11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hello ,

Any one can please explain what the hell is priority date ? my wife priority date is 25 feb 2011 , any one knows its is going to how much time time or how many years waiting game ?

i got a letter from NVC and case number is assigned to my wife , my wife was born in kuwait does it matter if u r born some where else or it matter from where you belong coz in nvc letter it says place of birth kuwait ,

just confused , any one explains will be really appreciated

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

hello ,

Any one can please explain what the hell is priority date ? my wife priority date is 25 feb 2011 , any one knows its is going to how much time time or how many years waiting game ?

i got a letter from NVC and case number is assigned to my wife , my wife was born in kuwait does it matter if u r born some where else or it matter from where you belong coz in nvc letter it says place of birth kuwait ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_date

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/glossary/glossary_1363.html#curr

You are getting a good one! LOL dancin5hr.gif

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

hello ,

i got a letter from NVC and case number is assigned to my wife , my wife was born in kuwait does it matter if u r born some whete else or it matter from where you belong coz in nvc letter it says place of birth kuwait ,

[/]

Calm (the hell) down. Cases are filed and are placed in priority of the dates received. You will have about a 2-3 year wait before your priority date will become current...hopefully sooner.

It matters where you are born or a resident of... Some counties have a large flow of people being petitioned to the US and their flow must be controlled. Kuwait isnt one of the countries who has the overflow issue and your wife is in the standard category with most other countries.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

RICARDO4EVA2

can you please tell me what is that standard category , i am trying to find other guys who are from kuwait too , can you please tell me is there yearly visas for countries

one stupid question , lets say if there are certain amount of visas to be issues to LPR in kuwait and there is not enough applicants does it mean i can get visa or i still need to wait , this priority stuff is confusing for me even though i did my little research still little confusing ,

does it mean i will have wait for certain years or if visa is there i can get it no matter it can be any time ........ my wife was born in kuwait but she lives in pakistan now

but her country of changeability is kuwait .......

i think nvc will for sure put her in kuwait visa category , please correct me if i am wrong

thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

RICARDO4EVA2

can you please tell me what is that standard category , i am trying to find other guys who are from kuwait too , can you please tell me is there yearly visas for countries

one stupid question , lets say if there are certain amount of visas to be issues to LPR in kuwait and there is not enough applicants does it mean i can get visa or i still need to wait , this priority stuff is confusing for me even though i did my little research still little confusing ,

does it mean i will have wait for certain years or if visa is there i can get it no matter it can be any time ........ my wife was born in kuwait but she lives in pakistan now

but her country of changeability is kuwait .......

i think nvc will for sure put her in kuwait visa category , please correct me if i am wrong

thanks

There is a fixed number of visas available every year in each visa category. Everyone in the world who wants a visa waits in the same line in order of their priority date. The people with the oldest priority dates are standing at the front of the line. When they calculate the cutoff date they first look at how many visa numbers they are ready to issue, they count off that many people in the front of the line, and the priority date of the first person who isn't going to get a visa number that month becomes the current cutoff date in the visa bulletin.

The law also limits the maximum number of people who can get a visa from any single country to no more than 7% of the total. When they count off people for visa numbers, if the number of people from a specific country ends up being more than 7% of the total then that country is said to be "oversubscribed". They stop counting people from that country when they hit 7%, and the rest of the people from that country get moved into a separate line for that country. The cutoff date for the oversubscribed country will be older than the cutoff date for everyone else.

Kuwait is not oversubscribed. Neither is Pakistan. People from those countries wait in the same line as most of the people in the rest of the world - what the visa bulletin calls "All chargeability areas".

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Thank you for your decent reply it really helped me , one last question do we know what is normal time ? how many years ? i know u will be thinking that i am rushing things out which i am not just out of curiosity, i heard its like 2 years my priority date is feb25 2011 ........

by the way what is normal time for pakistan and kuwait ?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

@OP,

You've been around VJ for four years, what's your status? Are you a USC, LPR or what? I ask because it matters when bringing your wife to the US. If you are a US Citizen then there is no waiting for a Visa to be available but if you are a LPR then the priority date comes in to play.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
thanks for your reply , i am LPR i have 2 years more to be citizen in end of 2013 , September 2013 i will be eligible for citizen ship , if world does not come to and end 21st December 2012 heheheehhee

Looks like your wife falls into Family Preference Category F2A, The current Priority Date for F2A is March 22, 2008 which means you can expect just about a 3 year wait for a Visa Number to be available for her (so the end of 2014).

If you naturalize before her Priority becomes current then you can contact USCIS and tell them to upgrade her from Family Preference to Immediate Relative of US Citizen so her wait for a Visa Number will end as Visa Numbers are always available for Spouses & Children under 21 of US Citizens.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.