Arthur & Anna

Unusual K1 Visa purpose

26 posts in this topic

I understood everything, your wedding dream and all. The thing is, when she applied for a tourist visa and DID say that you two wanted to get married, for them that was an intent of fraud. That's how they are, all over the world.. I got denied twice just trying to visit my honey and meet my in-laws BEFORE the wedding. The honest people really pay for other's mistake and bad behavior. I don't need to add anything to the previous posts, they're right. Good luck.

03/17/2011- Mailed K1 petition

03/25/2011- Email and text NOA1, routed to VSC

03/25/2011- Check cashed

07/05/2011- NOA2, USCIS website, text and email!
10/04/2011- Interview, APPROVED!
10/23/2011- POE - Dulles
11/08/2011- WEDDING!
11/15/2011- Applied for SSN
01/18/2012- AOS package sent
01/24/2012- NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP
01/25/2012- Check cashed for AOS
02/16/2012- AOS & EAD biometrics
02/13/2012- AOS case transferred to CSC
02/21/2012- AOS application received at CSC
03/15/2012- EAD/AP cards approved
03/26/2012- EAD/AP combo card received
07/30/2012- Service Request on AOS, past 6 months mark...
08/28/2012- Ombudsman & Senator contacted, past 7 months mark...
09/04/2012- AOS Approved!
09/10/2012- GC in hand!

08/13/2014- Mailed I-751(ROC) package to VSC

08/15/2014- Delivered

08/18/2014- NOA1/Letter of Extension

08/20/2014- Check cashed

09/17/2014- Biometrics

02/18/2015- Card Production Ordered/ Approved!

ejXGm5.pngSDeHm4.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be fierce! Be consistent, know no bounds, take pleasure in the little things, make love your sole focus, don't submit until you have absolutely no way out........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I understood everything, your wedding dream and all. The thing is, when she applied for a tourist visa and DID say that you two wanted to get married, for them that was an intent of fraud. That's how they are, all over the world.. I got denied twice just trying to visit my honey and meet my in-laws BEFORE the wedding. The honest people really pay for other's mistake and bad behavior. I don't need to add anything to the previous posts, they're right. Good luck.

Thank you for that, and for understanding. It's actually quite nice to be understood and have this forum to share and support each other. I wish you good luck as well.

Thank you for that, and for understanding. It's actually quite nice to be understood and have this forum to share and support each other. I wish you good luck as well.

No problem, it's really nice that we have this website, since we're still waiting for our noa2, support it's really what we need, helps with the wait. And share experiences and information its also very good :thumbs: Thankyou :)

03/17/2011- Mailed K1 petition

03/25/2011- Email and text NOA1, routed to VSC

03/25/2011- Check cashed

07/05/2011- NOA2, USCIS website, text and email!
10/04/2011- Interview, APPROVED!
10/23/2011- POE - Dulles
11/08/2011- WEDDING!
11/15/2011- Applied for SSN
01/18/2012- AOS package sent
01/24/2012- NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP
01/25/2012- Check cashed for AOS
02/16/2012- AOS & EAD biometrics
02/13/2012- AOS case transferred to CSC
02/21/2012- AOS application received at CSC
03/15/2012- EAD/AP cards approved
03/26/2012- EAD/AP combo card received
07/30/2012- Service Request on AOS, past 6 months mark...
08/28/2012- Ombudsman & Senator contacted, past 7 months mark...
09/04/2012- AOS Approved!
09/10/2012- GC in hand!

08/13/2014- Mailed I-751(ROC) package to VSC

08/15/2014- Delivered

08/18/2014- NOA1/Letter of Extension

08/20/2014- Check cashed

09/17/2014- Biometrics

02/18/2015- Card Production Ordered/ Approved!

ejXGm5.pngSDeHm4.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be fierce! Be consistent, know no bounds, take pleasure in the little things, make love your sole focus, don't submit until you have absolutely no way out........

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Oh, thank you. So, she could receive a SSN without even being a resident? hmm.. Also, can I ask why a joint bank account would be good to have here? (and a bank would accept her without being a resident?)

Thank you for your help!

K-1 visa holders are allowed to apply - is best about 2 to 3 weeks after hitting USA dirt. 'Resident' is not the right label, here.

Joint Bank Account is useful for LATER, when you need to file an I-130 (is evidence of a bonafinde marriage)

but is also useful when/if you guys need to wire transfer $$ into the USA from her accounts in Russia. With SSN in hand, show passport at bank, get added.

Ultimately, when file US Tax Returns and are due a refund, can have the refund direct-deposited into the joint account.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey, I'm brand new here, so please excuse me if I make this post in the wrong place.

I have questions, if there is anyone who's been through this unusual situation before. My fiancee in Russia, is waiting for her interview schedule date. (the petition has been approved and sent to embassy in Moscow) We plan to be married here in the U.S., and then (even before adjustment of status), I plan on moving back with her in Russia.

Kind of a waste of time and money, as already stated about.

My questions:

1) After we're married, can she leave the U.S. with the same K1 visa? Or will she need something special again? (We don't plan on coming back for at least a year)

She will need a Spouse Visa, either CR-1 or DCF to enter the US again. Read the Guides and stickies on those forums.

2) If anyone has experience here, do I need to make sure my passport will not expire before I return? Will the U.S deny my re-entry if it's expired?

Oh Yes or you will be turned away.

Thank you!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Unfortunately, given what you want to do, i.e. get married and have your spouse meet your family and see the US, and then move to Russia there really isn't another option other than the K-1. A lot of expense and hassle to be able to have the wedding in the US only because she is from a none VWP country. You're pretty far along in the process so no need to change things now, but for others considering something simiar, getting married in the Caribbean somewhere and having friends/family attend is one option that avoids the expensive K-1. Obviously you couldn't travel in the US afterwards though. Wish there was an easier way for you two. Good luck with the interview.

As for the passport issue, the US won't necessarily "deny" your re-entry but you will have issues with being in a foreign country with an expired passport and this will come up when you try to leave that country if not before. Generally they want your passport to be good for 6 months beyond the date of your visa, but that depends on the length of the visa stay allowed. You will probably have issues even getting in to russia if your passport is going to expire while you are there unless you're going on some kind of resident or long term visa. If so, then you can get your passport renewed at the nearest US Consulate. Check out the Consulate website that is nearest to where you will be living.

Edited by Casprd

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It was just our dream from the beginning, she could meet my family, we could have our "honeymoon" here in western Montana, Glacier Nat. Park, etc.. something I could offer her. Just personal reasons, which should be of no concern to any government agency.

In that case you got to go thru K1 process - coz if you are going to reside out of US this would be just waste of money.

Just to add, you can reach out to embassy in Russia, while you are there and they will re-new your passport there.

You should never be with expired passport during anytime of your stay out of the US.

I would not recommend anyone to be with expired passport when they are in foreign country.

Edited by Harsh_77

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

2) If anyone has experience here, do I need to make sure my passport will not expire before I return? Will the U.S deny my re-entry if it's expired?

Thank you!

Yes, by all means make sure your Passport doesn't expire while you are gone. If there is less than six months validity you might have a problem getting the Russian VISA... The US would not refuse you entry with expired passport but you might experience trouble with Airlines an expired passport.

which is another issue. I "get" your plans to return to Russia, does Russia agree with your plans? Its not a VISA free country and there is some effort required to obtain the VISA and your residency documents if you plan to stay there.

You will probably get better country specific information in the RUB Forum, thats Regional Forum Russia Ukraine and Belarus

Timeline

K-1 visa holders are allowed to apply - is best about 2 to 3 weeks after hitting USA dirt. 'Resident' is not the right label, here.

Joint Bank Account is useful for LATER, when you need to file an I-130 (is evidence of a bonafinde marriage)

but is also useful when/if you guys need to wire transfer $$ into the USA from her accounts in Russia. With SSN in hand, show passport at bank, get added.

Ultimately, when file US Tax Returns and are due a refund, can have the refund direct-deposited into the joint account.

This is very good to know, and I appreciate the "heads up" on this in advance. Seems there are always things one may not think of until too late. Many thanks!

We will appreciate any experienced advice with matters we may not have thought of yet.. from anyone here.

Timeline

Unfortunately, given what you want to do, i.e. get married and have your spouse meet your family and see the US, and then move to Russia there really isn't another option other than the K-1. A lot of expense and hassle to be able to have the wedding in the US only because she is from a none VWP country. You're pretty far along in the process so no need to change things now, but for others considering something simiar, getting married in the Caribbean somewhere and having friends/family attend is one option that avoids the expensive K-1. Obviously you couldn't travel in the US afterwards though. Wish there was an easier way for you two. Good luck with the interview.

As for the passport issue, the US won't necessarily "deny" your re-entry but you will have issues with being in a foreign country with an expired passport and this will come up when you try to leave that country if not before. Generally they want your passport to be good for 6 months beyond the date of your visa, but that depends on the length of the visa stay allowed. You will probably have issues even getting in to russia if your passport is going to expire while you are there unless you're going on some kind of resident or long term visa. If so, then you can get your passport renewed at the nearest US Consulate. Check out the Consulate website that is nearest to where you will be living.

Thank you! Good suggestion for others to marry in a non-visa country, if their plans are similar. Thanks for the support with the interview. Yeah, I'm aware of the 6 month passport rule for travel visas and such.. mine is good thro8ugh some of 2013, but I will look to renew it anyway.. in case I can't make it back before then. And also very good to know about the local consulate being able to renew it in Russia. :)

In that case you got to go thru K1 process - coz if you are going to reside out of US this would be just waste of money.

Just to add, you can reach out to embassy in Russia, while you are there and they will re-new your passport there.

You should never be with expired passport during anytime of your stay out of the US.

I would not recommend anyone to be with expired passport when they are in foreign country.

Good advice..thank you!

Timeline

Yes, by all means make sure your Passport doesn't expire while you are gone. If there is less than six months validity you might have a problem getting the Russian VISA... The US would not refuse you entry with expired passport but you might experience trouble with Airlines an expired passport.

which is another issue. I "get" your plans to return to Russia, does Russia agree with your plans? Its not a VISA free country and there is some effort required to obtain the VISA and your residency documents if you plan to stay there.

You will probably get better country specific information in the RUB Forum, thats Regional Forum Russia Ukraine and Belarus

Yes, I'm aware of the work involved with obtaining a temporary residency permit in Russia. (Until I qualify for citizenship) ..and VERY good to know about the other forum.. I will check it out.. many thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.