bigtailbear

Got REF, need some help...

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Recently, I got the REF mail as following:

"REQUIREMENT THAT PETITIONER AND BENEFICIARY HAVE MET IN PERSON: It mus be established that the petitioner and beneficiary have met in person and/ or have been in each other's physical presence at any time during the two years immediately preceding the filing of this petition.

Last Personal Meeting-Submit evidence of meeting the beneficiary in person within the two-year period preceding the filing of the petition (3/32/2009 TO 3/23/2011). Primary evidence may include airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day, and year), copies of passport pages that show the identification page and admission stamps, military order(s), letter from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help the USCIS to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary with the two years. Secondary evidence may include film-dated photographs of the petitioner and beneficiary together. The following DOES NOT constitute evidence of meeting: disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards. "

I have several questions:

1. I did submit the copies of passport pages which show the identification page and admission stamps. However, I got my citizenship on February 2011 and I used my Chinese passport for traveling. Do I need to do notary for it?

2. I did not keep the airline tickets stubs and all my tickets were booked by travel agents. They sent me the receipts and e-tickets via emails. Can those receipts and e-tickets be counted as evidence?

3. My fiancée and I did not take many photos together. In some of the pictures(took when we visited SHANGHAI EXPO last year), she was wearing sunglasses. Can those photos be counted as evidence?

4. Last question... During the time I visited my fiancée, She and I had a 3-day trip in China. I saved the hotel and the airline ticket receipts. I did not do translation for those receipts and I am going to do word-for-word English translations. Do I need to do notary for the translations?

I am kind of nervous and I keep calling uscis but do know which option shall I choose...

sorry guys...I have so many questions...If you can help or give me some advice, I really appreciate it.

03/21/11 I-129F sent

03/23/11 NOA1

06/15/11 RFE mailed

06/17/11 RFE received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

"REQUIREMENT THAT PETITIONER AND BENEFICIARY HAVE MET IN PERSON: It mus be established that the petitioner .

Last Personal Meeting-Submit evidence of meeting the beneficiary in person within the two-year period preceding the filing of the petition (3/32/2009 TO 3/23/2011). Primary evidence may include airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day, and year), copies of passport pages that show the identification page and admission stamps, military order(s), letter from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help the USCIS to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary with the two years. Secondary evidence may include film-dated photographs of the petitioner and beneficiary together. The following DOES NOT constitute evidence of meeting: disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards. "

1. I did submit the copies of passport pages which show the identification page and admission stamps. However, I got my citizenship on February 2011 and I used my Chinese passport for traveling. Do I need to do notary for it?

2. I did not keep the airline tickets stubs and all my tickets were booked by travel agents. They sent me the receipts and e-tickets via emails. Can those receipts and e-tickets be counted as evidence? Not as good as the actual boarding stubs as they proved you actually travelled, but I would send them anyway.

3. My fiancée and I did not take many photos together. In some of the pictures(took when we visited SHANGHAI EXPO last year), she was wearing sunglasses. Can those photos be counted as evidence? Yes send photos as secondary evidence

4. Last question... During the time I visited my fiancée, She and I had a 3-day trip in China. I saved the hotel and the airline ticket receipts. I did not do translation for those receipts and I am going to do word-for-word English translations. Do I need to do notary for the translations?

I am kind of nervous and I keep calling uscis but do know which option shall I choose...

sorry guys...I have so many questions...If you can help or give me some advice, I really appreciate it.

Sorry, I don't know about the notary, but I would send as much proof as you can... you have plenty, but now just give them as much to fill in any gaps as possible to build a picture of your visits. Best of luck.

Edited by Andie

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Timeline

Just called uscis...and the representative asked me to find an attorney and she could not answer my questions ( i did not even ask the questions...)

Andie, thank you for your reply. As long as the REF does not ask for notary, I think word-for-word translation for those documents are enough... actually, I have already submitted the things they ask for (except the translation and film-date photos). Sony's camera does not have the function to show date. I have to use the software to put the date on...

03/21/11 I-129F sent

03/23/11 NOA1

06/15/11 RFE mailed

06/17/11 RFE received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I hope you got the evidence to show them the proof. what you need do is to organize the documents to make clear that you were with your fiancee. They don't do investigation to check it. they want to get the documents and evidences up front. In some cases, you should have to explain in writings.

K-1 Time Line

Service Center:_California Service Center

Consulate: _Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: _2011-03-20

I-129F NOA1:_ 2011-03-30

I-129F NOA2:_2011-06-18

NVC Received: _2011-07-19

NVC Left:_2011-07-20

Consulate Received:_2011-07-25

Packet 3 Received: _2011-07-28

Packet 3 Sent: _2011-07-29

Packet 4 Received:_ 2011-08-09

Interview Date: _ 2011-08-24

Interview Result:_ Approved(After 3 weeks AP)

Visa Received:_2011-09-21

US Entry:_@ JFK 2011-11-16

Marriage: _2011-12-20

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed: _2012-02-07

NOA Date: _2012-02-13

Bio. Appt. Notice recieved_2012-02-17

Bio. Appt.:2012-03-12@ 8:00 AM in Columbus OH

Bio Done:2012-03-05 WALK IN- Columbus OH

State ID: 2012-03-05

DL Permit: 2012-03-08

AOS Transfer: 2012-03-14

AOS Touched @ USCIS: 2012-03-21

EAD/AP Approved & Card Producton: 2012-04-03

EAD/AP on Hand:2012-04-11

AOS_RFE: 2012-09-28

RFE Sent: 2012-11-09

Timeline

I hope you got the evidence to show them the proof. what you need do is to organize the documents to make clear that you were with your fiancee. They don't do investigation to check it. they want to get the documents and evidences up front. In some cases, you should have to explain in writings.

Ye, I did make a checklist and use post-it sticker to indicate what is what...do not know what's wrong with my application...That's why I am really nervous.

Edited by bigtailbear

03/21/11 I-129F sent

03/23/11 NOA1

06/15/11 RFE mailed

06/17/11 RFE received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This one confuses me, you entered China using a Chinese Passport. Is it standard for China Immigration Inspection personnel to stamp passports of Chinese citizens?

2. I did not keep the airline tickets stubs and all my tickets were booked by travel agents. They sent me the receipts and e-tickets via emails. Can those receipts and e-tickets be counted as evidence?

Those only show you bought a ticket, not that you actually went. The actual boarding passes (which by your own admission, you do not have) are proof you actually showed up for the flight.

3. My fiancée and I did not take many photos together. In some of the pictures(took when we visited SHANGHAI EXPO last year), she was wearing sunglasses. Can those photos be counted as evidence?

Photos are secondary evidence. The photos you describe can be used and should be submitted.

Submit copies of the original receipts and keep the original receipts. Whether or not you translate them is up to you.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

This one confuses me, you entered China using a Chinese Passport. Is it standard for China Immigration Inspection personnel to stamp passports of Chinese citizens?

Sorry for making you confused...I got my U.S. citizenship on Feb 15th 2011. What I mean is that I used the Chinese passport went back to China last year(2010). And they do stamp Chinese passports whenever you go in or out of Chinese border.

By the way, I keep one airline ticket stub from my last trip. However, the flight is one-stop flight and the stub is used for travelling from Shanghai to Guangzhou. The flight number is exactly the same as the receipt I got from the travel agent.

Edited by bigtailbear

03/21/11 I-129F sent

03/23/11 NOA1

06/15/11 RFE mailed

06/17/11 RFE received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Sorry for making you confused...I got my U.S. citizenship on Feb 15th 2011. What I mean is that I used the Chinese passport went back to China last year(2010). And they do stamp Chinese passports whenever you go in or out of Chinese border.

By the way, I keep one airline ticket stub from my last trip. However, the flight is one-stop flight and the stub is used for travelling from Shanghai to Guangzhou. The flight number is exactly the same as the receipt I got from the travel agent.

Maybe you need to resend the copy of stamps in your Chinese passport and give an explanation of why you travelled on that passport with information about your US Citizenship only occurring in February 2011. In other words providing a timeline of events with attachments of copies of itinerary showing all flights (attach ticket stubs for those you have) and send dated photos with details of where they were taken etc. People in the photos (fiancee's family etc). Could be that they want clarification of the information and are confused by what you have sent? Build an explanation and case from the ground up.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Flight itineraries do not constitute primary evidence as they may be created by anyone in MS Word. Primary evidence for a flight actually taken place are boarding passes. Try to send them copies of boarding passes

Copies of Chinese passport visa stamps with explanation should be sufficient. Just make sure that this is clear and evident that this is YOUR passport,even chinese

Pics do not constitute primary evidence. You have to be able to provide above evidence. Pics are good supplement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Try not to worry too much. I think if you can print something showing you paid for the tickets, including the date of the flights, and if you give them those pictures, it should be enough. Do you have receipts showing where and when you stayed when you were in China? That would definitely be good evidence. Also, I'm not sure if this is possible, but maybe you could contact the airline you used to see if they can give you a copy of your old boarding pass.

11-30-08 Met on christianpenpals.com
05-27-10 Met for 1st time in person in Philippines
06-02-10 Proposed...She said "yes"!!!
K1:
07-12-10 NOA1 sent

07-17-10 NOA1 received
01-04-11 NOA2 - Finally!!!
01-07-11 NVC received
01-10-11 NVC sent to consulate/embassy (Manila)
01-10-11 NOA2 hardcopy (mail)
01-12-11 Embassy received
01-31-11 Medical Day 1
02-01-11 Medical Day 2: Passed!!!
02-04-11 Interview: Approved! (Thank you, Lord!)
02-10-11 2GO received visa from embassy
02-14-11 Visa in hand (picked up at 2GO branch)
02-17-11 CFO sticker for passport
03-10-11 Arrived in U.S. with my fiancee
05-14-11 Wedding

AOS:
06-13-11 Filed I-485
06-21-11 NOA 1 (Mobile/Email)
07-07-11 Transfer date (California Service Center)
07-22-11 Biometrics
08-12-11 Approved!
08-18-11 Approval and green card received in mail

Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart. Wait, I say, on the LORD!"

Romans 8:18 "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."

Timeline

"REQUIREMENT THAT PETITIONER AND BENEFICIARY HAVE MET IN PERSON: It mus be established that the petitioner and beneficiary have met in person and/ or have been in each other's physical presence at any time during the two years immediately preceding the filing of this petition.

First establish that you were there; airline tickets, boarding pass, copy of your bank statement showing purchases made with your credit card. Next establish that you were their with her; hotel receipt showing both of your names and photos (if you had taken any). Good luck!!!

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Don't worry I had the same RFE a few weeks ago as well. I submitted our passports with some additional hotel information. I also called the bus company were they had her records for coming to the US. She wrote a letter explaining the additional information and we got approved about 6 days after it was submitted. We didn't send anything notarized anything! Dont waste your time calling USIC your just going to get upset and the run around. It's not as bad as you think. But email me if you have any question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Try not to worry too much. I think if you can print something showing you paid for the tickets, including the date of the flights, and if you give them those pictures, it should be enough. Do you have receipts showing where and when you stayed when you were in China? That would definitely be good evidence. Also, I'm not sure if this is possible, but maybe you could contact the airline you used to see if they can give you a copy of your old boarding pass.

I agree. Try to contact airline. I would try to obtain copy of boarding passes or some official document from the airline that you actually boarded the flight both ways.

Timeline

hi, we have the same situation. we also received RFE and it's because we lack the letter of intent to marry and requirement that petitioner and beneficiary met in person. i already sent the documents we lack to my fiance(petitioner) in hawaii. another similarity we have is that my fiance became american citizen only last march 2011.

now my question is( to those who can answer): do you think the USCIS might question my fiance(the petitioner) because he is planning to pass his original philippine passport(he has to send it to USCIS coz the passport stamps are in it and it's an evidence that he really went to visit me last february 2011 which is a proof that we met in person within the last 2 years before filing K1 visa.)? by the way he has a new passport when he became an american citizen that's why he is thinking it's ok for him to pass his original philippine passport(instead of a photocopy of it) since the USCIS will also return it afterwards? do you think it's the right thing to do? thanks in advance.. :)

-met in year 2001 classmates since 1st year college

-in a relationship since year 2002

-engaged= February 14, 2011

-fiance' became an american citizen March 2011

-FILED PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) March 17, 2011

-March 21, 2011 USCIS received I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.