thetreble

Has any one ever gone back to Canada?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm interested in hearing experiences from folks who immigrated to the US and then a few years later decided to go back with their spouse to Canada. I remember there was a few of yas on here that did it.

I bugged my husband to move to Canada with me for a few years. I gave up in the last while because he was very adament about staying in New Jersey.

However, he confessed to me yesterday evening that he has been thinking about it on his own a bit lately and thinks he may enjoy the change of scenery. Of course this makes me VERY happy, but, I know it's also a tough decision to go back. I have a house here, which is the biggest thing keeping me from moving back. I also would like citizenship here just in case we do need to move back to the US.

How hard was it? Did you feel once you returned you were missing your life in the US? I've only been here for four years so while I've met some great folks, and have managed to get a decent job, I'm not necessarily stuck in my life here.

Thanks guys!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

This is one of those questions that is going to be different for every person. For me personally, I could leave the US and never look back, but because I have a good job here and elderly parents that need my support, it isn't an option for now. My wife and I have talked about this alot and we both know that eventually we will move either to China or some other country in the future. It will all depend on your ties to your community, how comfortable you and your spouse are in a different place, how much support and understanding the citizen spouse can give to the now immigrant spouse (hopefully they remember how difficult it was when the roles were reversed).

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Timeline

While I agree that everyone's experience will be different, I'm still interested in hearing if any one who has actually moved back to Canada has found it difficult.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

It double posted on me!

Edited by thetreble

My eyes filled with grit

I'd be interested to hear what people have to say too! We've talked about it...but much farther in the future.

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are planning on doing this as well, once I get my US citizenship.

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Timeline

I have nothing helpful to add but I think you should give it a try. A positive will be that your husband will gain valuable insight into what it was like when you moved down (although if I remember you had already been in the US before marrying?). I think it would be broadening for you as a couple. Houses come and go, jobs come and go, at this stage when you don't have children (should you be planning on the brats) now is a good time to make changes without having too much baggage.

All you can do is try it it and if you don't like it, you've got your US citiznship to fall back on and move back.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We're in the middle of the process right now.

I posted to your other thread about needing income to sponsor your spouse. I forget the exact wording, but it's something like, you don't have to prove that you have sufficient income, but they ask you about it anyway - I sure don't want to be denied just because we didn't have that taken care of, so I'm applying for work from New Jersey.

also, think about whether your spouse will file from here or in Canada. Here seems to take less time and the spouse can travel back and forth across the border. If the spouse applies from inside Canada, they may be denied reentry into Canada and have to start all over again. Plus, it takes longer.

One thing I'd suggest is that you get your citizenship done before you move, because if you get to Canada and want to move back here, you will have to go through US immigration all over again. Check my timeline - it's about 6 months through Newark.

Lots to think about!

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Timeline

The actual immigration part of moving back to Canada is pretty straightforward and much easier than coming to the US. You might want to wait until you get your citizenship in the US as that will give you both lots of options for future choices, although if you do move to Canada and decide to come back to the US, your husband can re-sponsor you.

While Canada does have an income requirement based upon the part of the country in which you plan to relocate, it isn't enforced for spouses as Canada believes in keeping families together. You have two ways you can accomplish the process - and both have their benefits and liabilities. You can move back to Canada and he can accompany you, getting a Temporary Resident permit at the border where you declare your intention as a returning resident. (See if you can get some sort of stamp or proof as your social benefits - health care, OAS, etc. - will require proof of returning residency date). You would then apply from within Canada for your husband to become a permanent resident of Canada. His initial temporary resident permit would be valid for 6 months and would have to be renewed from within Canada during the process. It can be done either by returning to the border or via a mailed submission. They are very unlikely to deny a renewal under your circumstances. The liabilities are that he would not be able to work or even go to school until he received 'approval in principle' which is basically that they have approved the application but haven't completed the paperwork yet. It is the longer of the two processes but works if you have a job in Canada that you are moving to and don't want to be separated.

The second process is you apply to sponsor him from outside of Canada. All applications go through the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo. The process is basically the same but you would be living in the US during this time and then when he is issued his approval, would activate his status by crossing the border into Canada and receive his PR card at his Canadian address. It has the benefits of being somewhat faster and works fine if you have to stay in the US up until a certain time.

Now, the one caveat for this is that the process may have had some changes since I used to help American Canadian couples through the immigration process to Canada before I moved to the US. I haven't heard of any major changes to the process, though, in the Canada Immigration Act so I feel pretty confident that this is still in place.

The Citizenship and Immigration Canada website is actually really good and you don't have to submit different forms at different times - they all get sent in at the same time. http://www.cic.gc.ca

I believe that Trailmix went through this process fairly recently so you might want to PM her and ask for for any insight she might be able to provide.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.