Zami

HELP!! :) How do I get my originals back?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

We finally got the (en forma literal) Birth Certificate and Police Certificate right before the interview in Honduras and were unable to make copies.

They took the originals and did not give us copies back. I'd made copies of all the other originals and they took everything... copies AND originals.

The only originals returned to us were for me (the petitioner) and I think that was because they didn't need them in the first place.

ANYWAY, how do I get copies of the Birth Certificate and Police Certificate for the AOS now? Maybe I don't need to send in copies of the stuff Customs and Immigration already have? I emailed the US Embassy in Tegus (they took them), and the NVC about 5 days ago... but have not yet received a response. I want to file the AOS next week... we have 90 days (K1), he's been here for 6 days and we'll be married on July 9. Maybe I should call the nice people at Houston, TX customs and beg for copies of these from the packet we gave them?

I'm sorta panicky about this... now that he's here... I don't want them to take him away! And he CANNOT go back to Honduras for more originals. Not for a couple years anyway... And certainly not until the AOS is approved and he has his green card.

First, relax. Second, relax. Third, the marriage HAS to take place 90 days after arriving in the US. AOS has no real time limit other than if you wait unit you are marriged for two years you may no longer qualify for AOS from a K-1 but you must adjust from a CR-1 visa and file the I-130 form with the AOS, but that is a whole other discussion.

For us, the AOS interview was easy and the only documents she looked at or kept was the marriage certificate. I let her look at the original, but gave her a certified copy. I never give up my originals unless I must and they have to tell me why they need the original and not a copy. You will not see any of the documents you have handed over to USCIS as it is part of your file now. I would see if your soon to be husband can get his birth certificate from the US as it is need in order to file AOS. The police certificate is not needed anymore as far as I know. It is only to prove you are not a criminal and therefore are eligible for a visa.

Do not worry as you have time to get this all sorted out.

Good luck,

Dave

You don't need the police cert but you do need the Birth cert. You can probably get a new one from the Honduran embassy in the US or something like that. You need to find the way that people can get their BCs if they are not in Honduras - there must be a way.

You are right that he cannot go back to get more originals. The K-1 is a one-time use visa. However, once you get this sorted and apply for AOS, he will be able to travel with either his GC or his temporary travel permission (Advance Parole) in a few months, not years. Relax and good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This happened to us with my wife's Colombian Birth Certificate. The embassy kept the original at the K-1 interview, and as neither of us had ever immigrated to the US before, we assumed that it would be returned at POE after the sealed envelope was opened (so we didn't think to ask for it back at the end of the K-1 interview.) We were wrong...

We had her family get another certified copy and send it to us before we filed for AOS. Does your fiance have any family in Honduras that could do this for him?

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

I want to add that once you get the new Birth certificate, KEEP IT for your records. You only need to send a copy for AOS. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I want to add that once you get the new Birth certificate, KEEP IT for your records. You only need to send a copy for AOS. Good luck.

I'll add that my wife had them send 3 copies, just in case. Minimal cost, backup certified copies.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.