Sign in to follow this  
Liz_D

Which is faster - CR-1 or K-1?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I am trying to find out which type of visa will help my fiance come to the US faster. We plan to get married here in Korea if we can get the paperwork he needs. It is turning out to be a challenge. I thought a spouse visa would be faster for him but I am hearing otherwise. Most people tell me that the fiance visa is actually faster. Is this true? We are planning to get married on the 24th and I have to leave the 1st week of July. I am 6 weeks pregnant and would love to have him home in time for the birth. Any advice or suggestions?

It varies. There are no guarantees. Whichever you choose, it is possible that USCIS will decide to process the one you didn't choose quicker.

Right now, looking at the timelines and stats, K1 looks to be the quicker option, maybe. But it is not necessarily such a big difference that you want to base your plans on it. Processing times can change from one month to the next.

If you can't get the paperwork sorted to get married, then obviously the K1 will be your easy choice.

Whichever route you choose, apply as soon as is possible. Don't get too optimistic about him being in the US by the birth, but it's not impossible. The most important thing will be for you to stay ahead of the process, know what is required of you, complete forms accurately the first time, and send everything at the earliest possible opportunity.

Personally, as I don't think the K1 will guarantee that he is here in time, I would still try to get married in Korea this month if it is possible. Because then I would at least know that I would not have to be worrying about getting married, another round of forms, providing evidences, and paying $1000 at the same time I had a newborn. That's just my personal opinion.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am trying to find out which type of visa will help my fiance come to the US faster. We plan to get married here in Korea if we can get the paperwork he needs. It is turning out to be a challenge. I thought a spouse visa would be faster for him but I am hearing otherwise. Most people tell me that the fiance visa is actually faster. Is this true? We are planning to get married on the 24th and I have to leave the 1st week of July. I am 6 weeks pregnant and would love to have him home in time for the birth. Any advice or suggestions?

OP check out my timeline for an idea about how long the process for an immigrant visa takes. Note the entire process would have been much faster if I'd gotten my documents together sooner than I did. Personally, if I were you I'd try and stay in Korea a little bit longer and go the spousal visa route. Your husband can then travel with you, when you leave. This of course may not be an option for you, but if it is you really should consider it IMHO.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

DCF not an option for you ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I called the embassy today and the person I spoke with didn't think I could file with the embassy because I am leaving so soon. I will still call tomorrow and try to find out for sure.

The key is the current residency status and how long you've been there. Nothing stops you from leaving once you've filed. Would the foreign spouse remain in Korea and interview there?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I called the embassy today and the person I spoke with didn't think I could file with the embassy because I am leaving so soon. I will still call tomorrow and try to find out for sure.

See, the last time you posted about this, I had suggested that you STAY there until the I-130 had been approved, but as time passes, things go that-a-way..

Still suggest you stay there until the I-130 is approved.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

See, the last time you posted about this, I had suggested that you STAY there until the I-130 had been approved, but as time passes, things go that-a-way..

Still suggest you stay there until the I-130 is approved.

And at that time I also asked you, Darnell, why you thought it necessary to stay until petition approval. You didn't answer. Nevertheless, in DCF filings, there is usually very little time between filing and petition approval. In some cases, it's on the spot petition approval.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Good Morning, Push - wazabi ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.