W&M

Aruba POE information needed

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello again, Just posted a topic earlier on POE process. Between now and then I found out that since my fiance changes planes in Aruba, this will be the POE for the USA. Does anyone have any information which would help prepare and help her be as organized as possible, she only has a 2 hour layover in Aruba. Hind site is 20/20, If I had thought for a second that she would need to go through immigration in Aruba, I would have reserved a different flight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Edited by W&M

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

08/04/2010 In Love and starting the process

10/21/2010 My first trip to Brazil, Wonderful time

11/15/2010 Sent application for K1

11/22/2010 Application received Vermont Service Center

11/24/2010 Back on a plane to Brazil. Just cannot stay away for too long

12/01/2010 Recieved NOA1 The countdown begins

12/30/2010 Back on a plane to Brazil--Spending New Years Eve with my baby :)

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

05/12/2011 NOA2 Hardcopy received

05/17/2011 NVC Received file

05/19/2011 Consulate Received

06/14/2011 Interview-----APPROVED

06/22/2011 POE Aruba, on the way to Washington DC

as1cJQm0g410510MDAwNDZsfDAwOTAxNGx8U2luY2UgVmlzYSBBcHByb3ZhbA.gif

http://www.ticker.7910.org/dtas1cJQm0g410510MDAwNDZsfDAwOTAxNGx8U2luY2UgVmlzYSBBcHByb3ZhbA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Wally,

Ask John (another one from Pittsburgh who just flew back with his fiance from Brazil). Here is the link to his profile John's Profile

He has been super helpful with answering questions for me. Maybe he can describe the process better for you, but maybe not specifically for Aruba, but the general process. I have heard some people say it took 30 minutes and in busier airports I have heard longer.

I do know that she will talk with an immigration officer who will take the sealed envelope and process some information.. etc... then she will get her luggage and go through customs and after that she will recheck her bags and head to the gate for the next leg.

I hope he can help you.. I think he will shed some light on it.

Good Luck,

John

Edited by John & Mari

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

Wally,

Ask John (another one from Pittsburgh who just flew back with his fiance from Brazil). Here is the link to his profile John's Profile

He has been super helpful with answering questions for me. Maybe he can describe the process better for you, but maybe not specifically for Aruba, but the general process. I have heard some people say it took 30 minutes and in busier airports I have heard longer.

I do know that she will talk with an immigration officer who will take the sealed envelope and process some information.. etc... then she will get her luggage and go through customs and after that she will recheck her bags and head to the gate for the next leg.

I hope he can help you.. I think he will shed some light on it.

Good Luck,

John

Will contact him now, Thanks John

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

http://www.ticker.7910.org/dtas1cJQm0g410510MDAwNDZsfDAwOTAxNGx8U2luY2UgVmlzYSBBcHByb3ZhbA

Timeline

Will contact him now, Thanks John

Also Wally,

We leave monday and our POE is JFK. I will email you with what transpires for us before the weekend.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

Also Wally,

We leave monday and our POE is JFK. I will email you with what transpires for us before the weekend.

Sounds good, Very happy for you both. If Malena's POE was Miami I had planned on meeting her there and flying back to DC with her. I had no idea that Aruba would be her POE. It is the 2 hour layover time that I am concerned with. As you know she is pregnant and will have at least 2 bags--Am hoping the bags go through to DC. I also wrote the airline and explained our situation. I have asked for a little assistance to put her on the right path. I am sure you are excited :dance: :dance: :dance::thumbs: . Safe travels to you both

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

Timeline

Sounds good, Very happy for you both. If Malena's POE was Miami I had planned on meeting her there and flying back to DC with her. I had no idea that Aruba would be her POE. It is the 2 hour layover time that I am concerned with. As you know she is pregnant and will have at least 2 bags--Am hoping the bags go through to DC. I also wrote the airline and explained our situation. I have asked for a little assistance to put her on the right path. I am sure you are excited :dance: :dance: :dance::thumbs: . Safe travels to you both

The bags will have to be claimed at POE then through customs. Then they will be rechecked and proceed to destination from there. I haven't heard of any way around this. It is a security issue. It is good that you contacted the airlines. Request passenger assistance due to her being late in pregnancy and someone will meet her at gate with a wheelchair and she will get a ride instead of walking and they will assist her with bags I am sure of that. But she will have to claim them and go through customs prior to rechecking them. Miami will only be a connection, bags will continue on from Aruba. You are probably wise to worry a little about the 2 hour timeframe. But, I think she will be fine. Aruba isn't going to be as busy as Miami or LAX.

Edited by John & Mari

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Timeline

The bags will have to be claimed at POE then through customs. Then they will be rechecked and proceed to destination from there. I haven't heard of any way around this. It is a security issue. It is good that you contacted the airlines. Request passenger assistance due to her being late in pregnancy and someone will meet her at gate with a wheelchair and she will get a ride instead of walking and they will assist her with bags I am sure of that. But she will have to claim them and go through customs prior to rechecking them. Miami will only be a connection, bags will continue on from Aruba. You are probably wise to worry a little about the 2 hour timeframe. But, I think she will be fine. Aruba isn't going to be as busy as Miami or LAX.

I am hoping to speak to someone at the airport on Monday and explain the situation. Thanks for the reassurance. I am sure if the airport can assist we will be fine. Lets hope they are as hospitable as they sund on the website :help: . I called Miami today and they are the ones who let me know about Aruba being the POE. Very helpful in that aspect. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I can gain some ground with the Airport personnel in Aruba. Thanks again John

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am hoping to speak to someone at the airport on Monday and explain the situation. Thanks for the reassurance. I am sure if the airport can assist we will be fine. Lets hope they are as hospitable as they sund on the website :help: . I called Miami today and they are the ones who let me know about Aruba being the POE. Very helpful in that aspect. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I can gain some ground with the Airport personnel in Aruba. Thanks again John

good lord, the poe deals with immigration and foreign nationals every day of the week... the are equipped to handle it and don't need any explanations as they have dealt with it a hundreds of times before

YMMV

Timeline

good lord, the poe deals with immigration and foreign nationals every day of the week... the are equipped to handle it and don't need any explanations as they have dealt with it a hundreds of times before

You should read the post before replying. Has nothing to do with foriegn nationals doing thier job. Has to do with trying to get my fiance who speaks little english and is late in pregnancy through an airport she knows nothing about and through a process she has never been. All in a 2 hour window and still able to catch her connecting flight. Was only asking for help from people who know the process in Aruba. Have you been through the process in Aruba? If not, find another topic to unload your useless smartass remarks

Edited by W&M

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You should read the post before replying. Has nothing to do with foriegn nationals doing thier job. Has to do with trying to get my fiance who speaks little english and is late in pregnancy through an airport she knows nothing about and through a process she has never been. All in a 2 hour window and still able to catch her connecting flight. Was only asking for help from people who know the process in Aruba. Have you been through the process in Aruba? If not, find another topic to unload your useless smartass remarks

Maybe you should read more clearly...

First of all I am the one who told your uninformed self that Aruba is where the POE activities will occur. I have more a clue about the process than you.

Do you honestly think your situation is a first? Don't be ignorant to think that your fiancee is somehow the first non English speaking traveler to come to the USA who is unfamiliar with the airport and POE process and is pregnant.The POE handles situations similar to your fiancee's frequently and are equipped to handle NON-ENGLISH speaking travelers. They do it EVERY DAY.

Aruba = a small airport. Two hours will be fine.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Hello again, Just posted a topic earlier on POE process. Between now and then I found out that since my fiance changes planes in Aruba, this will be the POE for the USA. Does anyone have any information which would help prepare and help her be as organized as possible, she only has a 2 hour layover in Aruba. Hind site is 20/20, If I had thought for a second that she would need to go through immigration in Aruba, I would have reserved a different flight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

In many cases - 2hours to clear CBP and catch a connecting flight could be pushing the envelope of comfort (meaning, not much/any time for lollygagging). For example in very large airports and especially those that separate their international and domestic connections by different concourses. Most airlines take this into consideration when scheduling flights as well.

There must have been so few VJers who have used Aruba that it's not on our list of POE Reviews but judging by the very small size of the airport itself - I can't imagine there being an issue with time there. In all likelihood it will be a breeze. (There are only 8 total gates in the entire facility.)

Ground Floor Map

First Floor (Passenger area) map

Source

To clear CBP, she'll really simply need to present her passport (which will contain her visa) and hand over the 'do-not-open' brown envelope - there may/may-not be much interaction between her and the CBP officer.

Now Miami on the other hand, will be a stark contrast to the postage stamp of an airport in Aruba. Busy - everyone in a hurry and hard to find someone to help. What I've seen some members do is prepare a sheet of paper with a few key phrases (both in English and in their fiancé's native language) that she can point to when asking for assistance.

Things like:

I need assistance - my English is not so good, can you help me with (Where I need to go? What should I do? I'm pregnant, may I board first? etc etc and include "Can you call my fiance - he speaks English so he can help?) Or things of that nature. Seems to have worked for may folks in your position.

If she's never traveled before (or it's been limited) - you could go over the basics with her. Travel safety - don't lose the passport, how boarding passes work, how to make a phone call (a US cell phone might help) etc. Another international travel subject would be customs - she'll need to fill out a customs form (not sure if that would occur for Aruba or Miami - am guessing Miami - usually done on the flight itself. Source for this)

Just a few thoughts for the nervous dad/fiance.. :star:

Timeline

In many cases - 2hours to clear CBP and catch a connecting flight could be pushing the envelope of comfort (meaning, not much/any time for lollygagging). For example in very large airports and especially those that separate their international and domestic connections by different concourses. Most airlines take this into consideration when scheduling flights as well.

There must have been so few VJers who have used Aruba that it's not on our list of POE Reviews but judging by the very small size of the airport itself - I can't imagine there being an issue with time there. In all likelihood it will be a breeze. (There are only 8 total gates in the entire facility.)

Ground Floor Map

Source

To clear CBP, she'll really simply need to present her passport (which will contain her visa) and hand over the 'do-not-open' brown envelope - there may/may-not be much interaction between her and the CBP officer.

Now Miami on the other hand, will be a stark contrast to the postage stamp of an airport in Aruba. Busy - everyone in a hurry and hard to find someone to help. What I've seen some members do is prepare a sheet of paper with a few key phrases (both in English and in their fiancé's native language) that she can point to when asking for assistance.

Things like:

I need assistance - my English is not so good, can you help me with (Where I need to go? What should I do? I'm pregnant, may I board first? etc etc and include "Can you call my fiance - he speaks English so he can help?) Or things of that nature. Seems to have worked for may folks in your position.

If she's never traveled before (or it's been limited) - you could go over the basics with her. Travel safety - don't lose the passport, how boarding passes work, how to make a phone call (a US cell phone might help) etc. Another international travel subject would be customs - she'll need to fill out a customs form (not sure if that would occur for Aruba or Miami - am guessing Miami - usually done on the flight itself. Source for this)

Thank you for the much respected detailed information. Yes, there is definitely a degree of discomfort. I have been imagining the worst case scenario so the detailed information you provided is a much needed breath of fresh air. As for the prior post, am I uninformed--Absolutely! I will be the first to admit I have no idea of the operations in Aruba. Although Aruba might deal with this everyday, I do not. My post was strictly requesting information and although you may have been trying to assure me that they know the process, "it will be fine" is not always the best answer. Thank you again for the reply, best of luck to you.

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

Timeline

Ground Floor Map

Source

Things like:

Otto, just received info from Aruba. Requested flight number and full name. Airport attendant will be at the gate. Thanks so much for the information.

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

Timeline

Congratulations Wally on easing your/her nerves. Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy. Not too much more time before she will be delivering. :thumbs:

We will keep in touch via email and hopefully one day we can meet together and the girls can talk and we can eat..!!!

I am sure everything will go just fine.

Boa Sorte e Parabens...!!!!!

John and Mari

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Timeline

Congratulations Wally on easing your/her nerves. Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy. Not too much more time before she will be delivering. :thumbs:

We will keep in touch via email and hopefully one day we can meet together and the girls can talk and we can eat..!!!

I am sure everything will go just fine.

Boa Sorte e Parabens...!!!!!

John and Mari

Thanks John for all of the great information. We are doing the budget for her week in Rio. She has so many conflicting prices. This is the info she has obtained from the girls in Rio;

Citibank fee-R$665.00

Medical------R$320.00 This is 220 for medical plus 100.00 for blood work

Courier------us$50.00 She will be waiting for the visa in Rio

Does this sound very accurate?

Yes, we will definitely meet, Pitt is not far at all.

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.