Bad_Daddy

Alaskans to get "mo oil $$$"

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

lol...trust me, getting a Walmart is a big deal up here.

http://acsfuelsdillingham.com/map.html <---- That's were we are living atm. That pic shows probably 75% of the town. Two grocery stores...if you can call them that, a hardware store, a NAPA, etc... it's a total sh*t hole. People here would give their left nut for a Walmart or anything like it.

Just one nut? You don't want it bad enough.

Timeline

Juneau is more or less an island...not much roads and it's right between the mountains and the ocean. If they paid her cost to move up, more than likely she works for the native hospital there or the government. The good thing about Juneau is that it has year around barge service, and they just got a Walmart there not too long ago. It's way better than here (Dillingham).

She's a PA and some hospital there. I saw they have mountains and a ocean or something so at least she can be happy paddling around in her Kayak and hiking the mountains and since she is a tree hugger I am sure there are trees nearby she can have fun with. She has asked me and my babe to come visit but I told her that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot for me to do there.

Filed: Timeline

She's a PA and some hospital there. I saw they have mountains and a ocean or something so at least she can be happy paddling around in her Kayak and hiking the mountains and since she is a tree hugger I am sure there are trees nearby she can have fun with. She has asked me and my babe to come visit but I told her that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot for me to do there.

Kayaking is fun.

She works for the native hospital there most likely. That's one of the sister hospitals to the one my wife works for here. Juneau has those helicopter site seeing tours that takes you to the glaciers, up above the mountains, over the islands, etc... and it has killer ocean fishing there for salmon, halibut, rock cod, red snapper, octopus, pacific eel, shrimp, and crab. Other than that though....not sure it has much more. Boating is the big thing there. Soffyia would have a better take on it then me. Iv'e visited there once, but she used to live there.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Hey, that was nothing. You should have seen the celebration when the McDonald's opened there in the 1980's.

:lol:

They actually had a priest or reverend of some sort "Blessing the Super Walmart" when it first opened up in Wasilla. I read it in the paper and I was like ... ####### ? :wacko:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I lived in Juneau as a staging area for my time in Asia for 10 years. It's a beautiful, absolutely fascinating place, but there are no roads in or out, and that was a pain for me. Also, in the winter, downtown practically shut down coz the tourist season ended. It's a very outdoorsy, tree-huggy place, and it does have an Native clinic as well as Bartlett Hospital, so nurses would be in high demand there.

Up there, imported labor is common, so moving nurses, teachers, engineers, etc. is par for the course, although, in the 1980's, they started several programs to insure that Natives had more of a shot at being qualified for those positions. If tex's sister went out to the boonies to work, she'd make a lot more money, bennies, and have even more status. But who wants to have to mail order underwear and window curtains like I had to when I was there, and there was no Walmart yet, and that's what you have to do in the field.

She works for the native hospital there most likely. That's one of the sister hospitals to the one my wife works for here. Juneau has those helicopter site seeing tours that takes you to the glaciers, up above the mountains, over the islands, etc... and it has killer ocean fishing there for salmon, halibut, rock cod, red snapper, octopus, pacific eel, shrimp, and crab. Other than that though....not sure it has much more. Boating is the big thing there. Soffyia would have a better take on it then me. Iv'e visited there once, but she used to live there.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I'd strongly suggest you go just because it's not Texas. When I was there, I was visited by one of my brothers who hates to even get his hands dirty. He disappeared to the beach at Echo Cove every day for a week because he found the serenity he wasn't getting in his stressful job back east. My dad found it to be just the right mix for him between the city and the wilderness, and that's about right.

You should go, seriously. I think everyone should go just once, it's that great a place to visit. You can take a dinner cruise to Glacier Bay, take a helicopter ride to walk on the Mendenhall glacier, and take the tramway up to Mt. Roberts. Fishing is fantastic. We used to go out after work and catch dinner for that night. On the weekends, we'd pull crab pots and have a crab fest at home. That's one thing I miss almost every day about living in Juneau, free fresh seafood and plenty of it. I also miss the slow pace of life and the clean air, but I don't miss the rain.

If yo do go, don't take a cruise, go up on the ferry thru the Inside Passage. It's not that expensive and its a great intro the the way of life there. Also, DON'T take new clothes, take old clothes and lots of jeans, or you'll stick out like a sore thumb. And, very important that you avoid using umbrellas, no matter how much it rains. Only tourists use umbrellas there. And, try hard not to walk around with your mouth hanging open because you can't believe the beauty.

Edited by Sofiyya

Timeline

I lived in Juneau as a staging area for my time in Asia for 10 years. It's a beautiful, absolutely fascinating place, but there are no roads in or out, and that was a pain for me. Also, in the winter, downtown practically shut down coz the tourist season ended. It's a very outdoorsy, tree-huggy place, and it does have an Native clinic as well as Bartlett Hospital, so nurses would be in high demand there.

Up there, imported labor is common, so moving nurses, teachers, engineers, etc. is par for the course, although, in the 1980's, they started several programs to insure that Natives had more of a shot at being qualified for those positions. If tex's sister went out to the boonies to work, she'd make a lot more money, bennies, and have even more status. But who wants to have to mail order underwear and window curtains like I had to when I was there, and there was no Walmart yet, and that's what you have to do in the field.

Bartlett hospital sounds familiar but it could be something to do with the natives. My sister also spent years in Hawaii and went to the other islands from the tourist one to work among the natives so being in the boonies is par for the course for her. She is a big tree hugger and has to have outdoorsy stuff to do. I can see her doing the native in the boonies stuff. She does love everything about the outdoors and I picture her carrying her kayak around and wearing her hiking boots. She is a Physicians Assistant and loves her job a lot also.