B_J

Sputum Test

76 posts in this topic

Well, we just had our medical and now we get the two month delay for the sputum test. :ranting: I know a lot of others have had this same thing happen to them and now we're joining the club. By the way, does our club have a secret handshake? :lol:

Oh well, nothing we can do except keep on keeping on. :thumbs:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wish for a negative result of the sputum test, so you can move to your interview appointment!!

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

----------------------------------------

K-1 Journey (I-129F)

09/10/2010 ----- Filing date of I-129 F

09/22/2010 ----- NOA 1

02/22/2011 ----- Case being adjudicated

02/28/2011 ----- RFE, Waiver to file 2nd K-1 petition

03/04/2011 ----- RFE reply sent

03/08/2011 ----- RFE received and being reviewed at USCIS

03/17/2011 ----- NOA2 (I-129F approved)

03/23/2011 ----- NOA2 hard copy received

03/29/2011 ----- NVC received our Case

04/04/2011 ----- NVC letter received and case forwarded to US embassy Manila

04/08/2011 ----- US Embassy Manila received our case (Consulate)

04/15/2011 ----- Paid VISA at BPI

04/16/2011 ----- Received Eligibility Letter from US Embassy Manila dated April 8, 2011

04/25/2011 ----- 1st day of Medical

04/26/2011 ----- 2nd day of Medical (I PASSED!! Thank you Lord!!)

05/13/2011 ----- Interview (221g - Case under Administrative Processing "AP")

08/12/2011 ----- Received an email from the embassy "Case is pending review by a consular officer"

----------------------------------------

My blog: All about my writings and essays

sorry about the delay...

best of luck!!!

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Timeline

We feel ya! Ours is even worse cuz my fiancee already had started medication back in March and we knew they would find the scars even though we are quite sure she didn't/doesn't have active ptb. So when she had medical the day after I left there on May 23/24 and she told the Pulomonologist she was already on the medication for almost 3 months, they advised her to complete the remaining 3 months at SLEC and then do sputum culture. Made us feel (almost) that she shouldn't have started the medication cuz then maybe she would just do sputum culture. But we decided that since she was under a Doctors instructions that it was best that she started the medication when he advised and its good SLEC accepted her 3 months treatment already with certification from her local physician. Better to be safe than sorry even if it costs some time cuz its her health we are talking about and also better to completely eradicate it from her body now than chance it to come up later in her life. When she does her sputum culture she is sure to have negative results, the SLEC pulmonologist even said so.

God bless in your fiancee's culture test that it will be negative! As I said, we (Ritchie and me) feel ya!

10/17/2008 - First Contact via message in CB

03/15/2009 - Engaged

05/15/2009 - First meeting in person (I traveled to Philippines)

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

12/08/2011 - Interview - Approved!

12/20/2011 - VISA in hand! (Never showed up in 2go online tracking!)

01/04/2012 - POE San Francisco(SFO)I met her there.

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

02/14/2012 - Married Valentine's Day 2012!

05/04/2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP packages via FedEx ground

07/26/2012 - EAD/AP Combo card received

"TeddyHoney and SqueezyBear"

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Thanks for the support everyone. :thumbs:

sis what happened?im just curious kc medical ko na next week, do you have cough that time?or do you have history of tb? i am so sorry about it,but i hope and pray its negative... best of luck

This is Benny. I don't know all the details, I just got the phone call from her telling me about the test. I'll try to get her to post more info when she gets back home.

Timeline

Thanks for the support everyone. :thumbs:

This is Benny. I don't know all the details, I just got the phone call from her telling me about the test. I'll try to get her to post more info when she gets back home.

This may help. Based on our experience and posts her on VJ, SLEC most likely saw scar or something suspicious on her lung from her Chest X-ray. They either have or will schedule her for 3 day sputum for AFB(Acid Fast Bscteria) test and then 4th day she will see a Pulmonologist who will do some explaining. I believe its her 3rd sputum sample that will be used for the Culture test. I believe they will give her a date and phone number she can call to check her results.

Most Filipinos have been exposed to ptb even they may not have the active disease, thus the scars that show in the Chest X-rays of those who have absolutely no symptoms. They do 3 day sputum for AFB to try to determine if there is active disease and then culture test to confirm either way. This is for all applicants that have medical exam at SLEC for VISA petitions, if the Chest X-ray shows anything suspicious - according to SLEC.

OP's fiancee probably had no symptoms at all but still had something show up in the X-ray.

Hope this helps a little.

Again, we pray for OP and his fiancee the negative result of the culture test!

03/15/2009 - Engaged

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

(Derrick and Ritchie)

This may help. Based on our experience and posts her on VJ, SLEC most likely saw scar or something suspicious on her lung from her Chest X-ray. They either have or will schedule her for 3 day sputum for AFB(Acid Fast Bscteria) test and then 4th day she will see a Pulmonologist who will do some explaining. I believe its her 3rd sputum sample that will be used for the Culture test. I believe they will give her a date and phone number she can call to check her results.

Most Filipinos have been exposed to ptb even they may not have the active disease, thus the scars that show in the Chest X-rays of those who have absolutely no symptoms. They do 3 day sputum for AFB to try to determine if there is active disease and then culture test to confirm either way. This is for all applicants that have medical exam at SLEC for VISA petitions, if the Chest X-ray shows anything suspicious - according to SLEC.

OP's fiancee probably had no symptoms at all but still had something show up in the X-ray.

Hope this helps a little.

Again, we pray for OP and his fiancee the negative result of the culture test!

Thanks for the info. I believe she's scheduled to go back on the 27th for the 3 day procedure. Your post really helps because I really don't know anything about this.

The real disappointing part for me is that now she'll be getting here when I go back to work, not while I'm on vacation, so this will make the adjustment more difficult. She'll have so many days now of just sitting at home while I'm at work, I just really feel bad about that part. But, there's really nothing that can be done except make the most of the situation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Ok. I read this and I am confused and hoping for some clarification. This sputum test....what is it? I looked it up and it is something they require from the fiance after they go to the medical BECAUSE they found something in their lungs on the x-ray?

I ask because my fiance has had issues with his lungs etc, and he knows there will be something that shows up on the chest x-ray...so in preparation for this he has got documentation from his GP about why this abnormality is ok and nothing to be concerned about.

But this sputum thing has got me worried. My fiance's medical is this Friday.

thank you!

K1 PROCESS:

11/1/10: NOA1 Received

4/14/11: NOA2 - Approved!!!!

8/18/11: Visa in hand

8/29/11: POE in ATLANTA!!!!

9/16/11: Married!!!

AOS PROCESS:

10/4/11: Social Security Card Arrived!

11/10/11: AOS Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

11/19/11: NOA1

12/2/11: Biometrics

12/10/11: Case transferred to the California Service Center

03/06/12: EAD approved and card production!

03/14/12: EAD card in hand!

08/04/12: Green card in production!

08/09/12: Green card in hand!

Hi Benny...

Sorry to hear about the delay in your visa journey. But please don't worry about the TB part of it. You're fiancée should be fine.

I checked the Center of Disease Control and Prevention's website and discovered that far less than one percent of the people at St. Lukes who undergo the smear tests and the eight-week culture actually turn out to have TB. St. Lukes seems to err on the side of caution...when they see anything whatsoever in the chest x-ray, they automatically order the smear tests and the eight-week culture.

Hang in there...even though the waiting is h*ll... :mellow:

So sorry to hear bout this coz we know it will cause an 8 week delay. I'll include you in my prayers. I am also anxious about finding out the results of my medical tomorrow. Just hang in there, God be with us.

Timeline

Thanks for the info. I believe she's scheduled to go back on the 27th for the 3 day procedure. Your post really helps because I really don't know anything about this.

The real disappointing part for me is that now she'll be getting here when I go back to work, not while I'm on vacation, so this will make the adjustment more difficult. She'll have so many days now of just sitting at home while I'm at work, I just really feel bad about that part. But, there's really nothing that can be done except make the most of the situation.

Off your original topic but with regards to your fiancee being home alone when she gets to the States. I'm wondering if you have looked into whether or not your community or surrounding communities have any Filipino population? I don't know where you are from but i am near the Cleveland, Ohio area, actually in one of the nearby suburbs. When my first filipina wife first got here some years ago, she started making Filipina friends almost immediately as we were out grocery shopping or at the malls or almost anywhere. I had been living in this area for over 10 years at the time and had not noticed a Filipino population (probably becasue i was not looking for it!) but they seemed to be everywhere once I started going around with my wife to places I had been frequenting all along except for the church (I converted from Baptist to Catholic after we married so our kids would grow up Catholic), so I had never been in nearby Catholic church before but there were quite a few Filipino families there, and also other places. Seemed everywhere we went she would meet at least one other Filipina and they would exchange phone numbers (this was back when e-mails and cell phones were not as popular as they are now) and next thing I knew they were inviting us to have dinner with them and them with us, etc and by the end of her first year here we had quite a circle of Filino friends of all ages. That was in her first year! It made it so much easier for her adjustment and also my family had accepted her before she came here and my mom would come and get her and be with her at our house and things like that helped also. My duaghter's Godfather is a Filipino we met during my ex's first year here.

Cleveland is not known, as far as I know for having a huge Filipino population, or at least not like San Diego or LA. But there are enough here so it doesn't take a whole lot to make a decent sized Filipino community cuz they all seem to know each other and all get along with each other and everyone else. Seems they can sense a new Filipino in the area and come out to greet (haha!)

Maybe you have already looked into this but if not might I suggest you local and surrounding Catholic churches and also if you have Asian supermarkets in your area or if you know of any (we have several in Cleveland Area) in surrounding Areas you can take her there to shop for the foods she likes and she will meet other Filipios there too and look up Filipino Cultural events on the internet for your Area cuz they will celebrate all thier traditional holidays and ceremonies and you can attend them at your leisure.

Even though my ex and I are divorced and seperated now for several years I still maintain contact with many of our Filipino friends and since my ex has moved out of state our old friends are eager to meet and help my fiancee to adjust and so is my mother and sisters and other family members.

I just offer these in case you have not anticipated any of this and what may be already available in your area because you mentioned that because of the sputum culture delay you will already be back at work by the time your fiancee gets here and she will be home alone a lot. Yes she will have to be sometimes but maybe not as much as you think depending on where you live and what Filipino population and cultural events are available there.

Hope this helps as I am not trying to tell you what to do or pry or anything, just I know what its like when your filipina bride is new here.

God bless!

03/15/2009 - Engaged

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Well, we just had our medical and now we get the two month delay for the sputum test. :ranting: I know a lot of others have had this same thing happen to them and now we're joining the club. By the way, does our club have a secret handshake? :lol:

Oh well, nothing we can do except keep on keeping on. :thumbs:

You better check your tone of voice or you're apt to get a verbal reprimand from someone. :lol:

Been there done that. We know it sucks to get so near the finish line and then be told you have to wait another 8+ weeks. :(

No secret handshake but there is a St. Lukes wave. It's easy to learn. 1st. bend elbows and raise your hands in front of you until level with shoulders 2nd..rotate wrists until back of each hand is facing St. Lukes.. 3rd..close each hand into a fist ...4th ..extend middle fingers ...5th...maintain position until you feel better...6th...repeat as needed. :)

Hang in there BJ. :thumbs: When it's all over and you two are finally together...the pain will be forgotten quickly. :yes:

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

You better check your tone of voice or you're apt to get a verbal reprimand from someone. :lol:

Been there done that. We know it sucks to get so near the finish line and then be told you have to wait another 8+ weeks. :(

No secret handshake but there is a St. Lukes wave. It's easy to learn. 1st. bend elbows and raise your hands in front of you until level with shoulders 2nd..rotate wrists until back of each hand is facing St. Lukes.. 3rd..close each hand into a fist ...4th ..extend middle fingers ...5th...maintain position until you feel better...6th...repeat as needed. :)

Hang in there BJ. :thumbs: When it's all over and you two are finally together...the pain will be forgotten quickly. :yes:

:rofl:

That was a great post. And thanks for teaching me the St. Lukes wave. It might come in handy.

It does suck, but like you said, it will be forgotten once she's here.

Thanks. :thumbs:

Off your original topic but with regards to your fiancee being home alone when she gets to the States. I'm wondering if you have looked into whether or not your community or surrounding communities have any Filipino population? I don't know where you are from but i am near the Cleveland, Ohio area, actually in one of the nearby suburbs. When my first filipina wife first got here some years ago, she started making Filipina friends almost immediately as we were out grocery shopping or at the malls or almost anywhere. I had been living in this area for over 10 years at the time and had not noticed a Filipino population (probably becasue i was not looking for it!) but they seemed to be everywhere once I started going around with my wife to places I had been frequenting all along except for the church (I converted from Baptist to Catholic after we married so our kids would grow up Catholic), so I had never been in nearby Catholic church before but there were quite a few Filipino families there, and also other places. Seemed everywhere we went she would meet at least one other Filipina and they would exchange phone numbers (this was back when e-mails and cell phones were not as popular as they are now) and next thing I knew they were inviting us to have dinner with them and them with us, etc and by the end of her first year here we had quite a circle of Filino friends of all ages. That was in her first year! It made it so much easier for her adjustment and also my family had accepted her before she came here and my mom would come and get her and be with her at our house and things like that helped also. My duaghter's Godfather is a Filipino we met during my ex's first year here.

Cleveland is not known, as far as I know for having a huge Filipino population, or at least not like San Diego or LA. But there are enough here so it doesn't take a whole lot to make a decent sized Filipino community cuz they all seem to know each other and all get along with each other and everyone else. Seems they can sense a new Filipino in the area and come out to greet (haha!)

Maybe you have already looked into this but if not might I suggest you local and surrounding Catholic churches and also if you have Asian supermarkets in your area or if you know of any (we have several in Cleveland Area) in surrounding Areas you can take her there to shop for the foods she likes and she will meet other Filipios there too and look up Filipino Cultural events on the internet for your Area cuz they will celebrate all thier traditional holidays and ceremonies and you can attend them at your leisure.

Even though my ex and I are divorced and seperated now for several years I still maintain contact with many of our Filipino friends and since my ex has moved out of state our old friends are eager to meet and help my fiancee to adjust and so is my mother and sisters and other family members.

I just offer these in case you have not anticipated any of this and what may be already available in your area because you mentioned that because of the sputum culture delay you will already be back at work by the time your fiancee gets here and she will be home alone a lot. Yes she will have to be sometimes but maybe not as much as you think depending on where you live and what Filipino population and cultural events are available there.

Hope this helps as I am not trying to tell you what to do or pry or anything, just I know what its like when your filipina bride is new here.

God bless!

There's some really good advice there. I know we don't have much of a Filipino community here, but I checked online and there are a few restaurants and stores. If nothing else, it's a starting point for her meeting people.

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.