group from meetup.com, so a lot of the time when we go out, we see people who are "our" friends and not just "my" friends. You don't even need to find a British club, just something in common to start building up a life again.

I think also driving was a big help. It's some independence, and more comfort/understanding with the sort of flavor of the new city. We sort of happened into a good pattern, while he was waiting for paperwork, I went with him a few times to the Home Depot down the street, and gave him some "Honey Do" things, and he could go out by himself to the store with a goal, and of course, driving me to and from work (we still share the car I had before marriage). Then we just slowly expanded his radius, and now he can comfortably go all the way to the outskirts of town and back. Most of that without a gps, which I think was uncomfortable at first, but it was a really great way to stretch his boundaries. AND, now I can talk to him like a local "Oh, that shop is on 44th street and Camelback...", and he'll have an idea of where that is and in what direction it is from where he's currently standing. I know when I was over there visiting him, just sitting as a passenger was bewildering. No idea what direction we were going, where we were etc. It was helpful too that my retired parents live nearby, so sometimes if my mother was nearby, and he needed to go somewhere unfamiliar and farther away, she could go with him to navigate - and maybe some comments about American driving, which is easier to hear from someone not your spouse sometimes. ;)

Sometimes he wishes for a little taste of home, but as we've been looking there are a LOT of things which have come over. For example, we now have Crunchy Nut Cornflakes - his favorite breakfast cereal (and Weetabix has been here a while too). The flagship Fry's (Kroger) grocery store around here in the rich side of town has a relatively large section of actually imported British foods. Treacle, and squash and some sort of lemon spread stuff, "real" chocolate, spotted #######...just about all the weird things I've ever heard of. Not to mention the ex-pat we found who runs his own import shop, where we can get BACON. *drool* On the other hand, I've introduced him to many new foods which are new favorites!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.